Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion Women v Sheffield Ladies

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION WOMEN v SHEFFIELD LADIES
Sunday 12 November - 1pm, Culver Road, Lancing

This isn't a post for anyone who wants to dismiss women's football as 'boring', 'rubbish', nor 'it's only a men's game'. Or even 'no thanks'. If you feel that, skip the rest of this post, and head over to the next thread.

Brighton & Hove Albion Women have made an encouraging start to life in the Women's Super League Division 2 (WSL2) this season. While in 6th out of 10 after four matches, they're only two points off the top. This is the highest the team - first led by Amy Merricks but now with the legendary Hope Powell in charge - has ever been, and they're far from looking out of their depth.

This Sunday, while there's a men's international break, the Albion Women take on their counterparts from Sheffield at Culver Road, Lancing. The football on offer is fast, exciting, skillful and, in Ini Umotong, the Albion have a centre-forward with genuine pace, strength and an eye for a goal.

This is a great opportunity for anyone who hasn't yet been to see the Women play to go and support them. For me (others may disagree), if you're a fan of Brighton & Hove Albion, I don't see how you can support one Albion team and not any others.

In short, why not - EVEN IF JUST FOR THE SAKE OF ONE MATCH - head over to Lancing on Sunday to support Hope Powell's ever-improving team? They could really do with your support and, who knows; bringing your daughter/niece and their friends along, it could well inspire them to want to take up football for the super Seagulls...

For the sake of one match, they could really do with us going along mob-handed to support them. Tickets are £8.00 in advance or a tenner on the door - and a whole single quid for the kids. No concessions for regular STHs.

See you there.

Oh, it is Culver Road, it's cold there even in June. Weather forecast is for bright sunshine, but wrap up warm.

hope powell wide.jpg.gallery.jpg

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
With Umotong in good form, I think we can continue our good start to the season and go into the break with another win.

Hope there will be a good crowd to support the team. Am disappointed to miss it, but will be away. Hopefully I'll be able to keep in touch with whats going on via Twitter!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I think the number of responses to the post show exactly how much interest there is in women's football.

As far as if you're a fan of Brighton & Hove Albion, I don't see how you can support one Albion team and not any others, if I go to see the youth teams I can look for possible future 1st X1 stars, if I go to watch the women's team .... ??

N17

Jun 21, 2011
I see Lewes Ladies vs CAFC and Spurs Ladies vs Donny bother got crowds of over 400 yesterday.
Definitely getting more popular slowly but surely.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
If you're a fan of Brighton & Hove Albion, I don't see how you can support one Albion team and not any others.

It's quite easy, actually. :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, I went along to the game yesterday. Despite it being 'the Albion' playing, I didn't really find myself 'into it'. I came away feeling very much like I'd just been to watch a game as a neutral. I accept that's probably more of an issue for myself than anything else, but that's how I felt.

buddyboy01

Sep 24, 2012
I took my 6 year old daughter and her friend to the match yesterday - first time either of them had been to see football - they both loved it, and are keen to go again. I wasn't expecting much, but I really enjoyed it, and the standard of football was very good. Absolutely ball freezing, though!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think the number of responses to the post show exactly how much interest there is in women's football.

As far as if you're a fan of Brighton & Hove Albion, I don't see how you can support one Albion team and not any others, if I go to see the youth teams I can look for possible future 1st X1 stars, if I go to watch the women's team .... ??

... then you can see the women's team, with (at least) four internationals. Problem?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
... then you can see the women's team, with (at least) four internationals. Problem?

Yes, because women's international football is of absolutely no interest to me and therefore seeing international players is not an attraction. I'm sure that most on here (like me) couldn't name one member of the England women's team, nor for that matter one member of the Brighton team.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes, because women's international football is of absolutely no interest to me and therefore seeing international players is not an attraction. I'm sure that most on here (like me) couldn't name one member of the England women's team, nor for that matter one member of the Brighton team.

Oh, most could name one. But even if you couldn't, that probably says more about you than the women's teams in question.

But you clearly have such little interest in women's football, you deemed it fit that to come on here and tell us - on a thread about women's football - that you don't care or don't know anything about women's football. Thanks for that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
"if you're a fan of Brighton & Hove Albion, I don't see how you can support one Albion team and not any others.""

What a ridiculous suggestion.

As many people say it is an entirely different game so it is quite possible for somebody to like 1 but not the other.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Oh, most could name one. But even if you couldn't, that probably says more about you than the women's teams in question.

No they couldn’t. What do you mean by the second point, out of interest? Do we all have to be bothered about women’s football now? Because I’d guess at least 95% of our fan base couldn’t be more uninterested in it. I don’t really understand this constant need to pretend otherwise.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's bizarre, isn't it?

Some of the biggest detractors of women's football who drone on and on about how little they know or care about women's football are all on this thread (even though it's a subject matter they know or care little about), letting everyone know - just in case they missed it the first dozen or so times - how little they know or care about women's football.

Who knew that was going to happen?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here