Chopped onion(s)
Canned chopped tomatoes
Finely diced red pepper
Sweet corn
Chilli powder to your taste
Jeera/Cumin, eg. 1.5 tablespoons per 750g of mince
Salt and Pepper
Scotch bonnets either finely diced or just punctured
Borlotti beans (none of that Kidney bean crap)
Knorr chicken stock pot
------
Basmati rice
Grated Mozzarella

Edit: Totally forgot the garlic! Essential! My taste is to go for lots of it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Made it with pulled pork before (as had loads left over after a party) and it was delicious!

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
I slow cook the hell out of it, 10hrs in the oven on a low heat. Never make it with mince, use a cut like beef cheeks or shin. Never use jar sauce, spice mix is easy to make (or use the Schwartz mix if you can’t be bothered, it’s the best tasting alternative) and I add fresh sliced jalapeños, about an hour from the end I add a couple of tablespoons of 100% cacao, sainso and Waitrose sells Willy’s 100% in the baking aisle.... perfect chilli every time.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Did this receipe for my daughter who is at Uni. Just add a couple of tins of kidney beans 15 minutes before end and as much dried chili flakes as you like at beginning to turn it into a chili.

Spag Bol serves 6/8

3 packs of mince 400gm
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
I large carton of Passata (Sieved tomatoes)
3 onions
3/4 cloves of garlic
One carrot
One/ two Romano red pepper
Dried herbs (mixed)
3 Bay leaves
Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce
One beef stock cube/pod (Oxo or Knorr)
Oil
Salt and pepper

Can be cooked on top of the oven but it's easier if cooked in the oven 170c for 1hour and fifteen minutes.
If cooking on top of the oven bring to boil then simmer on a low heat. Stir every now and then to stop it sticking ( not needed if cooked in oven).

Process
Dice vegetables including garlic into small pieces or put in a food processor and blitz.
In large pot heat oil and and vegetables and stir for a few minutes to cook.

In a separate frying pan brown the mince then add to pot.

Then add the tomatoes, passata, herbs, 6/7 shakes of Lea & Perrins, beef stock) then to the pot. Stir together bring to boil and simmer.

Cook for 1hr 15 minutes in oven at 170c

Last edited:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
A wee pinch of ground cloves can add a bit of zing, not too much though, literally a pinch or it will make the whole thing taste bitter.

Also, I use beef chunks (pack of stewing steak is ok) with the mince, adds more beef flavour, and texture.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Along with the usual I use thinly sliced celery, black pepper, brown sauce, coriander, thinly sliced red chillies, cornflour and soured cream, plus I mix the rice into it in the pan rather than serve the CCC on top of the rice.

Being a left wing vegetarian (the two aren't mutually exclusive) I use Quorn mince and a substitute for soured cream.

Good call on jalapeños above btw. Might have to try them in my next CCC.

Are you looking for the chilli sin carne thread?! :)

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
My good lady wife does an amazing CCC but how she does it I have not a clue!! I am a CCC super fan! and have tried it in many places around the world, but the wife's CCC is without doubt the best!

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
stagg.jpg

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
We love a chilli in our house and I spent a while looking at a lot of recipes. The one that does it for us is by Thomasina Miers in her “Mexican food made simple” book. Slow cooked with slices of beef which are shredded before the end. But it is the mix of spices she uses which makes it so good. I don’t worry too much about getting the exact chilliest that she recommends as some are hard to get.

This is the recipe, definitely my favourite.

Ingredients:
1 kg braising beef steak, cut into large chunks
1 ring chorizo piccante, cut into mouth-sized chunks
3 onions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 chillies, chopped - try to use half ancho (sweet and smoky), half arbol (hot!). If not, 1-2 scotch bonnets and 2 others such as serrano will provide a substitute, but you may need to increase the smoky-sweetness in another way (see below)
1 tsp whole cloves
3 bay leaves
1 medium cinnamon stick
2 tsp ground cumin (freshly ground from toasted seeds if possible)
2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp dried oregano
3 tbsps cider vinegar
2 tbsps tomato ketchup
2 tbsps dark brown soft sugar (if you can't get ancho chillies, try using molasses instead of sugar to give a richer, smokier flavour)
2 tins whole plum tomatoes
330ml water
150g dried red kidney beans, borlotti beans or pinto beans, soaked overnight before rinsing and boiling in fresh water for one hour; or one tin cooked beans (about 225g)

Method:
Preheat oven to 120oC.

Heat 2 tbsps olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot/casserole until very hot before sealing the beef on all sides in three batches. Remove the meat once brown to a dish and set aside.

Fry the chorizo in this pan until golden and beginning to crisp, before also removing this and setting it aside. Reduce the heat and add the chopped onions, chopped garlic and chopped chillies. Cook until soft (10mins).

Once the onions have softened, add the cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cumin, allspice and oregano and cook for 1-2 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a separate bowl mix the vinegar, ketchup, sugar (and/or molasses). Add this 'stock' to the onion mixture along with the tinned tomatoes and water before returning all the meat to the pan.

Cover the pot and put into the oven for 4 hours. Add beans after 3 1/2 hours.

At the end of this time, you may find that you need to reduce the liquid a little, this can be done on the hob. Before serving, the chunks of meat should be beautifully tender and will need to be torn/broken down using two forks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Chilli and Spag Bol are 2 things that I will never buy in a pub as I know how I like them and people always make them different usually with their own slant on the original.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Chilli and Spag Bol are 2 things that I will never buy in a pub as I know how I like them and people always make them different usually with their own slant on the original.

I agree with this, but I would also would not order either of them because both dishes are basically boring, nothing more than flavoured mince, one with some pasta mixed in.
Even in the most average of eateries there should be far better and tastier fayre on offer.
I dont mind CCC but only as a quick, warming winter meal with fresh, hot, crusty bread (and Worcester sauce is a must) when you do not have the time to make something better.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Nobody has mentioned kidney beans in chilli water in a can , I always use these. Perfect for the wife and then I add a little more chilli flakes for me. Anyone tried them?
Although I love our chilli which we probably have once a week, definitely going to try a few new once mentioned here.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here