Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone got a hybrid car ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Thinking of changing the car as part of retirement planning and I reckon we'd suit a hybrid; I work from home, the Mrs has a van at the mo but might have to commute to the office in future (about a mile so she can cycle if weather's ok). We do a few 50/100 mile trips a year and Devon a couple of times.
I don't want to go full electric (yet) so was looking at a Toyota Yaris.

Any "real world" experiences of hybrids in general and Yaris in particular ?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Thinking of changing the car as part of retirement planning and I reckon we'd suit a hybrid; I work from home, the Mrs has a van at the mo but might have to commute to the office in future (about a mile so she can cycle if weather's ok). We do a few 50/100 mile trips a year and Devon a couple of times.

I have a 2016 Auris Hybrid and have driven the Yaris as a loan car .

The Yaris is OK , a bit slower and has a simpler rear suspension set up but will use less fuel around town .

Beware if you are buying from a Toyota dealer on their finance deals as you may well end up paying the same amount overall for a 6 month demonstrator as a new car with discounts .

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I drive a plug in hybrid. Gets about 30-50 miles on pure electric before switching over to petrol. I absolutely love it, rarely use petrol except on long journeys and even then get about 60-70MPG depending on how heavy my right foot is.

Sadly they no longer make the car I own (Vauxhall Ampera) but I would highly recommend one

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I drive a plug in hybrid. Gets about 30-50 miles on pure electric before switching over to petrol. I absolutely love it, rarely use petrol except on long journeys and even then get about 60-70MPG depending on how heavy my right foot is.

Sadly they no longer make the car I own (Vauxhall Ampera) but I would highly recommend one

The Ampera was a car ahead of its time , I guess the high list price counted against it .

I also get 60-70mpg on a run depending on the volume of traffic and ambient temperature .

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
The Ampera was a car ahead of its time , I guess the high list price counted against it .

I also get 60-70mpg on a run depending on the volume of traffic and ambient temperature .

Yeah I think you are right. I got mine second hand for a really good price. Obviously there is risk attached due to them being discontinued but currently my nearest Vauxhall dealership still supports it for servicing etc. Nicest car I've ever driven.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I have an Outlander PHEV - it's perfect for our family situation. I work at home and my wife works locally so we do lots of very short journeys, nearly all within the 20-25 electric range. Once we use it for a long journey its not so good as it is pretty uneconomical to drive on petrol (30mpg). Despite this, it costs a lot less to run than our old diesel estate. Driving on electriv is also really nice - instant, smooth power from standstill and super quiet.

We are looking at getting the new Golf GTE as a second car since it has the PHEV benefits but also is economical on the petrol when I do longer journeys.

You'll find that all plug-in hybrids have a 20-40 mile range on a charge so its best if you're doing short journeys (even better if you can charge at work after a commute).

I think we'll move to a pure electric car in 3-4 years as the next generation coming out looks like it'll have 300-400+ mile range.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I have an Outlander PHEV - it's perfect for our family situation. I work at home and my wife works locally so we do lots of very short journeys, nearly all within the 20-25 electric range. Once we use it for a long journey its not so good as it is pretty uneconomical to drive on petrol (30mpg). Despite this, it costs a lot less to run than our old diesel estate. Driving on electriv is also really nice - instant, smooth power from standstill and super quiet.

We are looking at getting the new Golf GTE as a second car since it has the PHEV benefits but also is economical on the petrol when I do longer journeys.

You'll find that all plug-in hybrids have a 20-40 mile range on a charge so its best if you're doing short journeys (even better if you can charge at work after a commute).

I think we'll move to a pure electric car in 3-4 years as the next generation coming out looks like it'll have 300-400+ mile range.

Very similar to my experience of PHEVs. I'm saving my pennies for a Tesla, might be able to afford one in the next century. :)

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

For winter driving heated seats are well worth specifying as it can take a while for the cab temp to rise to an acceptable level in a hybrid . For short trips using the seat heaters with climate control off will save fuel . Only downside of that with the Toyota auris range you need the higher spec models to get the heated seats but the higher the spec the larger the wheels . 17inch wheels will use approx 10% more fuel than 15 inch and tire costs will be almost double . Also if you do a lot of night driving the LED headlights in the top of the range most recent versions are a must .My 2104 Auris Excell had standard bulbs and was dangerous on anything other than straight roads .

Best site for advise is the Toyota owners club forums , you don't have to register :-

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/59-toyota-forums/

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My partner has a Yaris and loves it, no problems at all in the three years or so he's been driving it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Obviously depends on your tariff/supplier but for me it works out roughly £1 for a full charge which gives me 30-50 miles depending on weather conditions/driving style
Thanks, so 2 or 3 pence/mile. Not bad.

Is the technology progressing much at the moment? Are the batteries getting much smaller/lighter, can the motors be improved much, are they getting cheaper to make?

D

Deleted member 2719

Hybrids just turn me off, aren't they just an upgrade on golf buggys and the full electric car is just a posh milk float?

I mean why do it???

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Thanks, so 2 or 3 pence/mile. Not bad.

Is the technology progressing much at the moment? Are the batteries getting much smaller/lighter, can the motors be improved much, are they getting cheaper to make?

Yes to all of those questions. I reckon in 5 years most new cars will be hybrid/electric. I bought my car for £10k with 60,000 miles on the clock. It has heated leather seats, DVD/HDD player, DAB radio, preheat function (which is AMAZING in Winter), reverse parking camera, parking sensors and is nice to drive/look at. For that price it was a no brainer for me

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Hybrids just turn me off, aren't they just an upgrade on golf buggys and the full electric car is just a posh milk float?

I mean why do it???

Here's a "posh milk float" out dragging a Lamborghini Aventador over a quarter mile. I don't remember the feller from Unigate mentioning that though...
[yt]_NnNEuxqoPo[/yt]

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009

what he said. outlander PHEV. perfect for 18 mile commute to brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here