Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] If you're interested in Bitcoins (or simply tech) read this...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there was a chap years ago that throw out his harddrive with thousands of bitcoin on. worth many millions today. think theres a few stories like this and they'll be some on the scams and con tricks in the years to come.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Great read, cheers for that. And a brave tech writer who admits to writing his critical PIN and keywords down on a bit of paper, then not even securing the bit of paper. Sake! :dunce:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’m wondering what the odds are that his PIN was the same as mine. Given he’s presumably changed his, there seems little point in me changing mine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Plenty of people in that position. Lost some myself :(

How did you lose yours? Mine went in the Mt Gox theft. I’m pondering buying some more as I’m really interested in this alternative currency.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Great read, cheers for that. And a brave tech writer who admits to writing his critical PIN and keywords down on a bit of paper, then not even securing the bit of paper. Sake! :dunce:

,.....he owns and runs a very popular website as well.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Friend of mine bought bought a load of Bitcoins in the early days but ended up mainly using them to buy drugs off Silk Road. For some stupid reason he left 10 in his account on there and when it got shut down lost the lot. Funnily enough he doesn't like to talk about it :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Friend of mine bought bought a load of Bitcoins in the early days but ended up mainly using them to buy drugs off Silk Road. For some stupid reason he left 10 in his account on there and when it got shut down lost the lot. Funnily enough he doesn't like to talk about it :lolol:

He got off lightly, someone from a gym my friend uses traded on Silk Road....and the German authorities have just jailed him.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
How did you lose yours? Mine went in the Mt Gox theft. I’m pondering buying some more as I’m really interested in this alternative currency.

Mine was stupidly writing down my backup words on a scrap of paper which got thrown away. At the time I wasn't that bothered as they were worth about £50 and I thought the project was dead in the water. I then took my eye of the game until April this year, when I discovered that I could've had a thousand quid. Constantly kicking myself about it but nothing I can do. The rest I sold at £100/bitcoin (3 times what I paid!) Lost a little on Vicurex too.

A friend's family lost circa. £3,000 worth on MTGox (now worth an eye-watering £165,000!) The moral of the story - don't store them in one place.

Quite optimistic about some of the alternative currencies, particularly MaidSafe / Safecoin.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mine was stupidly writing down my backup words on a scrap of paper which got thrown away. At the time I wasn't that bothered as they were worth about £50 and I thought the project was dead in the water. I then took my eye of the game until April this year, when I discovered that I could've had a thousand quid. Constantly kicking myself about it but nothing I can do. The rest I sold at £100/bitcoin (3 times what I paid!) Lost a little on Vicurex too.

A friend's family lost circa. £3,000 worth on MTGox (now worth an eye-watering £165,000!) The moral of the story - don't store them in one place.

Quite optimistic about some of the alternative currencies, particularly MaidSafe / Safecoin.

My MtGox money is now worth just over 40k now I believe. I must point out I bought in for way way way less than this many years ago like your friends friend. But, I didn’t buy in to make money....more for fun, interest and to support the concept. Still, 40k buys you a few nice craft beers.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My MtGox money is now worth just over 40k now I believe. I must point out I bought in for way way way less than this many years ago like your friends friend. But, I didn’t buy in to make money....more for fun, interest and to support the concept. Still, 40k buys you a few nice craft beers.

The weird thing is, all the lost coins (Not sure if the mtgox ones count, are they lost or stolen?) Effectively no longer exist, theoretically putting up the value of the rest... though it's impossible to tell how many are lost.

They're a lot easier to buy now than they were in the mtgox days, with three cashpoints in Brighton!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
It's something I've been interested in, but never got involved in. Recently watched a good series online called Startups about a cryptocurrency.
If one were to toe dip, where would be a good starting point?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's something I've been interested in, but never got involved in. Recently watched a good series online called Startups about a cryptocurrency.
If one were to toe dip, where would be a good starting point?

I'm no expert but would suggest the following:

Do lots of reading, there are a number of good forums, like https://bitcointalk.org/.

If you decide to buy any, don't spend anything you can't afford to lose.

The safest places to buy seem to be either bitbargain.co.uk, or a bitcoin ATM - there is a map here: https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-atm-map/.

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
Crazy week in Crytocurrency.

$300m locked up due to a bug with parity wallet.

The Bitcoin fork was cancelled, with tons of money bet on the futures market of 2x - all now lost - Bitcoin surged then dropped in the space of an hour.

Nearly all ALT coins up 20% on the fork news.

Whole market at all time high of over $200b.

It's the modern day goldrush.....with no rules or regulations....love it.

ETH, ARK, LISK, NEO, PAY, REQ,

:clap2:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Been driven by classic human greed, will have no sympathy for those who lose their shirts on this one

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here