Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Southern Fail - Strike tomorrow and Thursday

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I'm trying to get from Worthing to Manchester by train tomorrow morning do I have any chance of making the Worthing to Victoria stretch on time so I can get my Manchester train?

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Worthing to Victoria direct dumped the guards nearly a year ago, you should be fine.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
According to Clapham Junction yesterday there will be serious disruption to the Southern service and queuing will be in place on platforms, I'd take it being fine a little dubious, but you may be lucky. I'm driving to Notting Hill for the next two days, not much fun but I don't trust the railway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
According to Clapham Junction yesterday there will be serious disruption to the Southern service and queuing will be in place on platforms, I'd take it being fine a little dubious, but you may be lucky. I'm driving to Notting Hill for the next two days, not much fun but I don't trust the railway.

wouldnt that be South Western who also have a strike, more impacted as they'll actually have staff off? as far i see from trains running in previous strikes, Southern OBS staff are not taking part (a lot of new faces).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
8.32 West Worthing to Victoria cancelled [emoji849]

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
wouldnt that be South Western who also have a strike, more impacted as they'll actually have staff off? as far i see from trains running in previous strikes, Southern OBS staff are not taking part (a lot of new faces).

Southern are definitely part of this strike, there are 5 rail companies all told. How much participation involves Southern I have no idea, but I wasn't taking the chance.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Absolute breeze getting into Victoria this morning. The strike is totally ineffectual.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Another vote for service is better on strike days than normal.

Also I feel the service has improved an awful lot since DOO. So credit where credit is due Southern.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Another vote for service is better on strike days than normal.

Also I feel the service has improved an awful lot since DOO. So credit where credit is due Southern.

Helps when you have a few mp's on your line that southern bend backwards to please.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Southern are definitely part of this strike, there are 5 rail companies all told. How much participation involves Southern I have no idea, but I wasn't taking the chance.

though Southern staff maybe striking, since they already transitioned from guards to OBS/DOO the impact is next to nothing. even had my ticket checked this morning.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
RMT Strikes usually make the trains a lot better.

This has certainly been my experience. Fewer trains but those that do run are on time and all have a decent number of carriages.

Are the strikes still about who gets to push the button to open and close the doors? I lost interest long ago.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here