Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transport to/from The Amex

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I've been in correspondence over the past few days with Paul Barber regarding transport to and from The Amex.

The Albion's sustainable transport system is highly subsidised by the club, and it's agreed that it generally works well, and with sell out crowds patience will sometimes be required.

My initial idea was to have a meeting with the Transport Manager of the club, bringing together a group of people who use different methods of transport to/from the ground to discuss if there were any ways that P&R, trains, Bridge car park, uni car parking etc. could possibly be improved.

Such a meeting is not going to happen, partly because PB informed me the club doesn't have a Transport Manager, but the club is 'happy to receive suggestions'.

Rather than lots of emails to PB, if anyone has any (sensible)suggestions regarding transport, please put them on this thread and I'll put them in one email to him by the end of the week.

Cheers.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Re-hire a transport manager, maybe? Perhaps one with a little more humility and a can-do attitude than the last?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tony Bloom needs to fund a monorail straight into Brighton centre, or even a travelator.

Honestly I'm not sure what more the club can do about most of the transport options available. Maybe better stewarding and more barriers on the train queues, especially as a lot of away fans are still walking straight down towards The Bridge car park - not that is a bad thing for us home fans in the queue.

Park & Ride has always worked well when I've used it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Traffic management in the bridge car park would be better than the free-for-all overseen by youths with no interest, or authority, to do anything to speed up the exit, or sequence the cars moving along the different queues.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Here is a cut and paste from a post I made about the Bridge car park last week. I'd be grateful to hear of Paul Barbers ideas about it please:

This is a problem for hundreds of people (I had stayed behind for nearly an hour after the game Sunday but still had almost an hours wait at the car park). We are encouraged to stay behind and enjoy a drink/food after the game and then the queues will have subsided, in theory. In practice, this isn't how it is. There are two problems in my opinion. First, the number of people walking back to Brighton who then have to either cross the road before the bridge or who walk under it. There's nothing short of building a walkway over the road that will ameliorate this and the difficulty is emphasised by the success of the club and there is no complaint there. The second problem, and I think it's one the club/police could help with, is the lights after the bridge. The queue builds up for westbound traffic and stops any flow after the pedestrians have subsided. This means large amounts of time are spent waiting when there is little or no traffic from the east or west on the a27 and the car park remains gridlocked. Once or perhaps twice, the Police have directed traffic manually and the improvement was noticeable. I would love to know why this option can't be utilised, particularly as we are facing sell-outs for pretty much all the weekend games (or if briefly the traffic light sequencing could be altered to allow for greater traffic from the car park). In addition, the stewards have twice to my knowledge cleared the car park from the top first instead of allowing equal numbers from each area of the car park to leave by turn, this is grossly unfair on those parked towards the bottom.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Allow coaches / buses to use the left hand lane on the A27 slip road to speed up P&R buses going back for further pick up's. Some do it anyway and many cars also do it. Need some traffic marshals at top of slip road.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I demand a helli-pad now I know how to buy high end transport and claim back the VAT

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The situation in Village Way will be eased when the TV Lorry Park is finished. It goes without saying that the dropping off and picking up in cars should not be permitted within 1 hour before kick off and 1 hour after the game but I am not sure how it can be enforced. Perhaps the answer is to put barriers up and not allow cars up that road that do not have a parking permit for the uni or health centre but I dont think that would go down very well. Asking for co-operation will not work either as most peoples attitude unfortunately is blow you jack I am alright and will continue to do what I do now as long as I can.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
In addition, the stewards have twice to my knowledge cleared the car park from the top first instead of allowing equal numbers from each area of the car park to leave by turn, this is grossly unfair on those parked towards the bottom.

Re above having always parked in bottom of Bridge car park last season and parked at top a couple of times this season - it takes just as long from top - actually feels longer as from higher up you can see all other cars leaving

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
The situation in Village Way will be eased when the TV Lorry Park is finished. It goes without saying that the dropping off and picking up in cars should not be permitted within 1 hour before kick off and 1 hour after the game but I am not sure how it can be enforced. Perhaps the answer is to put barriers up and not allow cars up that road that do not have a parking permit for the uni or health centre but I dont think that would go down very well. Asking for co-operation will not work either as most peoples attitude unfortunately is blow you jack I am alright and will continue to do what I do now as long as I can.

Can’t believe how long it has taken to build this extension to the car park

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Fully enforce the no pick up in Village Way, and stop all cars coming up from the University of Brighton Campus and Virgin Gym at Maryland House, to enable 25 bus to turn round and continue route into town without being stuck in traffic. This would also allow any overflow of buses or coaches on Village Way to safely turn road using this option.

This would only need to be in place until the coach park had cleared

Also would an additional option be for a further fleet of buses to run after the game between the Amex and Brighton Station thereby reducing the volumes looking to use the train option back into town. This could just be extending the current P+R route from Mithas House to the station after the game

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
In addition, the stewards have twice to my knowledge cleared the car park from the top first instead of allowing equal numbers from each area of the car park to leave by turn, this is grossly unfair on those parked towards the bottom.

Re above having always parked in bottom of Bridge car park last season and parked at top a couple of times this season - it takes just as long from top - actually feels longer as from higher up you can see all other cars leaving

I presume both paragraphs refer to the Bridge Car park?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The club could put a bit of shelter up where the bus queues stand ....

I think it would be useful if the club/transport people ran a ticket based P&R system so people might have a better of idea of a time band when to start queuing.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
From the first of PB's emails to me.

'We don't have a transport manager, because we don't control transport. We never have'

Odd. I have an email from an ex club employee who put as his job title “Transport Manager”. Perhaps he appointed himself to that role and it wasn’t official? :shrug:

Edit: just seen Bozza’s reply earlier in the thread. I’ll add... perhaps PB’s reply is bollocks.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've used the racecourse P&R for the last two games out of necessity (usually use Mill Rd). Need to steward the queue after the game as there are far to many people wandering up and jumping in. Might be that there is inadequate signage and/or no barriers.

If there was one big change that would help it would be escalators to WSU!!!!

el punal

Any chance of an additional Park and Ride site that is NOT situated in Brighton? Yes, I know Mill Road is adjacent to the A23 but it is a pain to get to from the A27 for evening games. I was under the impression that there was talk of a P&R scheme to be in place outside Lewes (A27) or even further up the A23 at Pyecombe. Would any, like those, or further afield be a feasible option?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I cycle most games. This season it has been difficult to find somewhere to lock a bike as there is simply not enough official rack space. It has been exacerbated by the decision to post up threatening notices that bikes will be removed if locked to the fencing boardering the station. If it was easier maybe more like me would use a bike aand there would be less cars but the club doesnt seem to encourage it.

A second thing is that people queuing to get down to the platform to Lewes are blocking the people trying to just cross the railway bridge to get to the university car pack or the walk back to Coldean Lane.

I know this is a result of our sucess..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here