Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Louis Theroux - Scientology

2 Not allowed!
    Surprised no thread on this (unless I've missed)

Documentary on BBC Two last night. Seems an absolutely crazy cult, where they are brainwashing people and keeping them against their will.

Louis was absolutely class throughout though.
    "He scores with his face......."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Chinman3000 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Surprised no thread on this (unless I've missed)

Documentary on BBC Two last night. Seems an absolutely crazy cult, where they are brainwashing people and keeping them against their will.

Louis was absolutely class throughout though.
      Its been around for a while. Hopefully it is on Iplayer as I havent seen it for a while.
      Members

4 Not allowed!
      Am a big fan of LT and this looked like a really clever idea and a worthwhile target. But I'm not sure the format worked: the idea of making a movie just seemed contrived & artificial somehow and over-extended the programme. But the net effect was fun and disturbing at the same time.

0 Not allowed!
      It's been around for awhile and was given a limited release in cinemas about a year back. An interesting take on it by having actors play scenes alleged to have taken place inside the "church" and something that differentiated it from the Going Clear documentary. What was interesting was that Marty Rathburn, the guy that had eft the church, was painted as hard done by in Going Clear. By the end of the Louis Theorux documentary it was hard to escape the impression that Rathburn was just a bit of a arse. I've limited sympathy for the life he now has to live.

Plus, you were right. Theroux was class throughout. He's just so calm and English when faced with confrontational Scientologists. I thought he was admirable but then I am a bit of a suppressive person.
      Albion and Rhinos forever.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Munkfish View Post
      Its been around for a while. Hopefully it is on Iplayer as I havent seen it for a while.
      Ah didn't realise it wasn't new
      "He scores with his face......."

1 Not allowed!
      Too big to be a cult, it is now recognised as a religion. People mock it obviously but I see similarities to other religions too to be honest. The Going Clear documentary is superb viewing if you fancy some more about the views of Scientology.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry Nelson's teacher View Post
      Am a big fan of LT and this looked like a really clever idea and a worthwhile target. But I'm not sure the format worked: the idea of making a movie just seemed contrived & artificial somehow and over-extended the programme. But the net effect was fun and disturbing at the same time.
      A fair point and one I chewed over. In the end I gave it a pass but I quite understand why others did not. My daughter is a big Theroux devotee and went to see it at the cinema and she tended to agree with your view too.

I felt that as it was made as a movie rather than a TV programme a longer running time was fine. Given that he'd spent years trying to speak to people within the church and been denied this was a means of portraying events within the church as told by those that had left it.
      Albion and Rhinos forever.

1 Not allowed!
      I thought it was 'racist' to speak negatively about an ideology..

0 Not allowed!
      There are two sides to every story. The "Church" of Scientology is extremely over possessive and those on the fence become victims. For myself I believe in the ideas of L. Ron Hubbard but the "Church" not unlike the christian church is skewed from it's purpose and should be disbanded.
      Quote Originally Posted by ac gull View Post
      common sense is not actually that common these days
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
      Too big to be a cult, it is now recognised as a religion. People mock it obviously but I see similarities to other religions too to be honest.
      the whole origin of it was to create a "religion" to avoid taxes in the US. it basically started a spoof, a joke bet between Hubbard and a mate that grew out of control. the guy was a SciFi writer and comparisons to other religions are unfair on them (and i say that as an athiest). the ideas have less validity than Lucas's Jedi concept, at least he was drawing upon some well meaning spirituality.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.