Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Playing no recognised striker - in fashion

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Everton, Palace and now Arsenal today are all trying this.

Needs must to eke out vital points, I suppose.

Everton don't have one. Palace have injuries so don't have one. Arsenal often play with Sanchez upfront, is he less a striker than Lacazette?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
But it comes down to tactics doesn't it? Today, Arsene Wenger decided to go with the pace and mobility of Sanchez rather than the very static Giroud and the lazy Lacazette.

I think Palace's decision to play a couple of turds in attack was because they felt they could get at Spurs back 3. Obviously, in both cases it has failed miserably.

Everton have Sandro and Rooney who are both number 9s in my opinion, not to mention Niasse who is remarakbly underrated.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But it comes down to tactics doesn't it? Today, Arsene Wenger decided to go with the pace and mobility of Sanchez rather than the very static Giroud and the lazy Lacazette.

I think Palace's decision to play a couple of turds in attack was because they felt they could get at Spurs back 3. Obviously, in both cases it has failed miserably.

Everton have Sandro and Rooney who are both number 9s in my opinion, not to mention Niasse who is remarakbly underrated.

= nil points.

A typical comment on arsenal-mania.com this afternoon:

"Should've been sacked already. He gets so many chances and repeats the same season over and over. I feel sick.

His team selections have been questionable all season, yet the people upstairs allow him to go on in his deluded word. Absolutely disgraceful and disgusting and to top it off, the fans continue to go and pay high prices to watch this drivel. Theyll forget about it by next week, like nothing happened."

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
= nil points.

A typical comment on arsenal-mania.com this afternoon:

"Should've been sacked already. He gets so many chances and repeats the same season over and over. I feel sick.

His team selections have been questionable all season, yet the people upstairs allow him to go on in his deluded word. Absolutely disgraceful and disgusting and to top it off, the fans continue to go and pay high prices to watch this drivel. Theyll forget about it by next week, like nothing happened."

Sure, but without looking it up - didn't Sanchez play as a lone striker when Arsenal won 2-0 at City a couple of years ago? The basic concept is fair enough and tactically you can understand what they were trying to do. Set up to play on the counter attack with pace on the break and loads of fluidity up front. Had they nicked a 1-0 win, the whole conversation is different.

Personally, I prefer a Murray to play off.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sure, but without looking it up - didn't Sanchez play as a lone striker when Arsenal won 2-0 at City a couple of years ago? The basic concept is fair enough and tactically you can understand what they were trying to do. Set up to play on the counter attack with pace on the break and loads of fluidity up front. Had they nicked a 1-0 win, the whole conversation is different.

Personally, I prefer a Murray to play off.

City have finally sorted out their defence since then.

Lacazette's goal proved Wenger was wrong.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
City have finally sorted out their defence since then.

Lacazette's goal proved Wenger was wrong.

£200million should do that.

Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe Lacazette's goal proves Wenger was right to keep him in reserve to unleash. It's a point of view rather than a statement of fact.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
£200million should do that.

Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe Lacazette's goal proves Wenger was right to keep him in reserve to unleash. It's a point of view rather than a statement of fact.

Well that's a clever strategy. Go behind, then belatedly bring on a striker.

No wonder Wenger's Arsenal are well into a second decade of being also rans.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well that's a clever strategy. Go behind, then belatedly bring on a striker.

No wonder Wenger's Arsenal are well into a second decade of being also rans.

Yes again Captain Hindsight strikes. If it had been 0-0 when he threw on Lacazette to plunder a winner - he's a genius and Arsenal are back.

The point isn't the outcome, it's the intention and if you can't see what he was thinking then fair enough, that's your opinion but it does't make Wenger wrong.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes again Captain Hindsight strikes. If it had been 0-0 when he threw on Lacazette to plunder a winner - he's a genius and Arsenal are back.

The point isn't the outcome, it's the intention and if you can't see what he was thinking then fair enough, that's your opinion but it does't make Wenger wrong.

The strategy gave very little hope of the desired outcome.

The full PL table shows Arsenal have a poor defence, just one fewer goal conceded than the forever discussed Liverpool defence. Impossible for Arsenal to shut out THIS Man City away, so why not have a goal threat to at least give your team a chance?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here