Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Amex's Khaki Roofs - Love 'em or hate 'em?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
When you look at the stadium's roof panels now, it's hard to recall that, six years ago, they were a shiny, bright blue. But once the canopies had begun their slow fade to grey, the overall effect began looking disappointingly dismal, cheap even.

Now that has changed yet again. The present colour, perhaps best described as a greenish khaki, surely looks entirely appropriate and settled, blending gently as it does with the surrounding downland landscape. It's almost as if this had been the plan all along. (Except that I have it on very good authority that the club are appalled at the colour degradation, and are taking the matter up with the suppliers.)

Given that one early design had all of the stadium's roofs planted with grass [ the so-called 'bunds']. the present appearance offers a fair approximation of that original, naturalistic effect - one that is all of a piece with Brighton's impeeccably Green credentials.

So, crunch question. Are we happy now with the Amex's unexpectedly rustic roofs? Are we liking the lichen? Or do we want only to bring back the blue?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I love the green. For me it’s how I’d always imagined it and further more I feel it fits better with it surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They should spread some yogurt around up there. Soon go really green.

Little Piggy

Oct 27, 2003
Ireland
IMG-20171025-WA0021.jpg

Took this a couple of weeks ago. Sorry the quality isn't all that.

When you look at the stadium's roof panels now, it's hard to recall that, six years ago, they were a shiny, bright blue. But once the canopies had begun their slow fade to grey, the overall effect began looking disappointingly dismal, cheap even.

Now that has changed yet again. The present colour, perhaps best described as a greenish khaki, surely looks entirely appropriate and settled, blending gently as it does with the surrounding downland landscape. It's almost as if this had been the plan all along. (Except that I have it on very good authority that the club are appalled at the colour degradation, and are taking the matter up with the suppliers.)

Given that one early design had all of the stadium's roofs planted with grass [ the so-called 'bunds']. the present appearance offers a fair approximation of that original, naturalistic effect - one that is all of a piece with Brighton's impeeccably Green credentials.

So, crunch question. Are we happy now with the Amex's unexpectedly rustic roofs? Are we liking the lichen? Or do we want only to bring back the blue?

In the original design pictures before it was built the roof was coloured green:moo:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
When I mentioned this about 18 months ago, people on here accused me of being colour blind and swore they’d always been the same colour.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
When I mentioned this about 18 months ago, people on here accused me of being colour blind and swore they’d always been the same colour.

I'm sure that either Tony Bloom or Paul Barber mentioned recently about the apparent colour change and said that manufacturer was looking into it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here