Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Space news [ISS, SpaceX etc]

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

They didn't expect it to go perfectly - before launch Elon Musk gave odds of 1/3 on it landing back safely in one piece. Other than the speed of the final descent (and perhaps one of the engines flaming out too early on the ascent?) they hit all their targets.

This isn't really something they can do in secret, so we get to see all the failed attempts before they get it perfect. They had similar teething issues with their earlier rockets.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
They didn't expect it to go perfectly - before launch Elon Musk gave odds of 1/3 on it landing back safely in one piece. Other than the final bit (and perhaps one of the engines flaming out too early on the ascent?) they hit all their targets.

This isn't really something they can do in secret, so we get to see all the failed attempts before they get it perfect. They had similar teething issues with their earlier rockets.
They definitely hit the ground. :mad:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
It is, to be fair, a much harder task! I think even I could make a rocket fly upwards for a bit. After that... :shrug:

Yes I agree,firing rockets upwards seems pretty normal now and hasn't really changed from the 1960s.
The landings are fantastic,defenetley 21st century stuff.when they land well it looks like a sci go film and even when it goes wrong like in this case,it's still the most calm and controlled "crash" I've seen.
It really is amazing

TommyJ

Nov 26, 2020
firing rockets upwards seems pretty normal

Yes I agree,firing rockets upwards seems pretty normal now and hasn't really changed from the 1960s.
The landings are fantastic,defenetley 21st century stuff.when they land well it looks like a sci go film and even when it goes wrong like in this case,it's still the most calm and controlled "crash" I've seen.
It really is amazing

We live in great times. Space companies are simply visualizing the "awesomeness" of this time for society. Some using
reusable steps. Others print parts, engines, or rockets on 3D printers. They send rockets into orbit on recycled plastic fuel. And much more. We should enjoy it, but ...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
On the subject of the potential lunar landing in 2024 and the the first woman to step on the moon which one of these amazing Astronauts ( apparently contenders) would you like to go to the moon and back with?

1106613f1bb7fdbfdfdeb84148fe2658.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
On the subject of the potential lunar landing in 2024 and the the first woman to step on the moon which one of these amazing Astronauts ( apparently contenders) would you like to go to the moon and back with?

Are we still allowed to do this? I guess so. Anyway here is Tracy Caldwell Dyson on the red carpet looking slightly more presentable. Apart from her obvious attractions, I thought with a surname like that she could give the moon a quick hoover when she got there.

Space.PNG

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

1106613f1bb7fdbfdfdeb84148fe2658.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Needs to be done in true ‘Countdown’ style of course.

I’ll have one from the top, two from the middle and one from the bottom please Rachel :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here