Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A thread recognising the centre-back who DID get called up by England today.....

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Congratulations to 1st-year scholar Tareq Shihab who has been called up for the England U-17 squad to play in a UEFA Preparatory Friendly Tournament being held at St George's Park next week:-

[TWEET]926031312334606336[/TWEET]

To correct the tweet above, he is indeed a centre-back (and has also played at right-back from time to time). He attended Blatchington Mill School in Hove. He made his international debut for England U-15s against Turkey in December 2015 and also played in the Tournament Delle Nazioni in April 2016. Last season his campaign was disrupted by injury but he was called up for the England U-16 squad for the Montaigu Tournament in France in April and played in at least 3 of the 4 matches.

Next week's tournament sees England play Portugal on November 8th, Russia on November 11th and Germany on November 14th.

He's obviously very happy to be representing his country:-

[TWEET]926163925653127169[/TWEET]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why is it that we can produce so many centre backs? Is there a factory in the backwaters of Hove or something?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why is it that we can produce so many centre backs? Is there a factory in the backwaters of Hove or something?

This fascinates me, the list of quality centre backs I can say I've seen live is massive, as it (just) starts with Lawrenson.
Some of them haven't even be centre backs until pressed into the position for the Albion.
A few have been poor unless playing for the Albion.

Yet contrast that with centre forwards, over the same period of time.
That's not to say there hasn't be some greats but my gut feeling is they have been in clusters, while the centre backs have been a consistent conveyor belt of greatness.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Shihab was an unused substitute as England U-17s came from 2-0 down to beat Portugal 3-2 on Wednesday. On Saturday Shihab started and played the whole match as England again came from behind to beat ten-man Russia 2-1.

Here is our boy in action (wearing number 18):-

ShihabEng.jpg

And a report of the match - England U17 2-1 Russia U17: Clinton Mola and Mason Greenwood on target as Young Lions come from behind against 10 men in Burton

England U-17s play their final game of the friendly tournament this evening when they face the Germans at Rotherham's stadium.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Tareq Shihab is on the subs bench this evening; after about 40 minutes it is still 0-0:-

EngU17vGermany.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is it that playing CB - and other defensive positions - can to some extent be coached, whereas strikers and playmakers have to be pretty much born with that talent? I mean, we often talk about teams having the discipline, but not the spark to unlock the other team.
Just a thought - I'm no football coach or anything like that, so don't flame me. Just wondering if that might be the reason, or part of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here