Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Car Advise

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We are looking at buying a 2nd hand car, I will obviously see the vehicle and test drive it for 10-15 minutes but am wondering if there are any easy checks I can do whilst looking at the vehicle to spot any obvious problems or potential issues that the car may have. The car is from a dealer so will be sold with 12 months on the M.O.T.

Any NSC suggestions could help me avoid buying an expensive rust bucket

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I have asked friends who are mechanics to come along and check a vehicle for me in the past. Gave them a drink for their advice and time.
If you have a regular mechanic then perhaps ( with the sellers ok ) take it along to their garage for a check.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
HPI check!!! (Garages usually provide one for you)

I sold my car 2 weeks ago only to find out its a category D write off back in 2012 so i got £2000 less than it was worth! The best part about it? my own dad sold me the car his wife had written off and now he's refusing to pay me my money that i massively overpaid.

C***

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
AA do a check - but it costs.
Think of it as a little insurance policy

How much you looking to spend?
The more you spend, the more value there will be to having an impartial pro look it over.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

I sold my car 2 weeks ago only to find out its a category D write off back in 2012 so i got £2000 less than it was worth! The best part about it? my own dad sold me the car his wife had written off and now he's refusing to pay me my money that i massively overpaid.

C***

Never buy from or sell to family .....
If something goes wrong, creates awkward times

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Never buy from or sell to family .....
If something goes wrong, creates awkward times

you can say that again!

I bought it in good faith, also at the time he had 'misplaced' the service log. I never did get it, instead I had to contact BMW direct and they sent me invoices from each service they had on record and he went back to his garage and got invoices, 2014 and 2015 missing so it wasn't even FSH like he told me!!!

Worst part about it, i emigrate to Canada in 4 weeks today and that £2,000 is desperately needed!!!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I think the AA one is £14

Gone up a little :lolol:

Screenshot_20171102-114100.png

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

C***

Obviously not in your situation, but if you're looking for a second hand car and are planning to keep it a long while (and run down the corresponding re-sell value), Cat Ds can represent very good buys.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
We are looking at buying a 2nd hand car, I will obviously see the vehicle and test drive it for 10-15 minutes but am wondering if there are any easy checks I can do whilst looking at the vehicle to spot any obvious problems or potential issues that the car may have. The car is from a dealer so will be sold with 12 months on the M.O.T.

Any NSC suggestions could help me avoid buying an expensive rust bucket

Hi mate, bought and sold a lot of 2nd hand cars, and I have listed some key checks below;

- Check when then cambelt (if not a cam chain) needs to be replaced on that model (google search) and if the milage has passed that point, make sure it has been or walk away. If the cam belt goes when you're driving it home, you've lost all your money. This is one of the most important checks.
- Check the paperwork, as it can save you having to do the more manual checks if anythings a miss. Read everything, make sure it makes sense, checks out - use common sense (simple stuff like does the service history match the car, is it consistent for the age?)
- Check all electrics: Lights, fans, windows, air con etc (basically press ever single switch)
- A new MOT should mean tyres, exhaust, brakes, bearings, and rust in the wrong places shouldn't be an immediate issue but you may want to check these yourself
- Is the engine cold when you get there? It should be, if not it may have problems starting.
- Run the engine and look and listen under the bonnet - should be smooth and quite, and relatively clean. Look for oil leaks.
- Drive it - check every gear, is everything smooth? No knocks noises out of place?
- Check panels, seats, carpets, wear and tear and use your gut feel. Does it fell like its been looked after?
- My text check - £3 and will make sure its not written off / stolen etc

Last edited:

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Gone up a little :lolol:

Ahh my mistake i thought he was talking about the AA HPI check which is £14

Obviously not in your situation, but if you're looking for a second hand car and are planning to keep it a long while (and run down the corresponding re-sell value), Cat Ds can represent very good buys.

I completely agree! I wouldn't of had any problem buying it if i paid the correct money for it!

It's a blinder of a car and the person who got it has a perfectly good car for a bargain price!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

C***
I bought it in good faith, also at the time he had 'misplaced' the service log. I never did get it, instead I had to contact BMW direct and they sent me invoices from each service they had on record and he went back to his garage and got invoices, 2014 and 2015 missing so it wasn't even FSH like he told me!!!
WTF? How can a father want to **** over his own son?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Lots of great advise, Thank you. I shall look for all these things and hopefully all will be fine

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Hi mate, bought and sold a lot of 2nd hand cars, and I have listed some key checks below;

- Check when then cambelt (if not a cam chain) needs to be replaced on that model (google search) and if the milage has passed that point, make sure it has been or walk away. If the cam belt goes when you're driving it home, you've lost all your money. This is one of the most important checks.
- Check the paperwork, as it can save you having to do the more manual checks if anythings a miss. Read everything, make sure it makes sense, checks out - use common sense (simple stuff like does the service history match the car, is it consistent for the age?)
- Check all electrics: Lights, fans, windows, air con etc (basically press ever single switch)
- A new MOT should mean tyres, exhaust, brakes, bearings, and rust in the wrong places shouldn't be an immediate issue but you may want to check these yourself
- Is the engine cold when you get there? It should be, if not it may have problems starting.
- Run the engine and look and listen under the bonnet - should be smooth and quite, and relatively clean. Look for oil leaks.
- Drive it - check every gear, is everything smooth? No knocks noises out of place?
- Check panels, seats, carpets, wear and tear and use your gut feel. Does it fell like its been looked after?
- My text check - £3 and will make sure its not written off / stolen etc

I googled cam belt for that vehicle and it says 100,000 miles and I'm looking at something around the 40,000 mark. Just out of interest what potential problems could be caused by the cam belt going?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I googled cam belt for that vehicle and it says 100,000 miles and I'm looking at something around the 40,000 mark. Just out of interest what potential problems could be caused by the cam belt going?

I was advised that the cam belt should be changed before the milage stated if the vehicle gets to a certain age.
Think it was 80,000 miles or when the vehicle got to 8 years old, for my van.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here