Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Young cricketer wanted this Saturday

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is an odd request but we're a bit stuck.

My son's cricket team, Lewes Priory, plays in a 6-a-side indoor league. We have a league match this Saturday ... which happens to coincide with a bit of a celebration in Lewes. We have 19 registered players so we have no trouble getting a side together normally but on this occasion, they're not going to be able to get back into town,

We've cobbled together five players from people who don't live in Lewes and from other clubs but we need one more.

So, if you have a son or a brother who's in Year 8 (or younger) or a cricketing daughter in Years 8-10 he/she would be most welcome. The game is at the County Ground, Hove and lasts for about an hour.

(couple of other conditions, he/she must be able to bowl and can't play for B&H, Portslade, Hurstpierpoint or Ditchling - we've checked the rules though and can bring in non-Lewes players).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This is an odd request but we're a bit stuck.

My son's cricket team, Lewes Priory, plays in a 6-a-side indoor league. We have a league match this Saturday ... which happens to coincide with a bit of a celebration in Lewes. We have 19 registered players so we have no trouble getting a side together normally but on this occasion, they're not going to be able to get back into town,

We've cobbled together five players from people who don't live in Lewes and from other clubs but we need one more.

So, if you have a son or a brother who's in Year 8 (or younger) or a cricketing daughter in Years 8-10 he/she would be most welcome. The game is at the County Ground, Hove and lasts for about an hour.

(couple of other conditions, he/she must be able to bowl and can't play for B&H, Portslade, Hurstpierpoint or Ditchling - we've checked the rules though and can bring in non-Lewes players).
Good luck with this move to "Get the Game On" - hopefully someone will come through for you from the NSC community. Moshe Jnr would have been an option (nice bit of left arm over...) but we are off to Swansea for the weekend...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks for the thought,

Yes, I know it's a bit of a long shot but we're stuck,

The league is being rather inflexible given the obvious difficulties Lewes are going to have on that day ... but there you go

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Shame it's a bit far from Sheffield. My son would love to play in something like this, he's Y6 and opened the bowling this season for the Yorkshire U10 development team (and I'm ex Lewes Priory too). :angry:

Best of luck!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Thanks for the thought,

Yes, I know it's a bit of a long shot but we're stuck,

The league is being rather inflexible given the obvious difficulties Lewes are going to have on that day ... but there you go
The league being even remotely "inflexible" in this circumstance is IMHO unforgiveable. It is hard enough encouraging mass participation in cricket without a self-appointed jobsworth administrator making it more difficult. As volunteers these people have some immunity from criticism, but there are limits.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The league being even remotely "inflexible" in this circumstance is IMHO unforgiveable. It is hard enough encouraging mass participation in cricket without a self-appointed jobsworth administrator making it more difficult. As volunteers these people have some immunity from criticism, but there are limits.

Yeah, I know of at least one Sussex staff member who's appalled at the inflexibility of this approach. It's not exactly the spirit of cricket.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What time is the match? - my Yr 8 son is a possible .....not sure how keen he would be to play with 'strangers' :)

We meet at 6.15, not sure what time it starts (6.30? 6.45?) It lasts 50 minutes to an hour

We're quite a friendly bunch and I think there'll be at least two players who don't play for the club so there'll be a few strangers around. It would be great if he could make it

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Out of curiosity, do Sussex County Cricket Club organize this tournament and are the ones being inflexible? Or is it a different organisation and they simply hire out the facilities there?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My son may be interested. He plays for Rottingdean u12s (they pulled out of the Saturday night league as the matches were too late), & is also in the Sabres Area setup, so may know a few of your lads anyway? I'll ask the missus to ask him when he gets home from school....

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My son may be interested. He plays for Rottingdean u12s (they pulled out of the Saturday night league as the matches were too late), & is also in the Sabres Area setup, so may know a few of your lads anyway? I'll ask the missus to ask him when he gets home from school....

A proper ringer [emoji106][emoji106]

Agree with the comments on inflexibility.....it’s hard enough as it is getting these things up and running and maintaining interest. My lad used to play the winter indoor league at Hove at the same age, it was a struggle to get 6 players out every week despite having probably 25 kids on the books just in that age group. Games often at 7 or 8pm on a Sunday night didn’t help.

Alan Cundle

May 22, 2008
Brighton
We meet at 6.15, not sure what time it starts (6.30? 6.45?) It lasts 50 minutes to an hour

We're quite a friendly bunch and I think there'll be at least two players who don't play for the club so there'll be a few strangers around. It would be great if he could make it

I've just had a look and it looks like the match starts at 7.45pm?

Saturday 4th November

5:15pm vs. P. Nomads
6:30pm Hurstpierpoint vs. Ditchling
7:45pm Brighton & Hove vs. Lewes Priory
8:45pm Portslade vs. St. Peter’s

I'm afraid that's too late as I'm home alone that evening and his younger sister will be in bed..Sorry

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've just had a look and it looks like the match starts at 7.45pm?

Saturday 4th November

5:15pm vs. P. Nomads
6:30pm Hurstpierpoint vs. Ditchling
7:45pm Brighton & Hove vs. Lewes Priory
8:45pm Portslade vs. St. Peter’s

I'm afraid that's too late as I'm home alone that evening and his younger sister will be in bed..Sorry

That's wrong - there's a team that's pulled out, so everyone's moved up. We're the 6.30 start - is that still too late? (and given the circumstances we may be able to get the 5.15 slot)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's a real shame the games can't be played on a weekday, Saturday late afternoon or evening isn't the best time.
My lads team played in the indoor league at Hove for a couple of seasons, I know he really enjoyed playing. Some weeks though the match start times were late afternoon, usually on a day when Albion were at home, he and at least one other team mate couldn't play.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a real shame the games can't be played on a weekday, Saturday late afternoon or evening isn't the best time.
My lads team played in the indoor league at Hove for a couple of seasons, I know he really enjoyed playing. Some weeks though the match start times were late afternoon, usually on a day when Albion were at home, he and at least one other team mate couldn't play.

I know, it's a real pain trying to organise things. I've managed to get to 6.30 game from the Amex but would struggle with earlier.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here