Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis dunk

Lewis dunk and the England squad

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
wasnt this disgussed at great length in the previous thread of the same name. FWIW I think that he will for GS to look at him in training not neccesarily to play in either of the two games.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As much I'm all for Dunk playing for England some day, I'm being selfish here and think that he (generic) should be left alone to concentrate on Albions first PL outing. IMO

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think he will be called up to train with the squad but not named in it, will give chance for Southgate to look at him closer and compare him to what he has got.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Assuming Southgate is actually looking to name a new centre half in the group due to injuries of an "it's only a friendly, so I can't be arsed" sort of nature, then it's possible. Can't help feeling he'll pick Lascelles though, because he plays for a Big Club (well, Newcastle, but you know what I mean). I keep hearing Newcastle fans banging on about him: he's always looked very inconsistent to me but they seem to overlook that in rather the same way Leeds fans cheerly ignore all of Pontus Jansson's errors.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thin Edna is right, Lascelles will be above Lewis Dunk in the queue but I think he's in contention. I don't think he'll make this squad purely because of how many centre backs there are available but I suspect he will make the next one. When he does make a squad, it will be on merit and merit only.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm sure I read an interview of Southgate's where he said it was important to have a set formation(s) so that all the players knew what to do whenever they joined up. He then said he likes three at the back because he wants to play out from the gk. If that's the case then he really should be having a look at Dunk as he's so comfortable on the ball.

Not sure Southgate will though, has he been to any Brighton games yet?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Might have missed it on another thread but who was the last permanent Albion player to make a senior England squad while playing for us?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Surely the bloke at Burney also further up pecking order.

Don't think he will get called up but hope he does.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Should he be in the England squad? No doubt about it - yes! he can do everything that the likes of Smalling, Jones and Keane do plus he can ping a crossfield pass 50 yards with accuracy.

Will he be in the squad? Probably not. We're so close to the World Cup you wonder whether Southgate has mentally "shut the door" and plans to try and gel the players he's already worked with.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Assuming Southgate is actually looking to name a new centre half in the group due to injuries of an "it's only a friendly, so I can't be arsed" sort of nature, then it's possible. Can't help feeling he'll pick Lascelles though, because he plays for a Big Club (well, Newcastle, but you know what I mean). I keep hearing Newcastle fans banging on about him: he's always looked very inconsistent to me but they seem to overlook that in rather the same way Leeds fans cheerly ignore all of Pontus Jansson's errors.

Lascelles is British is he? Well he is certainly the kind of player you would love to have at your club, very passionate, doubt he's as good as Dunk but then few are.

I don't think Dunk will be called up to this squad, as he's only played two games against the very best, where we let in four goals and he scored an own goal in one. Clean sheets against West Ham and raking passes against Southampton are all well and good, but lets see him do it regularly against the best. With that in mind, I'm sure Southgate will be watching Lewis very closely in our upcoming games against Liverpool and Man Utd.

But if Lewis continues his progression, he'll be an England regular for years to come, and there may well be a few titles and cups out there for him too. Lad will deserve it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What most seem to have overlooked is the fact that Southgate has indicated that he is going to use 3 CB with wing backs which would dictate the make up of the squad. This would suggest that the 3 CBs will be Stones Maguire and a stopper like Cahill, Jones or Keane all in front of Lewis.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
…to make my happy face when you’ve got a sad face

Rehome a dog and change a life forever – visit Dogs Trust today

Lovely but what do you think about Dunk ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here