Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley 7th - no great shakes?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just watched that dire game between Burnley and Newcastle (with match sticks keeping my eyelids open) and cannot believe that Burnley are now in 7th place in the Prem.

It really makes me think that there are just a handful of sides that we would struggle to beat on our day. A little more guile, a bit more game management and some luck with injuries and we'll be OK. Get a striker in January and we really could have a season to remember.

Love this team - UTA.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The 'top 6' clubs are already in the top 6 positions too.
They may not finish in the positions that they are currently in, but I would be surprised if any of them dropped lower than 6th for the rest of the season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Burnley are just Wimbledon of the 80s. It proves you can survive playing like that and I don't mind that type of football but eventually those sides do go down. I recall Alan Kimble saying that to me and he was a Wimbledon player just before they went down

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just watched that dire game between Burnley and Newcastle (with match sticks keeping my eyelids open) and cannot believe that Burnley are now in 7th place in the Prem.

It really makes me think that there are just a handful of sides that we would struggle to beat on our day. A little more guile, a bit more game management and some luck with injuries and we'll be OK. Get a striker in January and we really could have a season to remember.

Love this team - UTA.

Beatable Burnley are and most teams would expect to beat Newcastle at home. Burnley are an awkward side to play against and I would take a point away most days. I hope as the season nears its end we are already safe when we go to Burnley as that is the easiest of our last lot of games.

If anything they beat Newcastle just fraction easier than we did.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and yet one or two posters here think a trip to Turf Moor is an easy 3 points.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Made me laugh the other day when Burnley were described on a French sports channel as 'a kick and rush team'. The comment above regarding Wimbledon from a decade or two ago(NooBHA)is an accurate assessment. Undoubtedly effective tactics though as the current league table shows. If they lose Dyche to Everton then they'll have to be very careful to bring in the right replacement, given their current squad/tactics.

Last edited:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Burnley are just Wimbledon of the 80s. It proves you can survive playing like that and I don't mind that type of football but eventually those sides do go down. I recall Alan Kimble saying that to me and he was a Wimbledon player just before they went down

Would expect that moment to be accelerated if and when Dyche leaves, especially if they replace him with Moyes which the papers have suggested may happen.

and yet one or two posters here think a trip to Turf Moor is an easy 3 points.

Do they?

Can't say I've seen anyone post anything like that myself.

Or is that just you making stuff up in order to get your daily fix of sneering.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Feels a bit unfair comparing Burnley to Wimbledon. I think Burnley have much more football in them than Wimbledon did, who to me were just thugs at times, intent on roughing everyone up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Gary Neville made a couple of good points last night, the first that anyone expecting a goalfest was deluded. Newcastle aren't exactly exciting, so it was going to be a difficult one for the neutrals. The second was to applaud the defensive organisations (of both teams). It might be that he was a defender, or to try and sell the match a different way, but not all teams can go out and score 3/4 a game. Being a well set up defensive side isn't always the worst thing. I don't necessarily agree with the idea that we have limited footballers, I think we could play a tad more attacking but Dyche understands that the Premier League is full of teams who want you to blink first, perhaps he's still hurt from the relegation so his outlook is to try for a draw as a first requirement and try to nick 3 points as a bonus.

Back in the days of 442 we played direct because most teams had 5 in midfield (many still do), it was easier to pop it up to Vokes who'd drop deep or try Gray on the shoulder. This broke the defensive line (one CB would have to drop to pick up Vokes). If the ball went to Vokes then Arfield would look to pick up anything. Now we are playing with one striker (perhaps as much to do with injuries). We use the striker to hold up so Hendrick or Defour can get on the ball. That said we scored with a 24 pass move recently and at points last night played it out of defence and played some neat stuff.

As for Dyche, he gets some stick but he's done exceptionally well with bringing the best out of players. Mee, Trippier, Heaton, Keane, Arfield have all improved under him (and all apart Mee have won international caps). It's early days but Tarkowski is looking promising, Pope is also playing ok. I think this aspect to him is overlooked.

In any case, we are looking to stay up, hopefully we'll do that. We may not be exciting to watch, but football isn't just about entertainment. It's a sport which can entertain, but often doesn't.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
It just highlights how much of a two tier league this is. The top six are already the final top six. Quite possibly already in the order they will finish!

Then you have 14 teams left where some will finish a few points higher than others and claim a fantastic season. With such small margins between those teams injuries, luck, refereeing decisions could be the difference between 7th and 18th. A crazy crazy league.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Love this team - UTA.

I expect quite a few neutrals thought our 1-0 win over Newcastle was a snore fest too.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Some really unfair comments being cast in Burnley's direction here. They're not a team full of Vinnie Jones inspired thugs - although signing Barton did them no favours. They're just an extremely well drilled team full of hard workers. I wasn't at all surprised to see Barnes go there, he's a perfect fit. Dyche has signed the type of player to fit his system because he knows it can work for him.

It's similar to us in some respects, the team is better than the sum of its parts. If Hughton left we'd be in trouble. In the same way I think Burnley will really struggle without Dyche. It'll take time for a new manager to instil a new system and find the players to advance them. IMO if they need a VERY safe pair of hands if Dyche leaves or it could be a disaster for them,

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Gary Neville made a couple of good points last night, the first that anyone expecting a goalfest was deluded. Newcastle aren't exactly exciting, so it was going to be a difficult one for the neutrals. The second was to applaud the defensive organisations (of both teams). It might be that he was a defender, or to try and sell the match a different way, but not all teams can go out and score 3/4 a game. Being a well set up defensive side isn't always the worst thing. I don't necessarily agree with the idea that we have limited footballers, I think we could play a tad more attacking but Dyche understands that the Premier League is full of teams who want you to blink first, perhaps he's still hurt from the relegation so his outlook is to try for a draw as a first requirement and try to nick 3 points as a bonus.

Back in the days of 442 we played direct because most teams had 5 in midfield (many still do), it was easier to pop it up to Vokes who'd drop deep or try Gray on the shoulder. This broke the defensive line (one CB would have to drop to pick up Vokes). If the ball went to Vokes then Arfield would look to pick up anything. Now we are playing with one striker (perhaps as much to do with injuries). We use the striker to hold up so Hendrick or Defour can get on the ball. That said we scored with a 24 pass move recently and at points last night played it out of defence and played some neat stuff.

As for Dyche, he gets some stick but he's done exceptionally well with bringing the best out of players. Mee, Trippier, Heaton, Keane, Arfield have all improved under him (and all apart Mee have won international caps). It's early days but Tarkowski is looking promising, Pope is also playing ok. I think this aspect to him is overlooked.

In any case, we are looking to stay up, hopefully we'll do that. We may not be exciting to watch, but football isn't just about entertainment. It's a sport which can entertain, but often doesn't.
Staying up is everything, Dyche and his team have found a formula to achieve that. Can’t knock him for that.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Burnley and BHA very similar in many ways:
- work very hard and well organised
- pair of old fashioned 'love to defend' CBs (although Dunk is more than that)
- play 4-4-1-1
- well respected English manager, tactically not a risk taker
- big lump up top
- strong team ethic
- home fortress

We've often said before on NSC that we'd rather follow the Burnley model than the Palace one. The table bears that out.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thought Barnes was very effective last night and again proved what a 'battler' he is.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Dyche and Hughton have a lot in common. They are top managers.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I was quite anti-Burnley and Dyche a couple of years ago, but their recent time in the Prem has turned my thinking around. I admire the no-nonsense way they are going about things. I really like the mentality that Dyche seems to have instilled. Some of it sounds like management consultancy bollocks, but if you really believe then it makes a difference. It can't be easy to push that agenda and develop that spirit with professional football players.

Will be interesting to see what happens if he does move. Unlikely to be anything but bad news for Burnley and I can't see instant results at his new club either. It's taken him a while to build what he has at Burnley. They should move heaven and earth to keep hold of him.

Still slightly irritated by them making bids on our players with 50p increments though!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here