Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Lewes bonfire parking etc

Nostalgia

Mar 22, 2012
The authorities seem to be doing everything to stop people getting there, no buses , no trains, no parking. We're travelling from Shoreham ideally by public transport but probably by car and can't set off before 12 noon ideally aiming to be there 5 or 6 pm. Any ideas how we can get there?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If it's going to take 5 hours from Shoreham maybe you'd be better off looking for a new car ?

Dunno about parking, soz

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
The authorities seem to be doing everything to stop people getting there, no buses , no trains, no parking. We're travelling from Shoreham ideally by public transport but probably by car and can't set off before 12 noon ideally aiming to be there 5 or 6 pm. Any ideas how we can get there?

Honestly think you’re going to struggle, unfortunately they’ve made it so difficult nowadays and lack of trains will mean that the the buses that are running will be absolutely rammed. If I were trying to get into town, it wouldn’t be by public transport. I’d be driving and would head to probably Nevill Estate (coming from Shoreham) and as long as you’re there by 3pm - 4pm absolute latest, you’ll have no issues with Road closures and parking should be ok too.

Your next issue will be getting out, my guess from Nevill is that it’ll probably be near to midnight by the time the roads are clear and you can leave And you’ll may well need to head back out towards Plumpton and head over Ditchling Beacon as I think the prison crossroads may be closed until well after midnight.

In summary don’t bother with public transport but by car doable as long as you’re not in a rush to get away quickly. If you head to Nevill you can watch Borough fireworks at the foot of the motor roads and then give it an hour or so for exit. :cheers:

Enjoy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I reckon your best bet is to park at the Amex, and then walk the rest of the way.

not a daft idea. Lewes have discouraged/barred cars for longer than they've been preventing trains stopping, with parking restrictions and effectively a lock down on entering the town for couple of decades. apparently the Newhaven road is closed this year. parking on the outskirts will be impossible at 5-6pm anyway, you'll need to be a lot earlier than that.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We're parking at Spring Barn Farm. You have to book it on their website. The council website says the road from there will be closed till 2am though. Hopefully not.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Roads are closed from 4.30pm... get there in plenty of time (it may take 30 minutes or so to get through prison crossroads from A27) and you’ll be fine. If you’re getting there after that time then you most definitely are better parking on the outskirts and walking in... personally I’d get there for 3pm, get parked up and head into town to soak up the atmosphere. It’s not as difficult as they want you to believe it is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It's not John O'Groats. You'll reach Lewes at 12.20 pm.

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
We're parking at Spring Barn Farm. You have to book it on their website. The council website says the road from there will be closed till 2am though. Hopefully not.

I'm the manager of Spring Barn Farm, you can leave at any time, you just have to head right, then right at the garden centre and through Kingston to the A27 or you can go along the C7 to Newhaven depending on where you live

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just looked up road closures. Cuilfail tunnel looks to be closed. Can someone tell me how my Wife can get home at 6:00 pm from Brighton to Uckfield. Sending her via Polegate she's A/ likely to get lost B/ gonna be mighty angry with me going to Swansea. Best not tell her yet.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014

Bike - they may then let you in, otherwise you've got no hope

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm the manager of Spring Barn Farm, you can leave at any time, you just have to head right, then right at the garden centre and through Kingston to the A27 or you can go along the C7 to Newhaven depending on where you live

That's what I call service. Thank you.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just looked up road closures. Cuilfail tunnel looks to be closed. Can someone tell me how my Wife can get home at 6:00 pm from Brighton to Uckfield. Sending her via Polegate she's A/ likely to get lost B/ gonna be mighty angry with me going to Swansea. Best not tell her yet.

Either through glynde or via ditching I guess.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Omg reading all of this I don’t think I’ll bother, can someone tell me why the OP is suggesting there are no trains or buses?

trains dont stop at Lewes from about midday onwards. nor Cooksbridge (no change there...),Glynde, Falmer, Moulsecoomb or London Rd (bizarrely).

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Go past the southerham roundabout, halfway down the hill turn left into ranscombe lane. At the end go left and follow the road over the hill past glyndebourne. At ringmer turn right and follow that out to the a22.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Unbelievable, why?

To discourage people from attending. it's seems the police and council are trying to strangle the event with increased red tape

I'm will be there with one of the visiting societies, South Heighton This year we have to leave even earlier and will be dropped even further away from the town and won't be able to leave until even later.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To discourage people from attending. it's seems the police and council are trying to strangle the event with increased red tape

I'm will be there with one of the visiting societies, South Heighton This year we have to leave even earlier and will be dropped even further away from the town and won't be able to leave until even later.

I think you're right. Once they've got the numbers down enough they'll start trying to crack down on the rookie throwing, er. :(

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Either through glynde or via ditching I guess.

Go past the southerham roundabout, halfway down the hill turn left into ranscombe lane. At the end go left and follow the road over the hill past glyndebourne. At ringmer turn right and follow that out to the a22.

No, we are talking about my Wife. Getting from Brighton to Uckfield via Polegate is going to be the only way otherwise she'll end up driving around all the country lanes and getting lost.
But I notice that the buses are still running (28 & 29) although not stopping so may be the tunnel will be open, just Police keeping the traffic moving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here