Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lamine Kone

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
:eek:According to The Sun (yes I know) we are preparing a 5 million pound bid in the January transfer window for Sunderland Kone. Wouldn't surprise me as we made a bid north of 10 million in the summer. If this goes through I think a bigger club may be in for Dunk.......I think that club maybe Liverpool. Hope I am way off the mark but I just have a feeling this will happen.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Two quotes from the Observer's report of their defeat to Bristol City yesterday leave me underwhelmed:-

"Defending set pieces has become a serious problem for the fast regressing Lamine Kone (did Everton really bid £18m for him?)"

and

"Slapdash marking from the negligent Kone permitted O'Dowda to float a left wing corner in Djuric's direction...."

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Two quotes from the Observer's report of their defeat to Bristol City yesterday leave me underwhelmed:-

"Defending set pieces has become a serious problem for the fast regressing Lamine Kone (did Everton really bid £18m for him?)"

and

"Slapdash marking from the negligent Kone permitted O'Dowda to float a left wing corner in Djuric's direction...."

I agree but we have been tracking him for a while. It would suggest our recruitment team see him as a cut price replacement or back up centre half, which at the moment we seem to have a good number of good players in this position. It's telling me he would be a rreplacement for someone leaving. Liverpool are desperate to improve their defence and I think a young English player of Dunks mold fits the bill. He would command a hefty fee of over 20 million IMHO.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I couldn't get past 'The Sun' bit.

I trust the club to find a decent replacement when Dunk goes (I'm guessing next summer as it stands). Doubt if it's this one if he's struggling downstairs.

D

Deleted member 2719

:eek:According to The Sun (yes I know) we are preparing a 5 million pound bid in the January transfer window for Sunderland Kone. Wouldn't surprise me as we made a bid north of 10 million in the summer. If this goes through I think a bigger club may be in for Dunk.......I think that club maybe Liverpool. Hope I am way off the mark but I just have a feeling this will happen.

I always knew you were a true blue mate reading the Sun.:thumbsup:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Given what our owner did in the last few transfer windows I am going to say that there is NO chance Dunk is going anywhere in January. Sadly in July I think we'll struggle to keep him, even if we've stayed up. The only consolation will be the £40m+ fee I think we'll ask for and get.
If the club were serious about keeping him and turning down that sort of money then 'd give him the armband now though.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

A deal fell through before the window shut for a CB on loan did it not?

It's clear we're after one without having to worry about our first choice moving on.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I agree but we have been tracking him for a while. It would suggest our recruitment team see him as a cut price replacement or back up centre half, which at the moment we seem to have a good number of good players in this position. It's telling me he would be a rreplacement for someone leaving. Liverpool are desperate to improve their defence and I think a young English player of Dunks mold fits the bill. He would command a hefty fee of over 20 million IMHO.

I think that the source of this speculation is out of order.
It was reported that CH had scouted SAFC and someone has made the assumption it was for Kone but in fact CH was equally reported as as looking at Duncan Watmore ( a right winger ) so god knows why ?
Kone does not sound like a suitable replacement for Dunky as I think we already have better in Goldson and probably Hunemeier (spelling)

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I think that the source of this speculation is out of order.
It was reported that CH had scouted SAFC and someone has made the assumption it was for Kone but in fact CH was equally reported as as looking at Duncan Watmore ( a right winger ) so god knows why?

Could easily have been there to cast an eye over Didier Ndong, given that we were also looking to strengthen our central midfield with someone tough in the tackle.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
We were looking for a cover centre back so goldson could go out on loan,and get some game time after his surgery,, back in the august transfer window !! Club probably still got that planed!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

£500K maybe, to allow Connor to go out on loan (or maybe a cash free deal, given how desperately Sunderland need a defence). May not be the greatest ever, but I'd prefer Bassong on a free to facilitate that same opportunity for Connor.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
I always knew you were a true blue mate reading the Sun.:thumbsup:
Wrong on all accounts my little Teresa loving friend. I very rarely look at the Sun, the item about Kone came up on my phone (hard to believe but I have moved on from a knokia 3310 ) I, as you well know would never vote for your lot. Having said that...." Call me Dave" seems like a better option than anyone on offer at the moment, including Jezza ha ha.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A deal fell through before the window shut for a CB on loan did it not?

It's clear we're after one without having to worry about our first choice moving on.

It did, the Dutch player playing in Belgium, but he was targeted so Goldson could go out on loan to Ipswich for the season.
I don't think Dunk will go in January, but will do in the summer provided the buying club is big and rich enough.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A few points - buying a mediocre centre back for 5 million in advance of selling an amazing centre back for 40 million is worthy of clicking on the url in my strapline.

Also, Dunk is doing great for us now, and has a good contract, so why pressure him with the armband (and at the same time wind up Bruno)?

And clearly, if or when Dunk is sold we won't hear it first in the Sun.

Finally, MOTD was drooling over the double D last night - not just the defensive heroics but the 'Hoddle-like' passing. I really wish they wouldn't :lolol:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Finally, MOTD was drooling over the double D last night - not just the defensive heroics but the 'Hoddle-like' passing. I really wish they wouldn't :lolol:

They did look good though. Some on their passing was exquisite.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
A few points - buying a mediocre centre back for 5 million in advance of selling an amazing centre back for 40 million is worthy of clicking on the url in my strapline.

Also, Dunk is doing great for us now, and has a good contract, so why pressure him with the armband (and at the same time wind up Bruno)?

And clearly, if or when Dunk is sold we won't hear it first in the Sun.

Haven't watched it yet but I remember one of Dunks balls from left back switching it to Knocky on the right as a thing of beauty!

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If (or maybe when) Dunk does move on, it won't be in a January window.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here