Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have we had a fairly easy run of matches so far?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whilst we have amassed more points than I expected and although being mightily impressed by our form, I can't help thinking that Man City and Arsenal apart that we have been dealt a kind fixture list so far.

Points today would give us a bit of a cushion given that we still have to play United, Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool.

Palace, especially, and Bournemouth seem to have had a much tougher run than us, luckily we do have a bit of a points gap over both of them.

It's going to get a lot tougher...but I am loving it so far, four or five defeats on the bounce may change that though.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure there was a recent list of 'fixture difficulty' and we have had one of the more difficult set of fixtures ?

Maybe I misread it, or perhaps the analysis I saw is now out of date ?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
We still have to play Spurs, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool twice so that is 8 games where we will be massive outsiders for the win. It does put more pressure on games like today - although I was interested to see Southampton are still favourites to win the game at the bookies

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
In terms of playing the top 6 we have played 2 of our 12 games against them but we’ve played almost a quarter of our league games (after today more than a quarter). So yes I guess we’ve had a relatively easy start. Our run in is horrible!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
For us to stay up we need to win 10 games. The easiest games to win are our home games against the 10 weakest sides, that's none of the top 6, Everton, West Brom or Stoke. And an away draw with each will get us to the magic 40 points.

On that basis we should be on 7 points but we are entering a run of home games which will be vital for us to win

larus

We’ve played 5 teams in the bottom half and 4 in the top so far. Southampton are 10th.
If we beat Southampton,.then it will be 6/4 split. If we lose it will be a 5/5 split.

This changes of course, as until recently, WBA were in the top 1/2.

I guess the real test is what percentage of our games have been against the big 6? We’ve played 2/9 to date - 2/10 after today. For the whole season it will be 12/38, so about a 1 in 3 ratio.

On that stat, we are having easier fixtures.

Other teams:
Palace have played 3.
Bournemouth 4.
Everton 5.
Swansea 3.
West Ham 2.
Leicester 4.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With CH seemingly unwilling to take the game to a 'big 6' team, games like today have even more pressure attached to them.
Especially when you consider our run in, which has more than a hint of his last days at Norwich, although obviously that's where the similarity will end.

Despite my bleating over this I do hope CH plays it even more conservative at Utd, what with Stoke and palace either side of that match, and far more important.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
With CH seemingly unwilling to take the game to a 'big 6' team, games like today have even more pressure attached to them.
Especially when you consider our run in, which has more than a hint of his last days at Norwich, although obviously that's where the similarity will end.

Despite my bleating over this I do hope CH plays it even more ctonservative at Utd, what with Stoke and palace either side of that match, of and far more important.

My only complaint about how we have taken the game to the opposition was against Bournemouth. Until we scored we showed them the sort of respect I only expected us to show the top six, but we nearly got away with it, two very well worked goals being our undoing.

Not taking the games to the top teams will hopefully avoid the sort of thrashings that Palace and Huddersfield have had, which can only dent confidence. CH gets an 8 out of 10 from me so far.

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
It maybe an easier start ,this will also help our players to gel and with the business end of the champions league coming up,we should be more than capable of getting a draw here an there against the top six.Just keep the faith.:albion2:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My only complaint about how we have taken the game to the opposition was against Bournemouth. Until we scored we showed them the sort of respect I only expected us to show the top six, but we nearly got away with it, two very well worked goals being our undoing.

Not taking the games to the top teams will hopefully avoid the sort of thrashings that Palace and Huddersfield have had, which can only dent confidence. CH gets an 8 out of 10 from me so far.

We didn't 'nearly get away with it' against Bournemouth, we played exactly the kind of patient game that we played away all last season, appreciating that you don't have to win a game in the first 45, taking the sting, getting on the front foot later in a game, taking the lead and holding out. Unfortunately a piece of jammy magic by Ibe did for us, showing margins are tougher in the premier league. But really, with 1 point from 9 and no goals away at that stage, I had no problem with it. Bournemouth are a very good side at keeping possession and moving the ball around, pointless being gung ho against them.

One of these days we will take an early lead against a top side, withstand a lot of pressure and hold out. We set up very similar to Burnley in that regard and they've had some excellent results. In fact thats pretty much exactly what we did against West Ham

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
In terms of playing the top 6 we have played 2 of our 12 games against them but we’ve played almost a quarter of our league games (after today more than a quarter). So yes I guess we’ve had a relatively easy start. Our run in is horrible!

I was looking at our run in yesterday and was thinking the same.... last 3 away games are Palace, Burnley and Liverpool and last three at home Huddersfield, Spurs and Man Utd.

I would anticipate that all 6 (maybe Burnley aside) will still be playing for something by then.. let’s accumulate as many points as we can before the end of March.. starting with three today :albion2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

My only complaint is the team didn't play at Arsenal the way they played at West Ham.

But as [MENTION=25068]Hazwaz[/MENTION] says we can all see the team coming together, baby steps and all that,

TBH Icy despite my, one game frustration, I think you've underscored CH!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Fixture difficulty based on betting odds at the start of the season, so obviously not a brilliant measure right now but probably the best we have to hand?

Looks like ours was one of the easiest starts yep - doesn't change what we have to do, just gives us a bit of comfort early on! Thank go.

IMG_8933.JPG

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If we continue to look at last season's top ten we will also need to get 12-18 points from Hull, Middlesborough and Sunderland.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Fixture difficulty based on betting odds at the start of the season, so obviously not a brilliant measure right now but probably the best we have to hand?

Looks like ours was one of the easiest starts yep - doesn't change what we have to do, just gives us a bit of comfort early

Fascinating table. Thanks for that. What I take from it is that we don’t ever really have a consistently bad run until the last few games of the season.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We didn't 'nearly get away with it' against Bournemouth, we played exactly the kind of patient game that we played away all last season, appreciating that you don't have to win a game in the first 45, taking the sting, getting on the front foot later in a game, taking the lead and holding out. Unfortunately a piece of jammy magic by Ibe did for us, showing margins are tougher in the premier league. But really, with 1 point from 9 and no goals away at that stage, I had no problem with it. Bournemouth are a very good side at keeping possession and moving the ball around, pointless being gung ho against them.

One of these days we will take an early lead against a top side, withstand a lot of pressure and hold out. We set up very similar to Burnley in that regard and they've had some excellent results. In fact thats pretty much exactly what we did against West Ham

Have to agree to differ then. Bournemouth had zero points and the crowd would have turned if we had shown more ambition first half, imo. We hardly got out of our half in the first half. As I say that is my ONLY disappointment with how we set up. There was nothing jammy about those Bournemouth goals imo, best goals I've seen scored against us this season, two moments of magic opened up our very good defence, so it could be argued that we played them right but we showed zilch after their goals. Disappointing performance from my perspective and we will get opened up like that again, hopefully we will respond better next time.

larus

Fascinating table. Thanks for that. What I take from it is that we don’t ever really have a consistently bad run until the last few games of the season.

When we play Man U, we have a run of 8 games, 4 of which are top 6. Be interesting where we are placed after that lot.

Another thing to notice (based on that table) is Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth and Palace. Apart from the usual top 6, calling the rest appears to be a lot tougher than the ‘experts’ make it out to be. Look at the bottom 3 of us, Huddersfield and Burnley - all clear and safe (at the moment).

larus

When we play Man U, we have a run of 8 games, 4 of which are top 6. Be interesting where we are placed after that lot.

Another thing to notice (based on that table) is Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth and Palace. Apart from the usual top 6, calling the rest appears to be a lot tougher than the ‘experts’ make it out to be. Look at the bottom 3 of us, Huddersfield and Burnley - all clear and safe (at the moment).

D

Deleted member 2719

Today's match really is one that would help massively down the line if we can take the full 3 points.

Come on Alllllbioooooooon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here