Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] London to Brighton veteran car run next Sunday..?

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
Any suggestions for good viewing points?

i.e.
easy parking
sitting by the road
nearby good food/boozers
not as busy as their suggested viewing spots
etc

Thanks!

oxymoron

NSC Patreon
Feb 25, 2011
Cambridge Hotel in Horley right on the A23, Bentley owners club have a meet there on the day perfect place to view the vintage and some nice Bentleys.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Living in Hassocks I’ve grown to hate it. Over aggressive traffic marshalls at Stonepound causing massive queues in and and out of Hassocks so that old cars don’t have to stop on a hill. Then making Clayton Hill one way as so many of them break down on the way up.

I’m quite sure if I owned a car that was in such a bad state it wasn’t capable of Hill starts or driving uphill the Police wouldn’t clear a path for me so I wouldn’t have to while the government decided I didn’t have to pay Road tax for it.

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
Its all down to where you start from !
do you live in the south of England ?

I live near Epsom so could watch from up here, but suits us better to come down and watch from a little later in the a.m., also might combine with watching Lewes fireworks from Ditchling Beacon...

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I may be showing my ignorance and I know some people like to spectate but is it not just an event for the privileged few at everybody else's expense? Do they raise money for any worthwhile charities or anything?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I met a bloke once who had half a dozen veteran cars; he used to have two or three in each year. He was livid when I referred to it as the "Old Crocks Run". I told him that's how it was always known in Brighton.
Thickest bloke I ever met and only a multi-millionaire because his dad built a very big business.

D

Deleted member 2719

Living in Hassocks I’ve grown to hate it. Over aggressive traffic marshalls at Stonepound causing massive queues in and and out of Hassocks so that old cars don’t have to stop on a hill. Then making Clayton Hill one way as so many of them break down on the way up.

I’m quite sure if I owned a car that was in such a bad state it wasn’t capable of Hill starts or driving uphill the Police wouldn’t clear a path for me so I wouldn’t have to while the government decided I didn’t have to pay Road tax for it.

Typical of today's youth, you have no respect for your elders.

These cars are history, pieces of art and long may they continue.

Attachments

• Mg.jpg
    Mg.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 122

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Typical of today's youth, you have no respect for your elders.

These cars are history, pieces of art and long may they continue.

Youth! Thanks

Indeed they’re lovely cars, asking hundreds of them to drive down some of the busiest roads in Sussex all at the same time is not lovely however.

D

Deleted member 2719

Youth! Thanks

Indeed they’re lovely cars, asking hundreds of them to drive down some of the busiest roads in Sussex all at the same time is not lovely however.

With respect these cars have been doing it for many years now, surely it's up to the the local motorist to have a few hours off driving not to clog up the roads.

We have it with Goodwood FOS and the Goodwood revival, but we have some of the best cars and motorcycles in the world going through Chichester, how lucky is that?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Youth! Thanks

All part of the rich tapestry of life - I'm sure you wouldn't complain about the jams that build up on the A23 and A27 before an Albion home match.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I met a bloke once who had half a dozen veteran cars; he used to have two or three in each year. He was livid when I referred to it as the "Old Crocks Run". I told him that's how it was always known in Brighton.
Thickest bloke I ever met and only a multi-millionaire because his dad built a very big business.

Yes always known as the " Old Crocks Run " in Brighton when I was growing up.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Shoreham in the 50s it was the "Old Crock's Race".

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
With respect these cars have been doing it for many years now, surely it's up to the the local motorist to have a few hours off driving not to clog up the roads.

We have it with Goodwood FOS and the Goodwood revival, but we have some of the best cars and motorcycles in the world going through Chichester, how lucky is that?

You want to try driving on the car park that is the M25 in traffic jams.
You might be in a new car, that could be a classic by the time you exit, crazy :angry:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Youth! Thanks

It's one day a year though. Surely you can plan your life around that? Not much different to the London to Brighton cycle ride, I'd have thought (except that one doesn't go through your village so it's OK, right? :wink: ).

I love seeing all the old cars, some of them are absolutely stunning. I used to live in Burgess Hill and they all came trundling through there en route. Can't say it ever really caused me a problem!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here