Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our all time top scorer.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
In the i newspaper today they have listed the top scorers at the Premier League clubs. Ours is Tommy Cook 1922-29 with 123 goals. The 20's look like they were a good time to watch footie as 9 of the clubs top scorers were playing in that decade.

How close has anyone else come and when will we beat that. 12 goals a season over 10 seasons doesn't seem too huge an ask. Solly?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Unless we return to a 2-3-5 formation and the ability to pick the goalie up and chuck him in the net with the ball, I can't see the likes of Dixie Dean and Tommy Cook being too troubled.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In the i newspaper today they have listed the top scorers at the Premier League clubs. Ours is Tommy Cook 1922-29 with 123 goals. The 20's look like they were a good time to watch footie as 9 of the clubs top scorers were playing in that decade.

How close has anyone else come and when will we beat that. 12 goals a season over 10 seasons doesn't seem too huge an ask. Solly?

One aspect of that was the change in the offside law in 1925 when it changed from being three defenders to two to mean a striker was offside. The change was immediate - there were 53 more goals involving the Albion in the first season of the new law; five clubs hit 100 goals in 1925/26 - it had only ever been done five times previously in the history of the Football League.

Albion all-time list (Football League / FA Cup / League Cup only since 1920 - NOT including wartime matches). Minimum 80 goals.

123 - Tommy Cook
99 - Kit Napier
95 - Peter Ward
94 - Bert Stephens
90 - Albert Mundy
89 - Bobby Zamora
83 - Bobby Farrell
82 - Dan Kirkwood
81 - Glenn Murray

All-time league matches list. Minimum 70 goals.

114 - Tommy Cook
87 - Albert Mundy
86 - Bert Stephens
84 - Kit Napier
83 - Bobby Zamora
81 - Peter Ward
78 - Glenn Murray
74 - Dan Kirkwood
72 - Jimmy Hopkins

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Wardy is my all time in my era. Thought young Frederick Binney would have been up there, ah well.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
One aspect of that was the change in the offside law in 1925 when it changed from being three defenders to two to mean a striker was offside. The change was immediate - there were 53 more goals involving the Albion in the first season of the new law; five clubs hit 100 goals in 1925/26 - it had only ever been done five times previously in the history of the Football League.

Albion all-time list (Football League / FA Cup / League Cup only since 1920 - NOT including wartime matches). Minimum 80 goals.

123 - Tommy Cook
99 - Kit Napier
95 - Peter Ward
94 - Bert Stephens
90 - Albert Mundy
89 - Bobby Zamora
83 - Bobby Farrell
82 - Dan Kirkwood
81 - Glenn Murray

114 - Tommy Cook
87 - Albert Mundy
86 - Bert Stephens
84 - Kit Napier
83 - Bobby Zamora
81 - Peter Ward
78 - Glenn Murray
74 - Dan Kirkwood
72 - Jimmy Hopkins

Anyone know the goals per game ration of these players?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

123 - Tommy Cook
99 - Kit Napier
95 - Peter Ward
94 - Bert Stephens
90 - Albert Mundy
89 - Bobby Zamora
83 - Bobby Farrell
82 - Dan Kirkwood
81 - Glenn Murray

114 - Tommy Cook
87 - Albert Mundy
86 - Bert Stephens
84 - Kit Napier
83 - Bobby Zamora
81 - Peter Ward
78 - Glenn Murray
74 - Dan Kirkwood
72 - Jimmy Hopkins

Why no Football League Trophy etc given that they are 1st team games

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would that be the 'Solly' who has scored 9 in 95 appearances.
I can't be arsed to do the maths, but I'll hazard a guess at his current rate Solly will need to play until he's a very old man.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Anyone know the goals per game ration of these players?

Goals to minutes is a better reflection still. And I don't have figures for either.

Why no Football League Trophy etc given that they are 1st team games

Cos I'm an arse that way.

In truth - first team games - yes; full-strength - hmmm, rarely. Kind of skews the pitch a bit, I fancy...

I know FA Cup and League Cup matches rarely have full-strength sides out, but these figures are from when full strength sides were put out.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Bobby Zamora had a much better goals per game ratio than Peter Ward. It wouldn't surprise me if Zamora has the best goal per game ratio for scorers above 70 goals in our history.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Goals to minutes is a better reflection still. And I don't have figures for either.

Cos I'm an arse that way.

In truth - first team games - yes; full-strength - hmmm, rarely. Kind of skews the pitch a bit, I fancy...

I know FA Cup and League Cup matches rarely have full-strength sides out, but these figures are from when full strength sides were put out.

Did Bobby or Murray ever score in a paintpots game?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Jake Robinson's 13 goals in 123 games for a striker is pretty impressive. The Wilkin's babes was definitely a proud time in our history.

...and it all started so promisingly at Reading.
Little did we realise then that the new Michael Owen would turn into ' jigsaw Jake '

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Would that be the 'Solly' who has scored 9 in 95 appearances.
I can't be arsed to do the maths, but I'll hazard a guess at his current rate Solly will need to play until he's a very old man.

I assume the poster has his tongue in his cheek suggesting Solly March. If he gets 5 this season he will have done very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here