Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Cologne Xmas Market

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Off to Cologne to visit the Christmas Markets in early December for 5 days.
Booked a hotel near the cathedral which I know is central to everything.
So anyone got some places I must visit?
Driving back and have one night spare. Any ideas for an overnight stay between Cologne & Calais, is Brussels worth a visit?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I went during the world cup over there in 2006. Cathedral is a must obviously. Beyond that I can't remember much but it seemed like a really nice city.

Suspect it has changed a lot in 11 years due to the mass immigration though. Watch out for the immigrants bottom touching of woman - it's a real problem in Germany and Cologne especially now.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The outside shopping road adjacent to the cathedral is sublime. Superb hot wine and frankfurters plus some seriously interesting street musicians. I remember visiting about ten years ago and being royally entertained by a local didgerry-doo jazz sextet...

Class City, home of Can, say not more!

Frankfurt am Main, Dusseldorf and Munich also good from my experience. Great Country and great people....

TNBA

TTF

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bruges is a good stopover

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I went during the world cup over there in 2006. Cathedral is a must obviously. Beyond that I can't remember much but it seemed like a really nice city.

Suspect it has changed a lot in 11 years due to the mass immigration though. Watch out for the immigrants bottom touching of woman - it's a real problem in Germany and Cologne especially now.

Wouldn't happen in Poland :smile:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ghent. Lovely small city . Beer, chocolate , beer, waffles, trams, Flemish architure, oh and beer.

Pretty place but not as touristy and chocolate boxey as Bruge.

Some beautiful churches as well.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Ghent. Lovely small city . Beer, chocolate , beer, waffles, trams, Flemish architure, oh and beer.

Pretty place but not as touristy and chocolate boxey as Bruge.

Some beautiful churches as well.

Agreed, great city. Ghent has its own Christmas market which starts on 8 December.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
As you are staying close to the cathedral, make sure you put aside time to actually visit the cathedral. It really is special. Great city, so much to see and do. Have fun.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Koln is a great city, other than the cathedral there are few specific places to visit but it is just a great city to wonder around taking in the culture. The christmas market is brilliant and then there is kolsch.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Off to Cologne to visit the Christmas Markets in early December for 5 days.
Booked a hotel near the cathedral which I know is central to everything.
So anyone got some places I must visit?
Driving back and have one night spare. Any ideas for an overnight stay between Cologne & Calais, is Brussels worth a visit?

Have you thought about Ypres? you can eat in a restaurant on the square early, as they know British visitors like to go theevening remembrance ceremony and then make your way to the menin gate -just 5 minutes walk away -for the event at 8pm. Calais is then just about an hour way the following day. If you are returning on a sunday and want some booze, then then it could well be that the shops will be open, as it is close to Xmas.If the French supermarkets are closed, then type in Calais wine and beer, and the shop is open on sundays and is very close to the ferry port and the motorway if you are going on the tunnel. hope that this helps.

Seagull Saz

Aug 18, 2013
I'm glad you are staying in Cologne - we went to the Christmas market for the day on a coach from Liege and it was absolute bedlam when everybody went back to meet their coaches in the evening.
Nice market and the cathedral is lovely to visit during Advent.
We also went to Aachen, which had its own market - and there was a football match on!
Germany is great - underrated in my opinion.
We've also been to Ghent and found it pleasant, although not loads to do there. Brussels is also worth a visit for the lovely Grand Place square. Manneken Pis is a little underwhelming. Lots of chocolate shops of course.
Have fun!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here