Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MLS - Team moving

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I have been very impressed by the growth of football in the US. Now it seems one of their owners wants to move the team from Ohio to Texas.

I know in US sport this is far from uncommon but they're pretty gutted from what I've read online.

Worth a banner given we are live on tv in support of keeping them grounded?

Could be the start of a new phase for the MLS. Teams rooted in the community and not moved about like NFL etc.

Anyway read this.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...rce=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_m_medium=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
It's a way of life over here - nothing unusual. San Diego is almost certainly about to lose its NFL team and is powerless (ish) to stop it.

Austin is I believe the largest US City without a major sports team. It's also a great place despite being in Texas. Ohio is infinitely forgettable. I think its only claims to fame are AA and Jack Nicklaus.

I think the owner might be making a smart move.

And have you seen the Atlanta phenomenon? Brand new team this season and it has > 70,000 JCLs at every game. I don't think old world values are transferable. Over there you think 100 miles is a long way whereas over here they think 100 years is a long time. Etc.

Think you might be flogging a dead horse ... sorry

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If an owner thinks they can make more money by moving cities they will. No fan protest will change their mind. The only way to keep the team is for the city to offer incentives to stay.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Colombus are an original club, first to get 10,000 season ticket holders, and the first to build a stadium. This really REALLY shouldn't be allowed. It is quite remarkable that billionaire sports club owners in the US insist on stadiums being built for them out of public money and blackmail them with the threat of skipping town. I guess it was only a matter of time before MLS was infected with this shite.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
My brother lives in Atlanta and bought a season ticket just to get his footy fix ( A Leeds fan also sadly)
Great crowds and they lost out in the Play offs but not the same as our footy sadly he tells me.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
My brother lives in Atlanta and bought a season ticket just to get his footy fix ( A Leeds fan also sadly)
Great crowds and they lost out in the Play offs but not the same as our footy sadly he tells me.

Pretty much the same as me. Although I can watch every Albion game live on TV in the States I still miss being in a stadium watching the real thing, so watch the Red Bulls. And it isn't the same as footy back home - either the standard of play or the atmosphere in the stadium, but it's the next best thing

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Pretty much the same as me. Although I can watch every Albion game live on TV in the States I still miss being in a stadium watching the real thing, so watch the Red Bulls. And it isn't the same as footy back home - either the standard of play or the atmosphere in the stadium, but it's the next best thing

Never a truer word said. A friend of a friend was a player for Chivas back in 2009/10, and got us a few tickets for some games, the StubHub Stadium is great (Current home for LA Galaxy also) but the crowd was hardwork, but for a few hundred diehards in one corner, the atmosphere was dead, and people would get up and leave for refreshments when ever they fancied. As a side note, the Chivas franchise was brought back by the MLS in 2014 and will be reissued in 2018 to a new team, or franchise to be correct.

Really strange how teams can come and go, not just in football, but in any of the major sports here in the States. Just watching the debacle that is the historic LA based, then more recently, the San Diego Chargers, returning to LA and trying to fill the same Galaxy stadium (Capacity 28,000) is painful, the concept of loyalty to fans is far surpassed by finance.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Never a truer word said. A friend of a friend was a player for Chivas back in 2009/10, and got us a few tickets for some games, the StubHub Stadium is great (Current home for LA Galaxy also) but the crowd was hardwork, but for a few hundred diehards in one corner, the atmosphere was dead, and people would get up and leave for refreshments when ever they fancied. As a side note, the Chivas franchise was brought back by the MLS in 2014 and will be reissued in 2018 to a new team, or franchise to be correct.

Really strange how teams can come and go, not just in football, but in any of the major sports here in the States. Just watching the debacle that is the historic LA based, then more recently, the San Diego Chargers, returning to LA and trying to fill the same Galaxy stadium (Capacity 28,000) is painful, the concept of loyalty to fans is far surpassed by finance.

The Chargers are not really historically LA based, founded there and played their first season there. Then 45 years in San Diego. You only have to look at the make up of their crowds to see that they do not belong in LA. Debacle is the correct word though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's a way of life over here - nothing unusual. San Diego is almost certainly about to lose its NFL team and is powerless (ish) to stop it.

Austin is I believe the largest US City without a major sports team. It's also a great place despite being in Texas. Ohio is infinitely forgettable. I think its only claims to fame are AA and Jack Nicklaus.

I think the owner might be making a smart move.

And have you seen the Atlanta phenomenon? Brand new team this season and it has > 70,000 JCLs at every game. I don't think old world values are transferable. Over there you think 100 miles is a long way whereas over here they think 100 years is a long time. Etc.

Think you might be flogging a dead horse ... sorry

Just because the Americans have behaved this way in regard to sports teams before, does not make it right. Without protest change isn't often possible and the world trundles along as it was before. Whether they have a cat's chance in hell of changing anything doesn't make it an unworthy cause. I would imagine our fight against the money men was fought at times when there seemed little chance of victory.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Just because the Americans have behaved this way in regard to sports teams before, does not make it right. Without protest change isn't often possible and the world trundles along as it was before. Whether they have a cat's chance in hell of changing anything doesn't make it an unworthy cause. I would imagine our fight against the money men was fought at times when there seemed little chance of victory.

If you want to decide what is/isn't right in US sports culture from afar, go ahead. But, do tell, what are you going to do about salary caps, scalpers, tee shirt canons, cheerleaders, hot dogs, unsustainable transport, unsegregated crowds, games played in different time zones, the franchise model, absence of history, soccer instead of football, only a small number of elite professional clubs, no football pyramid, post-season, pricing in dollars, unnecessarily luxurious facilities, unnecessarily comfortable stadia, artificial pitches, the US national anthem, the role of Commissioner, away fans having to travel thousands of miles ...

It's not a question of right or wrong. It's different. They haven't had > 100 years to build community roots. Someone has to decide to risk a lot of money to get a team going. They can't start small and incrementally invest in years of promotion. It's Big Bang, now or never, piss or get off the pot.

As a nation, we were once famous for deciding what was or wasn't right in other countries and cultures. I'd respectfully suggest that those days are behind us. With regard to soccer, Sir Stanley Rous has passed on. It's time for us to do the same. Live and let live, old bean.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's not a question of right or wrong. It's different.

Bravo. There's a lot of good in the American model as well. I don't really see what's so interesting about the same teams winning everything because they are the richest to be honest.

The thing that people over here don't see to get is how good and well supported college sport is. That's where the local connection is, professional sport is an elite product for television first and foremost.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
If you want to decide what is/isn't right in US sports culture from afar, go ahead. But, do tell, what are you going to do about salary caps, scalpers, tee shirt canons, cheerleaders, hot dogs, unsustainable transport, unsegregated crowds, games played in different time zones, the franchise model, absence of history, soccer instead of football, only a small number of elite professional clubs, no football pyramid, post-season, pricing in dollars, unnecessarily luxurious facilities, unnecessarily comfortable stadia, artificial pitches, the US national anthem, the role of Commissioner, away fans having to travel thousands of miles ...

It's not a question of right or wrong. It's different. They haven't had > 100 years to build community roots. Someone has to decide to risk a lot of money to get a team going. They can't start small and incrementally invest in years of promotion. It's Big Bang, now or never, piss or get off the pot.

As a nation, we were once famous for deciding what was or wasn't right in other countries and cultures. I'd respectfully suggest that those days are behind us. With regard to soccer, Sir Stanley Rous has passed on. It's time for us to do the same. Live and let live, old bean.

Of course you are right from an economic perspective, the moguls setting up these franchises by and large obviously won't have the propagation of a local footballing community as their number one priority- that's just a happy by-product. That's not to say it doesn't still show scant disregard for these communities having their team ripped from them after they've invested themselves so fully.

Ultimately though because the country is so enormous its going to be impossible for all these cities to play at the top table, and with money in mind the greater the variety of these cities will be king. With the current model as it is the franchise model is the most effective in a profit sense, building the brand etc etc. Until 'soccer' properly develops and is well supported across a more local level in the US this is always going to happen with the national league set up.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Until 'soccer' properly develops and is well supported across a more local level in the US this is always going to happen with the national league set up.

And as popularity increases over there I'd expect the college model to fill this gap as it does effectively in other sport. Some college teams already get crowds akin to lower league football here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here