Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man detained in Dubai for 4 months for touching another man's HIP

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Dubai isn't in Qatar. Or is this a different sport's world cup?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just to confirm, we are shortly to have a World Cup in a country where a man can be arrested and put in prison for 3 months, losing his job in the process, because he touched a man's hip to steady himself, as otherwise he would have spilled his drink.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/jamie-harron-latest-jailed-dubai-touch-hip-would-go-back-united-arab-emirates-a8018416.html

Case was eventually dismissed after at one point he was possibly facing 3 years in prison.

If the world cup is in Dubai you better tell them as they've not started building any stadiums !

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Just to confirm, we are shortly to have a World Cup in a country where a man can be arrested and put in prison for 3 months, losing his job in the process, because he touched a man's hip to steady himself, as otherwise he would have spilled his drink.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/jamie-harron-latest-jailed-dubai-touch-hip-would-go-back-united-arab-emirates-a8018416.html

Case was eventually dismissed after at one point he was possibly facing 3 years in prison.

I'd stick to threads about booing.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Probably already has an agent. Guaranteed he'll be on the GMTV sofa tomorrow, such is the high end news output from the show. Then Celebrity Big Brother.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
:facepalm:

I might just leave. For the best.

Still, crazy story right? Right guys...?!

UPDATE: No idea what you lot are on about. Haven't mentioned the World Cup at all. And for both of you to edit my posts in exactly the same fashion to make it look like I did, is frankly low.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
:facepalm:

I might just leave. For the best.

Still, crazy story right? Right guys...?!

UPDATE: No idea what you lot are on about. Haven't mentioned the World Cup at all. And for both of you to edit my posts in exactly the same fashion to make it look like I did, is frankly low.

Shame on you BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It was three months not three years. He also made an obscene gesture to the man.

If you read the article fully, it states he was "looking at up to 3 years in prison". He served/was detained for 3 months.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Some serious homoeroticism in Dubai, the men seem to enjoy walking hand in hand or arm and arm with each other, some deep rooted sexual desires being suppressed I reckon :)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The hip touching hasn’t been so much the issue over here, though it’s made a good story for the British press.

It’s the fact he raised his finger to the guy.

You might think ‘so what’, but the culture here considers direct personal insults like that not just disrespectful, but actually unacceptable.

You learn to live with it. Don’t flip the bird to people.

That’s what the court cared more about here, and he isn’t the first expat to come up against that.

However the hip aspect was getting so much negative Media coverage that Sheikh Mo decided that was more damaging to Dubai’s image than was merited, and let the guy go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The hip touching hasn’t been so much the issue over here, though it’s made a good story for the British press.

It’s the fact he raised his finger to the guy.

You might think ‘so what’, but the culture here considers direct personal insults like that not just disrespectful, but actually unacceptable.

You learn to live with it. Don’t flip the bird to people.

That’s what the court cared more about here, and he isn’t the first expat to come up against that.

However the hip aspect was getting so much negative Media coverage that Sheikh Mo decided that was more damaging to Dubai’s image than was merited, and let the guy go.

I prefer a subtle Nescafé wave....what’s the score with this?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Some serious homoeroticism in Dubai, the men seem to enjoy walking hand in hand or arm and arm with each other, some deep rooted sexual desires being suppressed I reckon :)

Commonplace throughout the Arab world and nothing to do with homosexuality at all.Even seen soldiers do it in Oman,but not once on duty.Hatred of homosexuality is very deep-rooted in their culture.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
OK, I've been all through this thread and I can't find anything about why this other guy had a Home Information Pack with him in the first place. Was he an estate agent?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here