Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Interesting article about BHA & future for black and/or women managers

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I came across this article in the Voice published last week where the Amex hosted a 'Kick It Out' night and where both Brighton managers, Chris Hughton and Hope Powell, and also Liam Rosenior attended.

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/black-football-managers-make-history

Personally, I find it curious how most Brighton fans, including myself, hardly give Hughton's ethnicity a second thought. Doubly curious when you consider that we've long been associated with trying to tackle homophobia rather than racism as this article commends us for. However for Hughton to be one of the very few black managers is clearly a big issue for him, he's said that he believes that much more needs to be done, he's fully in favour of the Rooney rule and also that he's happy being seen as an ambassador and mentor for future black managers.

The article also has Hope Powell's views on whether a woman could eventually manage a men's team, something I can't see happening in the very near future especially given how long it's taking black coaches to make the step up from academy coaching where apparently they are very well represented to senior management positions. I expect women managers will happen one day and I think it would be a very good thing for the game.

Whatever your views, I hope we can all agree how good it is that the Albion are leading the way in making football a game for everyone whether supporting or playing. Great also to see how Liam Rosenior is also getting more and more involved in these things. Although very different in styles and focus, it reminds me a lot of Inigo Calderon's work.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Really good read and very interesting stuff. I would be in favour of any developments to encourage more BME managers into the game. What I cannot stand though is the likes of a few players who suggest when a black manager is sacked it is linked to their ethnicity and not their performance, imagine if FDB was black for examples and sacked after 4 games.

As for the female as a manager, I am going to predict their will be one in the top 5 divisions within the next 10 years, would be really interesting and who gives a **** about gender if they are good at their job.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Chris is a very decent man,and a great football manager.Most Brighton fans don't even notice his ethnicity,unless it's raised by a third party-just the way it should be.Equality is very important,but I feel that ability is just as important.More BME people need to take coaching courses and rise through their abilities.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Chris is a very decent man,and a great football manager.Most Brighton fans don't even notice his ethnicity,unless it's raised by a third party-just the way it should be.Equality is very important,but I feel that ability is just as important.More BME people need to take coaching courses and rise through their abilities.

I agree completely with you except where you say more should take up coaching courses. The PFA latest figures report that 18% of those with or studying for coaching badges are BME and this article quotes Hughton as saying that there is much better representation at academy level and below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Hughton-Brighton-s-rise-battling-racism.html

I must confess as an outsider I don't know if there is racism in the game but the glaring anomaly between the number of black players and the number of managers suggests that all is not right and if Hughton says it's an issue then I'm happy to go with his view.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here