Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber in Horsham Wednesday Evening

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
An interesting evening.

Let me first say he's very good at his job, and IMO we're lucky to have him.

Spoke amongst other things about loyalty points (clearly Bloom's baby) away ticket allocations, touting and the transfer window.

Yes,a bit of spin sometimes, and I felt somewhat evasive when it came to the potential Jansen signing, but overall pretty informative.

Blue jumper.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An interesting evening.

Spoke amongst other things about loyalty points (clearly Bloom's baby) away ticket allocations, touting and the transfer window.

Yes,a bit of spin sometimes, and I felt somewhat evasive when it came to the potential Jansen signing, but overall pretty informative.

Blue jumper.

Are people still rattling on about Jansen? I'm surprised PB managed to stay awake on that historical point.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
An interesting evening.

Blue jumper.

He's probably embarrassed that they even went for him. I guess a bit of the transfer window madness got to them in that final evening when all the careful planning nearly went out of the window (excuse the pun) and they thought that signing any striker for any price was better than not signing anybody. He probably wakes up at night in a cold sweat thinking about how much money they nearly wasted on a player we didn't need.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
With Janssen Barber has gone on the record a couple of times saying is was not a mistake to use our last loan signing on Krul on deadline day because Janssen was definitely not going anywhere on loan. Hmmm. Anybody know what Janssen is up to?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The whole Janssen deal doesn’t add up to me. I believe Barber is not telling fans the whole story.

It all seems to make sense to me. It’s whether you believe it or not; I don’t have any reason to disbelieve it.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Here in slightly more detail is what was discussed (as I remember it so mistakes are down to me)

1. Lift work (bottom of coach park) should be complete by Stoke game).
2. Someone asked if wider stairs could be put in around this same area to help with this bottle neck after games. PB will look into this?
3. Home shirts - why are they out of stock. We ordered quadruple what we had ordered before and still sold out. It's a one season shirt. Bloom does not really believe in discounting as its our main item of merchandise. More are on the way but club will not over order so get in quick when they arrive.
4. Women's replica shirt. Some girls do not like the low cut, including the Albion women's team apparently who wear the men's kit. Designed by Nike based on what American women like. PB is aware of the issue.
5. Footballs. PB relayed a story about when he worked at the FA and Beckham was complaining about the ball to be used in the Greece WC qualifier game (the free kick game). Basically the ball was exactly the same as the one they normally used except it was a different colour. Player were adamant they could not play with it. Players are sensitive to these things.
6. Catering and gluten free. PB will get the catering manager to call and discuss this with someone who asked why there isn't any.
7. Premier League and the overseas TV deal. PB is not a Turkey voting for Christmas but the issue has not gone away. If the big clubs get really unhappy they could try and negotiate their own overseas deals. Obviously the Albion could do the same but will be less demand. May have to accept a smaller cut of a collective deal in the future.
8. Loyalty Scheme. Lots on this most of which has been said before. Its Bloom's baby. He tinkers with the maths behind it. Club have no attendance data from the Goldstone and Withdeane years. Its lost.
9. Touting. Club are aware and taking a tough line. 100 odd caught at the Everton game. You will lose your season ticket and no refund. Club have one person working full time on this issue.
10. Attendance figures. All clubs report sales not attendance (in PL at least). Average no show in PL is 10-12%. Albion are well below this. Away attendance is 98% through the PL.
11. The Transfer Window. Lots on this mostly heard before. Here is what interested me. Krull was only available to loan. Newcastle did not what to sell at that point. PB did not clarify why. They only agreed to sell at the later point. Jansen was never available to loan as Levy was not prepared to loan to a PL team (only sell) so a loan for Jansen was never an option. We were very close to buying but it fell through late on. He was never a target for us. We were told he was available in the last week of the transfer window and he was perceived as so good we had to try. PB said half jokingly that can people stop taking pics of him at airports and on planes as it can tip off other clubs. This nearly happened in the Mat Ryan deal. We are still a striker and working hard and hopeful. We have been tracking player(s) for more than a year. The striker we want needs to be big, mobile and a goalscorer. There are not many of these so its difficult.
12. Hotel - its on the back burner.
13. Jose Izquierdo - PB mentioned him and seemed very upbeat about him based on what they have seen him do in training. We've seen a glimpse on the pitch but a whole lot more to come.
14. Park and Ride - no new site on the horizon. They are expensive and current ones able to cope.
15. We spent £5.5 million on ground improvements. The new floodlights can be programmed to flash on and off like a disco. We may see some of this in the future. They are much brighter when fully turned up which we have not seen yet.

That all I can remember.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Sorry - also ticket exchange is being improved. By Christmas they should have a system in have that will give you the option of cash or a voucher (voucher will be worth more as money goes back to the club). Then next year they should be able to allow you to discount next season ticket against exchange sales. Having said all that, i dont really know how the current one works.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
4. Women's replica shirt. Some girls do not like the low cut, including the Albion women's team apparently who wear the men's kit. Designed by Nike based on what American women like. PB is aware of the issue.

Well, I had no idea the women's shirts were low cut! I suppose the shorts are shorter and just a little bit tighter as well? Tch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here