Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jac Holmes RIP

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
A hero, say I.

Had he come home alive he would have been taken in, questioned and possibly prosecuted and imprisoned.

To me he's a hero, as are the Kurds he fought alongside.

RIP Jac Holmes, I salute you.

M

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
I'm overseas at the moment and BBC World News is reporting his death high up its news agenda.

On checking the London BBC news feeds they hardly seem to acknowledge the story, how disgraceful.

Kid from Dorset goes to fight ISIS/daesh because he believes it is the right thing to do, fights for years then dies clearing mines in Raqqa (so that civilians can return.)

In the first world war he would have been given a Military Cross - or more.

BBC is dangerous.

RIP Jac Holmes, we should all salute you.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A hero, say I.

Had he come home alive he would have been taken in, questioned and possibly prosecuted and imprisoned.

M

What law had he broken then?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Not from where I'm reading their news, overseas, I don't know how their ?filters work

Its not on the standard overseas frontpage for BBC news sites - you do not get the same stories abroad except on really regional pages.

Possibly the lack of coverage on their international versions is because even as someone who consumes an awful lot of UK media (I've BBC/ITV/C4 on cable, read UK papers both online and physical, have a Private Eye sub) - I've never heard of him before.

Looking at what news sites are reporting his death, I would have tomorrow. They do seem to be covering it extensively - and appropriately I'd guess.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
RIP Jac
What a Bloke he was
Brave and principled
Deepest Sympathy to Family and Friends
You should all be very proud

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

He would possibly have been taken in for questioning, if only to try and establish a first hand account of the situation on the ground there. It's highly unlikely he would have been prosecuted. It's worth noting that his final tour was his third. As such, he had returned to this country twice before without being charged with any offence.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm overseas at the moment and BBC World News is reporting his death high up its news agenda.

On checking the London BBC news feeds they hardly seem to acknowledge the story, how disgraceful.

Kid from Dorset goes to fight ISIS/daesh because he believes it is the right thing to do, fights for years then dies clearing mines in Raqqa (so that civilians can return.)

In the first world war he would have been given a Military Cross - or more.

BBC is dangerous.

RIP Jac Holmes, we should all salute you.

In the first world war the military cross was only available to officers not lower ranks

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There was quite a bit about him on Newsnight last night, including part of an intreview.

People who accuse the BBC of being dangerous are themselves dangerous - discuss. .....

The BBC is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
A hero, say I.

M

Hi, I noticed that you have started 7 threads in your 16 posts.

There was a very similar poster who left us 2 weeks before you joined.

May I ask your views on Duran Duran?

(Do I claim £5 :) )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here