Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Vietnam War - on iPlayer documentary

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
First 2 episodes expire from BBC iPlayer tomorrow at 10pm.

This is an incredible 10 episode documentary exploring every facet of Vietnam from the French colonial occupation through to 1973 and beyond. 10 years in the making, it is well worth a watch if you haven't already. From the very personal to the larger political motivations, it is a superbly balanced and engrossing bit of film making.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Totally agree. It is excellent. The first episodes in particular about how the conflict came to pass is fascinating. Sadly very avoidable. Great insights from participants on both sides too. I found the struggles of LBJ very interesting aswell, he clearly didn't want to be involved, but once in he had no way out.

Also if anyone wanted a reminder of the horrors of war, this series really delivers.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yep, great series, I never really knew how it started. You would have thought that after the Nazi occupation of France that the French would have been against their own occupation of Vietnam and given it back to them.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I think the fact that he has more video, and the Nixon tapes to work with this time, makes this one of the best docs that he's made.

Any fans of this series and Ken Burns' languid, slow panning photo essay style should check out his previous series' on Jazz, the Wild West and (despite my utter disdain for the game itself) my favourite of all on Baseball. Somehow it manages to tell the story of an entire nation through one sport. Incredible work.

That Kissinger is a right piece of shit isn't he.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Going to get bang on this

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Meant to add that the testimonies of the combatants on both sides was utterly moving, particularly in regards to the sheer futility of the losses and also the dehumanisation (and explicit racism) that lead to events like My Lai.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have it on series link on BBC4. Agree with sentiments already written. Very Good.

If you enjoyed the World at War's coverage of World War 2, you will feel the same for this coverage of 'NAM.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I started watching this on Saturday and, thus far, it's extremely impressive especially in terms of the archive material and the feel of it.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Been really enjoying it. As hotchilidog said, the background leading up to the war was particularly revealing to hear. The access to White House recordings are incredible too – add a real depth to it. Constantly correlating what was happening in Vietnam with the situation domestically is good too.

The only disappointment for me was last week's episode which covered My Lai. Personally I would have like more focus on this, as it was such a shocking moment in American military history, and I think more depth on it would have been worthwhile. Instead it was treated in much the same way as the other major moments, which I guess is fine from a point of consistency – but if there was anything that personifies the war and merited pulling out of the regular narrative, it would have been My Lai for me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the fact that he has more video, and the Nixon tapes to work with this time, makes this one of the best docs that he's made.

Any fans of this series and Ken Burns' languid, slow panning photo essay style should check out his previous series' on Jazz, the Wild West and (despite my utter disdain for the game itself) my favourite of all on Baseball. Somehow it manages to tell the story of an entire nation through one sport. Incredible work.

That Kissinger is a right piece of shit isn't he.

There is a really good podcast 'WTF with Marc Maron' episode 845 with Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, well worth a listen if you are into their work.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Great series recommended to me by one of my stepsons. Very glad he mentioned it! Having carried rifle and pack late 70's/early 80's I can relate to the sort of tactics (and even recognise the equipment!) being shown! As a military history buff I'm glad to see Giap's role being given the coverage it is due. Regardless of his politics (and I can say the same of several WW2 German or Soviet commanders who fought for odious political systems) in purely military terms the man was a genius, very underrated especially here in the West. He certainly ranks among the best conventional commanders in history, and must be THE best in guerrilla warfare.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A very sad example of how politicians f**k things up,by micro-managing things they know nothing about.Soon as they get deeply involved in a war,you know you're on a loser.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Quality. It would be nice if Trump would sit down and watch it.

The latest episode I saw, highlighted Clinton and Bush dodging the draft because of their wealth.

I'm guessing the series was made before Trump came to power, as he was also guilty of using his father's wealth. (Whereas Cassius Clay was being threatened with a Jail term).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Been really enjoying it. As hotchilidog said, the background leading up to the war was particularly revealing to hear. The access to White House recordings are incredible too – add a real depth to it. Constantly correlating what was happening in Vietnam with the situation domestically is good too.

The only disappointment for me was last week's episode which covered My Lai. Personally I would have like more focus on this, as it was such a shocking moment in American military history, and I think more depth on it would have been worthwhile. Instead it was treated in much the same way as the other major moments, which I guess is fine from a point of consistency – but if there was anything that personifies the war and merited pulling out of the regular narrative, it would have been My Lai for me.

There are a few My Lai documentaries out there. This Vietnam series just gives the timeline of events and even this took 5 hours. Going into detail about My Lai would have made it 7 hours long.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here