Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] iPhone 7 using iOS 11.0.3

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Help guys, any ideas why I've downloaded the new update and I'm burning data quicker than Palace lose points?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Read a lot about this. Have a good google there a few solutions out there. The main one is finding out which app is doing stuff in the background. Process of elimination.

Go into settings> mobile data and just turn all of the apps off except for the ones you actually want to use. Then see what happens.

Roll on 11.1, I've been fine on my 7 but there's no doubt that this has been the worst iOS release ever.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Read a lot about this. Have a good google there a few solutions out there. The main one is finding out which app is doing stuff in the background. Process of elimination.

Go into settings> mobile data and just turn all of the apps off except for the ones you actually want to use. Then see what happens.

Roll on 11.1, I've been fine on my 7 but there's no doubt that this has been the worst iOS release ever.

Thank you, will do, but this is a real ball ache, I've burnt my normal 4GB and purchased an additional 1GB

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Sorry, shameless bounce in case anyone has a simple answer!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Just a thought but sometimes after updates on Mac stuff it does a lot of archiving/backing up, rebuilding the search library and stuff like that. Could be something to do with that. Which doesn't help a great deal, sorry.

First thing I would do is turn off the option that allows 'Background Refresh'.. I think that's what it's called. So it can only update apps etc over wifi, instead of killing your data limit.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Help guys, any ideas why I've downloaded the new update and I'm burning data quicker than Palace lose points?

Exact same thing happened to me. Used 10GB in a couple weeks when I average 6GB a month. Thought my phone had been hacked somehow. WiFi Assist wasn't on on mine, I went though all my apps in background refresh and turned a lot of crap off but still eating about 1GB a day.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Exact same thing happened to me. Used 10GB in a couple weeks when I average 6GB a month. Thought my phone had been hacked somehow. WiFi Assist wasn't on on mine, I went though all my apps in background refresh and turned a lot of crap off but still eating about 1GB a day.

Auto video play on social media apps, that seems to burn data too?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Auto video play on social media apps, that seems to burn data too?

I'm looking through to see what apps take up most data. The news app is 3.7GB. Time and location 4.9GB! Not sure on the time line. I have enough data to cover it, but it's a bit of a shock to suddenly be using 10GB more. Turned the news off now anyway as I never read it.

Thanks.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Check that WiFi assist isn’t turned on. Basically if your WiFi connection isn’t great it’ll use your data to improve speed. This always resets after an update. Settings>Mobile Data. Scroll to the bottom and turn it off.

Done that and turned off the Apps so should be better, thank you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here