Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Need a little help please from the NSC collective.please....

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
As some may be aware I'm studying for an HNC manufacturing engineering and have just started the Materials Unit.

As one part of an assignment I have to name lots of components used in the manufacture of modern automobiles. I also have to state the exact material, I can't just say "steel" or "aluminium" i need to also state the material properties and why it is used.

The metallic ones have been a doddle but I'm struggling with ceramics. I need to discuss 4 ceramic materials. I have 3 but I'm stuck on a 4th!

I have so far.....

Brake discs - silicon carbide reinforced with carbon fibre
Engine valves - Yttria stabilised Zirconia
Spark plugs - aluminium oxide (alumina) ceramic

I'm struggling like hell to find a 4th. Ive now spent days on the internet in the evenings and am drawing a blank. Does anyone have any kind of idea or is there by some miracle a Materials Engineer reading this that could point me in the right direction?

Im suffering a bit of 'can't see the woods for the trees' or some such quote and could do with a nudge in a different direction but can't find it.

It would be very much appreciated thanks!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Belfast sink

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Have you expanded your search to ceramics used in the manufacturing process, rather than just the content in the end product? For example ceramic cores used for casting alloys.

If that's not allowed, then there are a few ceramics in lithium batteries - can you go hybrid? :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As some may be aware I'm studying for an HNC manufacturing engineering and have just started the Materials Unit.

As one part of an assignment I have to name lots of components used in the manufacture of modern automobiles. I also have to state the exact material, I can't just say "steel" or "aluminium" i need to also state the material properties and why it is used.

The metallic ones have been a doddle but I'm struggling with ceramics. I need to discuss 4 ceramic materials. I have 3 but I'm stuck on a 4th!

I have so far.....

I'm struggling like hell to find a 4th. Ive now spent days on the internet in the evenings and am drawing a blank. Does anyone have any kind of idea or is there by some miracle a Materials Engineer reading this that could point me in the right direction?

Im suffering a bit of 'can't see the woods for the trees' or some such quote and could do with a nudge in a different direction but can't find it.

Any clues here ?

http://ceramics.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/applications-ceramic-apps-auto-hoffmann.pdf

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Have you expanded your search to ceramics used in the manufacturing process, rather than just the content in the end product? For example ceramic cores used for casting alloys.

If that's not allowed, then there are a few ceramics in lithium batteries - can you go hybrid? :)

I haven't. That sounds like a bloody good idea though. I thought I'd cracked it with catalytic converters but after digging it turns out they use the same stuff for that as they do valves.

I need to name the exact material and also find out the material properties such as hardness (brinnel, vickers etc.) Young modulus, tensile strength, ductility which is where I'm really struggling with it.

I haven't even started on the 4 Polymer ones I need to do yet.

I've already written near on 3000 words and 15 pages and I've only done 9 of 15 materials. Still have another 6 to go and then another 4 questions/tasks.

It's a monster assignment.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I have so far.....

Catalytic converter a big one its called cordierite

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Catalytic converter a big one its called cordierite

Oooh. Looking at cordierite it seems they used to use it in DPF's before silicon carbide. Just need to find some tech specs on it.

Cheers!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I already had a look at that. I thought a DPF would be a good shout but they use silicon carbide. I already have that material for brake discs so need another one.

They do make ceramic cats but I've used catalysts already for Platinum in my metals section.

I thought I'd breeze this task but it's a lot trickier than I thought.

You can get tungsten carbide discs... use those and go silicon carbide for the DPF. Tungsten is awesome so good to get it in there somewhere :)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A lot of after-market paint protectors are described as liquid ceramic.Not sure if manufacturers use it.Good luck with your project.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
Some clutch components can be ceramic [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION]

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007