Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] [OT] Electric cooker/electrical help required

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Recently moved house and I've just had a new kitchen fitted. The old one was probably put in when the property was built late 60/early 70s so I had quite a bit of electrical work done (new fuse board, various bits moved and additional sockets added, brand new cable for the cooker/hod etc etc).

My electric cooker wasn't that old so I brought it with me in the move which I've now put in with the kitchen so it wasn't used and has sat in the garage for the last 3 months or so. The issue I'm having is when I have main fan oven on it trips the RCD switch on the fuse board. The hobs and the top oven/grill all seem to be fine. Does that mean its likely to be an issue with the fan? Perhaps got damaged in the move?

The oven is an Electolux Insight in case that makes any difference.

Any help gratefully received.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Recently moved house and I've just had a new kitchen fitted. The old one was probably put in when the property was built late 60/early 70s so I had quite a bit of electrical work done (new fuse board, various bits moved and additional sockets added, brand new cable for the cooker/hod etc etc).

My electric cooker wasn't that old so I brought it with me in the move which I've now put in with the kitchen so it wasn't used and has sat in the garage for the last 3 months or so. The issue I'm having is when I have main fan oven on it trips the RCD switch on the fuse board. The hobs and the top oven/grill all seem to be fine. Does that mean its likely to be an issue with the fan? Perhaps got damaged in the move?

It's probaly the heating element , mine did the same thing , got one online fitted myself and everything good , cost about £25 , take old element out to check its type as this is written on it , bit fiddly getting it done but nothing to mental .

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's probaly the heating element , mine did the same thing , got one online fitted myself and everything good , cost about £25 , take old element out to check its type as this is written on it , bit fiddly getting it done but nothing to mental .

Nice one thanks. I will give that a pop.

Clacker kid

Banned
Aug 12, 2017

If it is an element try these guys.

https://www.sussexcookers.com/

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No worries hope it works

New element turned up yesterday, thought better of trying to fit it last night as I'd had a few pints. So did it this morning. As you said was a bit fiddly but not too difficult. Put it all back together and fired her up to full temperature. Five minutes passes and the oven is getting hot and I have a smug grin on my face............POP..........RCD trips again!

GAH!

New oven it is then. Thankfully I had a few quid on West Ham last night. Thank you Mr Bilic you've just bought me a new cooker.

Cheers for you help though fella.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Norway’s Awe-inspiring Aurora

Let the heavenly Northern Lights ignite your wanderlust, as you experience vibrant cultures, delicious cuisine and once-in-a-lifetime activities in Northern Norway’s otherworldly winter wilderness.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
New element turned up yesterday, thought better of trying to fit it last night as I'd had a few pints. So did it this morning. As you said was a bit fiddly but not too difficult. Put it all back together and fired her up to full temperature. Five minutes passes and the oven is getting hot and I have a smug grin on my face............POP..........RCD trips again!

GAH!

New oven it is then. Thankfully I had a few quid on West Ham last night. Thank you Mr Bilic you've just bought me a new cooker.

Cheers for you help though fella.
Where about s are you?
I could pop round and have a look if you want

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Where about s are you?
I could pop round and have a look if you want

I'm in Crowborough. But wouldn't worry too much. I don't really want to throw any more money at it if I'm just going to buy a new one anyway.

Cheers though.

Can you/anyone recommend a decent brand? Been looking at Indesit, Hotpoint and Zanusi ~£500 ceramic (don't want to change all my pots) models.

Any excuse for some AFTER TIMING

#shameful

You got me.....never had a punt in my life, just said it too look cool in front of the bigger boys!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I'm in Crowborough. But wouldn't worry too much. I don't really want to throw any more money at it if I'm just going to buy a new one anyway.

Cheers though.

Can you/anyone recommend a decent brand? Been looking at Indesit, Hotpoint and Zanusi ~£500 ceramic (don't want to change all my pots) models.

You got me.....never had a punt in my life, just said it too look cool in front of the bigger boys!
I’ve just bought an AEG, quite happy with it and good build quality. Steer well clear of belling.
I’m in wadhurst so wouldn’t be miles out my way if you did want me to pop round

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Cheers though.

Bruce Lee could save you a bob or too if it's something as simple as a new fan, light or thermostat or some other similar part. Not your fault as we're all in the same boat, but prices do mean it often seems easier to ditch a decent enough appliance in favour of a new one, even though it might be a simple part to replace. Gave us some good advice on our washing machine that I was grateful for after he popped round.

BHAJ

Jun 17, 2011
Southwick
It’s possibly due to the load that cooker draws, most electric cookers require either a 20 amp or 30 fused supply, you’ll need an electrician to confirm but you may find that the new property has a 20 amp fused supply installed whereas your old electric cooker requires a 30 amp fused supply, i.e. your cooker is drawing to much load for the installed supply and the RCD is tripping.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I’ve just bought an AEG, quite happy with it and good build quality. Steer well clear of belling.
I’m in wadhurst so wouldn’t be miles out my way if you did want me to pop round

Oh well ok then. Was expecting you to say you were down in Brighton. I'm at home this afternoon until 5ish. Send me a PM if you can make this afternoon and I'll give you my details.

I'm in the office tomorrow but could be about most days next week.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here