Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Peaky Blinders

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Formula for a good Peaky Blinders episode:

1. Cut the Downton Abbey hoity toity rubbish.
2. Cut the quantity of slow-mo scenes backed by too loud, heavy and obscure soundtracks, which frankly cause me to drift off and add b***** all to the production quality.
3. Add more vicious fight scenes.
4. Add more gypsies, mafia or any other enemies and weave in some plots and counterplots, with or without British Govt officials.
5. Add Tom Hardy.
6. A few gun-fire / explosion execution scenes.
7. Inject a period celebrity by mention or in person if required (e.g. Winston Churchill, Lawrence of Arabia, Ethel Merman, etc...)
8. Steal a plot or two from Boardwalk Empire
9. Add scenes of coal-stained buildings
10. Repeat the above in any combination as required.

Season 4 Episode 1 failed in the first 30 minutes (too much of 1 and 2), but thankfully the second half picked up with more of 3, 4, 6 and 9.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
We walked from the Town Centre over to St. Andrews a couple of seasons back......not something I would have fancied after dark. Someone told me that would have been the correct area of B'ham too for the Peakies. No idea personally.

The Peaky Blinders were from the Small Heath/ Bordesly area which is where St Andrew’s is located. Not the nicest of areas even now...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interesting to see Tommy Shelby has cut down his smoking these days, instead of smoking 10-15 an episode he smokes 3-4 but manages to make them last about 10 minutes each. Not looking good for the second leg against the Italians, they have only lost a couple of low grade assets but the Shelby's are missing 2 key players for the next round, can't see Connie being fit enough or skilled enough to man a Lewis Gun. Looks like Mad Arthur is going to have to do the spade work as usual.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

2. Cut the quantity of slow-mo scenes backed by too loud, heavy and obscure soundtracks, which frankly cause me to drift off and add b***** all to the production quality.
4. Add more gypsies, mafia or any other enemies and weave in some plots and counterplots, with or without British Govt officials.
5. Add Tom Hardy.
7. Inject a period celebrity by mention or in person if required (e.g. Winston Churchill, Lawrence of Arabia, Ethel Merman, etc...)

Season 4 Episode 1 failed in the first 30 minutes (too much of 1 and 2), but thankfully the second half picked up with more of 3, 4, 6 and 9.

You forgot No 11

No 11 slow motion shots of a Shelby walking determinedly through a steel works/industrial plant with no safety protocols regarding molten metal and unguarded sources of ignition.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

5. Add Tom Hardy.

Excellent analysis. I'm sure the editors know that more of "3.", "4." "5." and "6." is what most people want but they have to pad it out with the other stuff...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You forgot No 11

No 11 slow motion shots of a Shelby walking determinedly through a steel works/industrial plant with no safety protocols regarding molten metal and unguarded sources of ignition.

Different times different times...

Good use of meat hook

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
You forgot No 11

You're right, 'Shelby proximity to dangerous spraying molten metal' is a staple ingredient of most episodes.

I also forgot:

12. Strong woman being strong (Polly / Ada / Esme). This can on occasion be interspersed with a scene where the strong woman is momentarily weak / unsure of herself, but by the end of the episode will return to strong woman being strong again.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"No children. No civilians"

"No police"

Going to be good.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hadn't seen any of this before tonight - got bored with the Man Utd match and Mrs DiS found it on catch up and decided we should see whaat all the fuss is about.

I think we're hooked and will be looking to catch up on the series that we have missed. The final scene with Shelby and Changretta(?) was brilliant.

PS - in some ways which we'd stayed on to enjoy the Basel winner!!!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Absolutely ridiculous series but ridiculously addictive.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
A lot of it is filmed around the corner from me at the Black Country Museum (well worth a visit if you ever come up this way). Very much looking forward to season 4 :clap2:

Whereabouts are you then? Back in the nineties I lived at Withymoor Village in Brierley Hill and worked at the Vaughan Trading Estate on Sedgley Road East in Tipton.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Whereabouts are you then? Back in the nineties I lived at Withymoor Village in Brierley Hill and worked at the Vaughan Trading Estate on Sedgley Road East in Tipton.

Just down the road on Cradley Heath :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here