Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Gunpowder bbc series - not for the faint hearted

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Turned the telly on to be confronted with some old woman being crushed between metal plates.....switched off. I know they were cruel times back then but I don't want to see how cruel, thanks.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Turned the telly on to be confronted with some old woman being crushed between metal plates.....switched off. I know they were cruel times back then but I don't want to see how cruel, thanks.

Same. Although we did wait to switch off until the young lad's heart was ripped out after being hung :nono:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Same. Although we did wait to switch off until the young lad's heart was ripped out after being hung :nono:

I wandered back into the room having been in the kitchen for a while and thought Casualty was still on...

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Maybe it is just me getting more sensitive in my old age, but I do find that more and more of these dramas are getting gorier and gorier. Even some series I used to watch religiously I have now given up on as being too violent - gratuitously so, imho. I have recorded Gunpowder, but it sounds as if it will be deleted without viewing.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I thought it was good, the gory bits were understated if anything. They were extremely sadistic in the way that 'heretics' were treated, both Catholic and Protestant could teach modern day religious nutters a thing or two about torture.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It was reviewed on Radio 4 yesterday and everyone on the programme HATED it. Gory pretentious twaddle apparently (didn't watch it myself).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep, way too graphic. I won't be watching part 2 but then I prefer Morse to Luther for similar reasons.

This, Morse was truly groundbreaking in it's time, slow moving and sometimes plodding and very non violent and 2 hours in one hit. But, once you sit through one you are usually hooked. Mind you the quality of the actors and the writing are superb.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This, Morse was truly groundbreaking in it's time, slow moving and sometimes plodding and very non violent and 2 hours in one hit. But, once you sit through one you are usually hooked. Mind you the quality of the actors and the writing are superb.
The books are good too, I suspect you’ve probably read them.

As for the TV series, John Thaw was so perfect for the role you couldn’t imagine any one else playing the part.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you don't like gore, peter James's detective novels, certainly the first 3 Roy grace books are horribly violent!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here