Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] RIP OFF - mobile phone companies

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I knew exactly when my two years or 18 months was up, and was on the phone to renegotiate.
People have a duty to themselves & not rely on companies to nurse them.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I knew exactly when my two years or 18 months was up, and was on the phone to renegotiate.
People have a duty to themselves & not rely on companies to nurse them.

Maybe but I'd argue the Phone companies are simply taking the pee. At the 2 year point your hand set is paid for. How can they justify continuing to charge for something you've already paid for?

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I knew the 3 network did this because it almost happened to me. You would think the phone companies would be obliged to remind you your 2 year contract is over, but no, they happily continue to charge the full amount.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41679408

Seems very hard to conclude anything but thieving bar stewards.

Yes EE did this to me too. Carried on paying full whack for 6 months longer than I should have been.

Still, they lost a customer that had been with them for years

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I would mind but received my new phone and the connectivity has deteriorated cannot get a signal at home or two pubs in Haywards Heath not very good who has the best network.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Don't know of any service provider that reminds you on expiry - they probably should be made to, though. It'll never be retroactive so no chance of it being a refund frenzy like PPI.

I've got my electricity, broadband (+ not even plugged in landline) and mobile on 30 day, post-expiry setups still solely because they're still cheapest but none of those had a subsidy element in - mobile was SIM only already.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hmmm, not sure they (CA) have this right. what cost of tariff are they assuming? because if you have a new iPhone 7 at ~650, a contract at £38 breaks down to £28 for the phone and only £10 for the tariff. or maybe its just the BBC poorly presenting the information. the top end phones are damn expensive, and for not much more cost to make than the tier below, so i've not alot of sympathy if people want to get the latest thing, rather than use devices that do the same job for half the price (or less) on a low price contract.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
hmmm, not sure they (CA) have this right. what cost of tariff are they assuming? because if you have a new iPhone 7 at ~650, a contract at £38 breaks down to £28 for the phone and only £10 for the tariff. or maybe its just the BBC poorly presenting the information. the top end phones are damn expensive, and for not much more cost to make than the tier below, so i've not alot of sympathy if people want to get the latest thing, rather than use devices that do the same job for half the price (or less) on a low price contract.

There is nearly always a SIM only tariff with the same features as the tariff that came with the 'free'/'subsidised' phone.

For my phone it cost me €140 to buy outright but the 18 month contract to get it 'free' was another €15 a month - and they'd not let me know when the 18 months was up which is what the hoo-haa is about here. Really the who "subsidy" system needs to be looked as as it would be cheaper to get a personal loan for the damn phone in most cases!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here