Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] US Grand Prix

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can Lewis wrap up the title this weekend, personally I think not.

Most interesting/best news is that Alonso is staying in F1 and with McLaren who will have Renault engines next year. They have the chassis, will having a very similar engine to Red Bull push them back as competitors at the front of the field? Alonso obviously thinks so.

This is a Live later in the day GP weekend on Channel 4 :thumbsup:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Hoping for a Lewis victory.Think it will be very amusing if Toro Rosso beat McLaren next season-apparently next season's motor is a stonker,finally.Wonder where Alonso will flounce off to then?Don't suppose Honda would be keen on him using their engines at Indy.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hoping for a Lewis victory.Think it will be very amusing if Toro Rosso beat McLaren next season-apparently next season's motor is a stonker,finally.Wonder where Alonso will flounce off to then?Don't suppose Honda would be keen on him using their engines at Indy.

It will be a shock all round as they will also be beating Red Bull, if what you say is right (although I haven't seen anything about Honda having a stonking engine for next year, link?).

I would be shocked if any of the teams have next year's engines up and running yet.

D

Deleted member 2719

Not sure i have seen Alonso doing any flouncing, i wonder how Lewis would have coped with a shite car under him...........Oh i think we know that.:tantrum::cry::tantrum:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not sure i have seen Alonso doing any flouncing, i wonder how Lewis would have coped with a shite car under him...........Oh i think we know that.:tantrum::cry::tantrum:

You didn’t notice his flounce from McLaren in his first spell there or his snidely digs when he was at Ferrari? He is apparently still the highest paid driver on the circuit, which must ease some of the pain of being a tail ender or non finisher most races.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It will be a shock all round as they will also be beating Red Bull, if what you say is right (although I haven't seen anything about Honda having a stonking engine for next year, link?).

I would be shocked if any of the teams have next year's engines up and running yet.

I would be shocked if any of the engine manufacturers have not already finished sourcing their up-graded parts for 2018.Friend of mine works in Honda MotoGP setup and is the source for gossip.You do know that the Winter tests start in just over 3 months time?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would be shocked if any of the engine manufacturers have not already finished sourcing their up-graded parts for 2018.Friend of mine works in Honda MotoGP setup and is the source for gossip.You do know that the Winter tests start in just over 3 months time?

I will follow this with interest then. I wondered where you were getting your info about Honda.

D

Deleted member 2719

You didn’t notice his flounce from McLaren in his first spell there or his snidely digs when he was at Ferrari? He is apparently still the highest paid driver on the circuit, which must ease some of the pain of being a tail ender or non finisher most races.

His first spell at Mclaren was some time ago 10 years, he was 26 years old.
Snidey remarks ??? no different to most F1 driver who are pumped up on adrenalin.

He may well be the highest paid but Alonso has had a lot of crap to deal with at Mclaren in his second spell and i am afraid when it comes to flouncing Lewis is the Queen at it.:p

Not sure how lewis would have coped with a car that struggles to make the top ten.:mad:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Barring engine failure etc I can't see any other winner than Hamilton. Depends on Vettel to "keep up".

Massive final lap by Vettel sees him start on the front row, Hamilton once again on pole.

Could be an interesting race this.

Will Hamilton "take the knee" during the Us anthem, does anyone care?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Bottas again failing to show he is real quality when Hamilton could have really done with a team mate between him and Vettel. I fear Vettel will be ruthless into the first corner as he knows that a Hamilton win will all but guarantee him the title so he might as well throw it into the first corner and roll the dice knowing that Hamilton will be desperate to avoid a DNF.

Can't wait for the race though, hopefully Lewis can get through the first corner and ze German will be taken out by Bottas/Verstappen

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I fear Vettel will be ruthless into the first corner as he knows that a Hamilton win will all but guarantee him the title so he might as well throw it into the first corner and roll the dice knowing that Hamilton will be desperate to avoid a DNF.
What? If you offered Hamilton the option of him and Vettel crashing out at the first corner, surely he'd take it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe Lewis will "allow" that to happen.
Hopefully he wouldn't try and cause it and risk point deduction (I know Vettel didn't get points deducted earlier, but his car is red), but there's no way he'd yield the place to Vettel. Against any other driver, yes, he'd want to avoid a DNF.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think LH will be reasonably happy to finish 2nd behind Vettel as the time and races are running out but in an ideal world we all want Vettel to pull up with engine problems and not finish.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would think LH will be reasonably happy to finish 2nd behind Vettel as the time and races are running out but in an ideal world we all want Vettel to pull up with engine problems and not finish.

He's a racer, no way will he be happy to finish behind Vettel, but I'm sure he'd take it. Can't see him deliberately having a coming together either.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He's a racer, no way will he be happy to finish behind Vettel, but I'm sure he'd take it. Can't see him deliberately having a coming together either.

that my thinking at midnight tonight he would say a good job well done.. Would he not win the title provided he is on the podium for the last 4 races with 1 of them being a 2nd.place

Watching a Daniel Ricciardo interview always makes me smile, what a character he is.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Good point that.

Maybe Lewis will "allow" that to happen.

But what if Lewis comes off worse (puncture) whereas Vettel just loses front end plate. Lewis would have to retire from the damage caused by dragging the car round for a lap on three wheels whereas Vettel may be able to wait until the first round of pitstops. Think allowing a crash would be risky for Hamilton as a DNF could let Seb back into the championship whereas Seb has little to loose as he is almost guaranteed not to win it anyway so can afford to be more reckless

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here