Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How happy are you with the Albion's start this season?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was reading in the Eastbourne Herald that Chris H has said that he's satisfied with how we've done so far although last Sunday's draw was disappointing. I'd agree with him completely. Therewas no shame in losing 2-0 to Man City and the Leicester game we looked like rabbits in headlights but we acquitted ourselves well against Watford and B'muff, we were okay in parts at Arsenal but our home form has been so superb. The West Brom, Newcastle and Everton games were tough but we gave a very good account of ourselves and as Hughton says, quite content to be where we are in the league. I'm hoping for our first away win tonight too.

Do you agree with Hughton?

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/s...oots-as-he-hunts-first-away-victory-1-8205209

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm happy with the performances - we're competing with the sides we need to.

I don't think our 8 points is just rewards though. To have taken just 2 points from Watford, Bournemouth and Everton - given how each game went - feels light.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
2-0 against City is looking like it could be an extra point on GD. We've not been disgraced in any games so far. Home form looks decent - had we of beaten Everton we'd have the 3rd most home points in the league after the 2 Manc clubs.

7/10 against 'expectations' but need to start winning a few more but confident it will come.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I was reading in the Eastbourne Herald that Chris H has said that he's satisfied with how we've done so far although last Sunday's draw was disappointing. I'd agree with him completely. Therewas no shame in losing 2-0 to Man City and the Leicester game we looked like rabbits in headlights but we acquitted ourselves well against Watford and B'muff, we were okay in parts at Arsenal but our home form has been so superb. The West Brom, Newcastle and Everton games were tough but we gave a very good account of ourselves and as Hughton says, quite content to be where we are in the league. I'm hoping for our first away win tonight too.

Do you agree with Hughton?

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/s...oots-as-he-hunts-first-away-victory-1-8205209
I think broadly he is right. I suspect that in practice we are just behind the curve if where we need to be. It is so tight that a win against Everton would I suspect have put us just ahead.

The loose logic here is that we maybe haven't played as many top teams yet as some of our rivals. If we can hold our position in the table through until early December some of this bias will work itself out.

We do potentially have a very tough finish to the season, hence we may need to build a buffer.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That reminds me, saw us described as "struggling" in a report on Monday. HARSH.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm pleased so far. We seem to be gaining confidence and have started to grow into the league as we have gone on, so the general trend is still up at the moment.

Also pleased that Ryan, Propper and Gross have already established themselves as part of the team.

Was also encouraged by Izquierdo's cameo against Everton, finally had a glimpse of what he really has to offer.

The only downside for me has been the forward line, an injured Baldock, not 100% Murray and a suspended Hemed has really hampered our ability to make the most of our performances so far.

An encouraging start that gives me reason to believe we can improve much further.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I think broadly he is right. I suspect that in practice we are just behind the curve if where we need to be. It is so tight that a win against Everton would I suspect have put us just ahead.

The loose logic here is that we maybe haven't played as many top teams yet as some of our rivals. If we can hold our position in the table through until early December some of this bias will work itself out.

We do potentially have a very tough finish to the season, hence we may need to build a buffer.

Saved me some typing! Agree 100%

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Disapointed with the the Bournemouth and Everton results, I think we should have 3 points more than we have, but we look like we can compete at this level and the start of the season has left me hopefully that we have a chance of staying up.

However it will still be a hige ask, hopefully a striker in January will add some depth to the squad and a couple more goals.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Doing and playing better than I expected us to. No complaints from me as I'm enjoying the season more than I thought I would. Hoping Brown and Baldock can have a positive influence upfront soon.

We seem to look for the win at home and settle for not being beaten away, I'd like us to be a little more adventurous away from home but accept that we could get stuffed if we opened up. Trust CH has to be the answer.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yeah, I am happy. We've competed in every game but have perhaps shown a bit of naivety in closing out games (Everton, Bournemouth, Watford).

I think, however, it does change a little bit on a game-by-game basis. Had we lost to Newcastle for example, I'd have been a bit disappointed with our start, had we beaten Everton, I'd have been delighted. Similarly tonight's game is a big one. Lose to West Ham and the start becomes a poor start, win and it's a good start. If we're on 11-14 by the end of Southampton in 2 weeks, I'd say that it's a good/excellent start to the season. If we're on 8, not so much.

I am very encouraged by how we're acquitting ourselves though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
s'alright.
m'appy

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Concerned.
Although better recently we are playing with nerves and as if we have the handbrake half on and still giving the ball away cheaply.
Our lack of a true goal scorer and our inability to get the ball up front with pace worries me.
Hoping that Hemed (and Murray) both prove me wrong though.
Impressed with Solly.
Would like to see Propper play where he plays for Holland.
Gross looks like a good buy.
I think we are a bit better than we think we are, if only we could relax and play our game.
As I said though I think we are slowly improving, happy not to be in the bottom 3.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pretty happy, a lot were expecting us to really struggle, now many (I’m hearing this all the time from the ‘big club’ fans at work) think we’re doing ok and better than they expected. Most of the decent game watchers have seen how solid we are at the back.

It’s so tight in the bottom half those extra two points we so nearly got against Everton would have made a big difference, and agree that we’re possibly marginally behind the curve as a result instead of marginally ahead. Win tonight and we’ll be ahead.

Also think we’re finding our feet at this level pretty quickly and looking more comfortable as each game goes by. If we can continue like we are through the next couple of months then add some firepower up front I we’ve got a great chance of surviving. CH knows home form is the key, and so far we’re looking good there.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am not disappointed with where we are but feel we have not capitalised on some good opportunities , based on the Everton, B,muff and Watford games we could have had an extra 5 points , that said I am sure there are many fans saying same thing about their club. We need to take at least 4 points from next two games though to keep on track.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
8 points is OK but I can’t stop thinking it should be at least 10 or possibly more.

V Watford should have won take a draw I suppose, v Muff Albion should have held on for at least a draw, Everton is was the worst of all the game where points were dropped, It should have been all 3 points.

Besides that the recruitment has been pretty fantastic. Gross especially, he will end up being the best signing of the Premier League season for any club. 2.5 million, what a steal.

Albion have yet to be blown away by a team and that speaks volumes for how well drilled they are. I think 6 points from the next 4 games would be a good return but I’m hoping for 7 or 8.

Season so far, 7 out of 10

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Our last visit to West Ham was a 6-0 capitulation. We really did just roll over that day.

We need to be competitive tonight to look like we have a chance of picking up points away from home. It won't be easy.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We look like we "belong" in this league, and I wasn't sure that would be the case. So I'm happy with that.

Points tally is respectable but I worry we may need more in the bank for periods in which we're up against top quality opposition and possibly lose two or three on the bounce.

I think I'll feel better once we clock up an away win. Could tonight be the night?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here