Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] It will be kicking off again in Catalonia soon

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
How to stir it up. Visited Catalan region a couple of months ago and then it was pretty anti-spanish. That was before the referendum fiasco. This is just pouring petrol on a smoking fire.

If I didn't know better, I'd think that this was the idea of the Spanish Govt to take away attention from their dire economic situation. :moo:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
How to stir it up. Visited Catalan region a couple of months ago and then it was pretty anti-spanish. That was before the referendum fiasco. This is just pouring petrol on a smoking fire.

If I didn't know better, I'd think that this was the idea of the Spanish Govt to take away attention from their dire economic situation. :moo:

I assume that you are implying that you do know better, and that therefore you think it isn't.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I dont even think its a manority that want independence , someone i know told me they are 100 % catalan and 100 % spanish.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Bunch of moronic crybabys.
You can't just secede from somewhere on a whim or I could have a vote saying I'd like my flat to be declared as an Independent nation. Has no legal standing though.
Then they spend weeks blubbing about suppression.

WHATEVER.

In the days before revolving 24 hour news, the Spanish military would have moved in months ago and put an end to this. Not endorsing that course of action: just stating a fact.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
If they had allowed a legal referendum, almost inevitably it would have resulted in a no, as polling showed pre-referendum a majority of 60/40 in favour or remaining part of Spain. This would then have decided the matter for a generation. By insisting on no dialogue and imposing direct rule, that 60% is likely to go down rather than up. Spain is storing up a lot of problems for the future by this course of action IMO

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You can't just secede from somewhere on a whim or I could have a vote saying I'd like my flat to be declared as an Independent nation. Has no legal standing though.
Then they spend weeks blubbing about suppression.

WHATEVER.

Just to confirm, you're saying you can't have a non-binding referendum about independence?

Interesting...

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
WHATEVER.

In the days before revolving 24 hour news, the Spanish military would have moved in months ago and put an end to this. Not endorsing that course of action: just stating a fact.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any understanding of recent Spanish history - they only stopped being a dictatorship 40 years ago!!! So sending the army in would have made matters much worse. The Spanish govt could have managed this whole situation much better by engaging earlier rather than putting their head in the sand

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If they had allowed a legal referendum, almost inevitably it would have resulted in a no, as polling showed pre-referendum a majority of 60/40 in favour or remaining part of Spain. This would then have decided the matter for a generation. By insisting on no dialogue and imposing direct rule, that 60% is likely to go down rather than up. Spain is storing up a lot of problems for the future by this course of action IMO

Yes, I see what you are saying. The referendum did show 90% in favour, but then, if all figures can be believed, only 43% of eligible voters bothered, and one could safely assume that most of the other 57% would have voted -no. Given that this is presumably the scenario, why doesn't the Spanish Government endorse democracy and agree to a proper referendum, which is likely to give them an outcome they want. Repression usually drives folk into a corner. That to my mind makes sense, but I don't pretend to know that much about it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I actually have a lot of sympathy for the Catalans. The Spanish government has tackled this issue in an utterly idiotic way. The vote was so pro-independence because of the boycott by anti-independence voters. What the Spanish government should have done was to allow a non-binding vote to go ahead. Instead they have sent in thugs to beat up normal citizens and have now imprisoned elected leaders without trial. It's almost as though Franco / Hitler have come back to life.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
WHATEVER.

In the days before revolving 24 hour news, the Spanish military would have moved in months ago and put an end to this. Not endorsing that course of action: just stating a fact.

Do you have any understanding of recent Spanish history - they only stopped being a dictatorship 40 years ago!!! So sending the army in would have made matters much worse. The Spanish govt could have managed this whole situation much better by engaging earlier rather than putting their head in the sand[/QUOTE]

What’s the point of engaging when 1 side wants independence, nothing less. And the other the complete opposite? It’s like that overused phrase “let’s have a debate...” when everyone who’s honestly involved knows prevailing views are entrenched. Just like Brexit. Nope, sometimes the only option is to ‘Harry Hill’ it out. ‘Tis the oldest form of negotiation since Adam was a lad. What Catalonia leaders are doing amounts to revolution and sedition. Not independence, that’s just the liberal word for it. Not surprised Spain’s sending in the troops. Imagine if Crawley just fecked off and joined Surrey overnight with no due Democratic process? Hmmmmm, yes, just imagine.... :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I actually have a lot of sympathy for the Catalans. The Spanish government has tackled this issue in an utterly idiotic way. The vote was so pro-independence because of the boycott by anti-independence voters. What the Spanish government should have done was to allow a non-binding vote to go ahead. Instead they have sent in thugs to beat up normal citizens and have now imprisoned elected leaders without trial. It's almost as though Franco / Hitler have come back to life.

Ridiculous thing to say, it’s nothing like Hitler or Franco.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If they had allowed a legal referendum, almost inevitably it would have resulted in a no, as polling showed pre-referendum a majority of 60/40 in favour or remaining part of Spain. This would then have decided the matter for a generation.
Just to be clear, a generation is about 5 years, right?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Utter, utter rubbish - Pete Griffin did in Family Guy

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I will be kicking off later for sure; when the currently Barcelona based Frau Tubthumper gets stuck into the Sangria.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
What’s the point of engaging when 1 side wants independence, nothing less. And the other the complete opposite? It’s like that overused phrase “let’s have a debate...” when everyone who’s honestly involved knows prevailing views are entrenched. Just like Brexit. Nope, sometimes the only option is to ‘Harry Hill’ it out. ‘Tis the oldest form of negotiation since Adam was a lad. What Catalonia leaders are doing amounts to revolution and sedition. Not independence, that’s just the liberal word for it. Not surprised Spain’s sending in the troops. Imagine if Crawley just fecked off and joined Surrey overnight with no due Democratic process? Hmmmmm, yes, just imagine.... :)

What a complete load of b0ll0cks.

Catalan was a separate nation for hundreds of years. They have their own language and culture totally different to Spanish. Their language was BANNED until 40 years ago. Jail or death for just speaking it.

They have been an independent nation in history.

Crawley hasn't.

Ignorant post assuming you know what you are talking about when obviously you don't.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Ridiculous thing to say, it’s nothing like Hitler or Franco.

Thats right, nothing like them to send in the Police to stop a referendum and stop a free voice.

Oh, er, that's what they did.... All of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here