Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Banter - just an excuse for otherwise socially unacceptable behaviour

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Surely the unavoidable conclusion from today's parliamentary committee meeting with Eni Aluko and the FA.
The latter come across as little more than mindless louts.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Surely the unavoidable outcome of today's parliamentary committee meeting with Enough Aluko and the FA.
The latter come across as little more than mindless louts.

Fully agree with the statement about the FA, but they join a long list, such as the church NHS etc who do their utmost to protect their own. Unfortunate, but this is what happens in life, until these organisations are faced with the eventual unavoidable truth, in which case, lessons are learnt . .It will always go on -perhaps you too have backed up a colleague even though you knew he/she was wrong, albeit on a very minor scale. I bet others reading this will have.
I do hope that banter is seen for what it is - harmless fun, as long as all see it like that - but suspect that the permanently outraged internet warriors will force some sort of OTT drastic "solution".

Could you kindly settle for good old offended?

I never quite know on who's behalf I'm being offended for.

So I have decided to be outraged in this instance, until such time as a large one enlightens me.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I'd imagine even in the military there is a line not to be crossed

No in my time ( left in 2008 after 30 years) always an unwritten rule, if you cant take it dont give it.....Im afraid the world is just to soft and PC now......open to to many moaners.....Im not saying the events at the FA are right or wrong Im commenting on 'banter'

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
No in my time ( left in 2008 after 30 years) always an unwritten rule, if you cant take it dont give it.....Im afraid the world is just to soft and PC now......open to to many moaners.....Im not saying the events at the FA are right or wrong Im commenting on 'banter'

So if someone has never "given it" they can expect to be recused from having to "take it"?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
If I had a mate or work colleague that had been on business to Nigeria during the Ebola virus crisis, and I remarked to him " You best not have brought back any of that ebola with you" I highly doubt any offence would be taken.

The fact that this is classed as a racist joke is pathetic in my view. Yes, making that joke to Aluko in relation to her family was not wise, it isn't racist. The FA should have given him a verbal warning in relation to silly comments and that might have nipped it in the bud.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There is a fine line between banter & bullying.

In the forces, you have to work as a team, so you know the others well and how far you can go.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Military is 3 services

Army - Soldiers
RAF - Airmen
Royal Navy - Seamen / sailors

Not all military are soldiers....
Fair point, every soilder I've come in contact with has been a thick as shit c***.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
that's a really shitty thing to say.
Not really, its true.

Got my teeth knocked down my throat by a group of them years ago unprovoked, knew one that was racist and met another on a night out that was trying to start fights with everybody.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
What is most worrying is the way the line keeps creeping imperceptibly forward. What was acceptable yesterday will cause offence tomorrow. I don’t generally have a problem with this. Society evolves, values change. Once upon a time I felt superior to racists, male chauvinist pigs and apologists for an outdated unaccountable establishment. Today I instinctively see the value of tradition, the wisdom of middle-age and the tragedy of common sense being eroded by the baleful influence of the snowflake generation.

That is my immediate (emotional?) response but, on reflection, I can appreciate thati it is me who is struggling to find the energy to adapt. Just like I once leapt out of bed to face the day, I now have to sit down to put my socks on. What was once easy is now bloody hard work.

Anyway, all of this is as it should be. I am the problem. However, what really worries me is that what I do today may be judged by the values of tomorrow. And if that insidious line has crept too far I will be unjustifiably found guilty for something that would have been laughed out of court today. From the outside looking in and unburdened by facts or details to support this argument, I really do sense that an ever-increasing number of people leading ordinary lives are being caught in this pernicious trap.

Mind you, one of the universities I work with has replaced M/F with 15 different gender identities. WTF?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here