Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Long awaited returns

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
With the return of Baldock and Kayal in the recent U23 match, what options and tactics do you think CH will be discussing with his team?

Playing 2 up top? Baldock is hardly a target man, but the intelligence and threat of his runs can't be underestimated!

Would a fit Kayal force his way into midfield? Still for me our most dynamic midfielder.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
With the return of Baldock and Kayal in the recent U23 match, what options and tactics do you think CH will be discussing with his team?

Playing 2 up top? Baldock is hardly a target man, but the intelligence and threat of his runs can't be underestimated!

Would a fit Kayal force his way into midfield?

I dont think anything will change, however the strengh of our squad will greatly improve.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Would like to see Baldock playing in front of Gross. I reckon his intelligent runs combined with Gross's creativity could get us a few goals

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Baldock will be considered for the bench as an option up front and Kayal will occasionally make the bench as a midfield option barring injury or suspension to Stephens or Propper in which case Izzy Brown would come in. What it does do is push Skalak further down the list and also possibly Murphy. He may of course ditch the target man and play Baldock in the same role as Izzy played against Arsenal.

Last edited:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Would like to see Baldock playing in front of Gross. I reckon his intelligent runs combined with Gross's creativity could get us a few goals

You have to say, there is definitely potential there! But how do you fit Baldock in, thats the question for me?

Last edited:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I'd play Murray and Baldock upfront to utilise Dunk's quality long balls when we're turning defence into attack. I'd move Gross into midfield with Propper alongside him which should mean we'll be a much better passing team in the middle.

Not a bad bench if we have Kayal and Stephens as options if we ever need to change things around too.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
You have to say, there is definitely potential there! But how do you fit Baldock in, that the question for me?

I'm guessing the way is to drop March/Knocky and play with less out-and-out width, but with more running in the channels (moving from a 4231 to something more like a 4222). Certainly offers something different tactically. I'm also looking forward to Hemed's return for teh same reason.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

The problem with that I see is we'd be very poor at winning anything in the air. Having wingers like Knockaert and March would seem like a waste if there's no physical presence in the box.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
The problem with that I see is we'd be very poor at winning anything in the air. Having wingers like Knockaert and March would seem like a waste if there's no physical presence in the box.

This is true, but I can see it working away from home perhaps, when we are looking to stretch teams on the break. Knocky and March are more than capable of coming inside and looking for a pass/shot instead of a cross as well

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is also Izquierdo waiting in the wings and having spent a fortune, for us, on him I cannot see them leaving him on the bench for too long. I think there is a possibility that we will go for 3-5-2

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
This is true, but I can see it working away from home perhaps, when we are looking to stretch teams on the break. Knocky and March are more than capable of coming inside and looking for a pass/shot instead of a cross as well

If we were to play the tactics you've suggested, then maybe Izquierdo would be the man to start on the left wing and play March on the right dropping AK.

We'd certainly be quick on the break that way and both wingers would be very effective at cutting in and having a shot.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I'm guessing the way is to drop March/Knocky and play with less out-and-out width, but with more running in the channels (moving from a 4231 to something more like a 4222). Certainly offers something different tactically. I'm also looking forward to Hemed's return for teh same reason.

So the wingers coming inside a little more and closer to the fullbacks?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
There is also Izquierdo waiting in the wings and having spent a fortune, for us, on him I cannot see them leaving him on the bench for too long. I think there is a possibility that we will go for 3-5-2

If we stay up without every playing Izquierdo again I think the season would be viewed a massive success financially etc.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My preferred team would be

Ryan
Duffy.....Dunk......Hunemier
Schelotto...Stephens...Propper,..Gross..March/Izquierdo
Baldock...Murray​

Possibly the back 3 Goldson...Duffy...Dunk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It's fairly safe to say anything different away from home ought to improve things, with the forward line, esp if they're encouraged to play a little more forward.

Someone more astute than me said v Arsenal 'we picked a team with pace then didn't use any'.
Having a Baldock type player through the middle fits the last piece into the Jose/Solly/AK counterattacking jigsaw.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
So the wingers coming inside a little more and closer to the fullbacks?

Yeah basically. The reason I say that is that I reckon Gross is practically undroppable at the moment, and offers (amongst other things!) fantastic movement to both wings.

[tweet]919580096079515649[/tweet]

Here are our average positions (and passing) for the Everton game. The back for and two midfielders played textbook lines. Gross was, on average, more advanced than Murray and also more mobile - this isn't a slight on Muzza, they had different jobs obviously. If you replaced March (for example) with Baldock you'd expect him to be slightly more advanced and central, and for Gross to be slightly withdrawn to mitigate against it. Just a hunch though, and I reckon more than anything it's something of a 'Plan B' if we're in a match where Solly and Knocky aren't able to be as effective as they'd like.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]919580096079515649[/tweet]
Nuts, I'd love to see the representation of the Albion v Arsenal, but google won't cough it up, any help?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here