Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Liar (TV Programmme) - spoiler

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I cannot find a thread on this which surprises me.

First five episodes were well constructed with the earlier ones leaving me guessing which person to side with.

Final episode was poor though.

Firstly having got the address of his Mother by fluke, how did she know it was his mother and that he had something stored there?

Secondly, would they just let her rummage in the shed unsupervised?

Thirdly, I assume the woman in the house was phoning him. Hopefully she called his landline because his mobile had been stolen.

Lastly, would what she found be admissible in Court?

As they announced at the end there is more to come, maybe that answers some of the above but I was left very disappointed.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Totally

First five episodes were well constructed with the earlier ones leaving me guessing which person to side with.

Firstly having got the address of his Mother by fluke, how did she know it was his mother and that he had something stored there?

Thirdly, I assume the woman in the house was phoning him. Hopefully she called his landline because his mobile had been stolen.

As they announced at the end there is more to come, maybe that answers some of the above but I was left very disappointed.
Totally agree. A cracking first 5 episodes, truly fabulous scenery (the kayak shots from the air were superb... Essex coast evidently) and wonderfully acted. Then bloop! Terrible ending... should have finished then and there not a prelude for series 2. The way she got into his 'goodies' shed was completely laughable and impossible.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Agree the last episode dropped in quality, but for slightly different reasons.

Her suspicion of something being stored there was based on the text off his nicked phone, but yeah I agree it's a stretch, especially given how careful he was in covering his tracks otherwise. And I agree that they wouldn't have just let her rummage in the shed. Plus I figured the reason that he locked it was that he was the only one with a key, so was surprised when the carer (I presume she was a carer?) had one.

The old cop reckoned that it was admissable given that she was invited in and given permission to rummage; well maybe.

What really disapointed more me was firstly that they didn't take advantage of opportunities to ratchet up the tension at the end, either by getting him to turn up at the house while she was looking, by keeping the honeytrap cop at his house longer, or by making him twig earlier on that they were on the case. Struck me as poor writing.

Secondly the fact that it's been left as this cliffhanger of sorts - who killed him? The answer is that I don't particularly care. They should have shown Jill Halfpenny as the guilty party and left it at that.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Good plot let down by shit acting and a shit ending.

The text from the carer said something like "come get your stuff" I'll need to re watch it to be sure but that's why she went over. Not knowing it was his mothers. She was then led to the shed and left unsupervised. I'd not be so trusting.

If you lose a phone, you can swap the number to a new SIM, this can be done in a couple hours.

I said to the wench, it won't be admissible in court (she works in LAW) but before she answered, the old man cop said as they let you in the house and led you to the shed it's not stolen evidence. They gave it to her.

I think the lesbian cop's amy wife done it.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The way that cop fannied around before syringing his wine really really slowly annoyed me as well.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Lumped in here
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?356243-Doctor-Foster/page6&highlight=motors+foster

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree it was a very disappointing ending. Not as disappointing as LOST obviously but poor nonetheless.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
What irked me about Liar was that the producers had virtually every PC base covered.

The villain was a white man. The first victim was a woman. A white woman did the dirty on a black man. The principal police officer (and subsequent victim of the aforesaid evil white man) was an Asian lesbian. Every second person in the drama was BME, despite the fact that Dover & Thanet (where the series was set, and an area that I know well) is, according to the last census, 99.5% White British by population.

When a drama is driven by a political agenda, the storyline is secondary.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
The series was correctly called after Episode 1 or 2 by Rod Liddle (yes I know). Who said that in the UK in 2017, the only permissible outcome was that the bloke would be the liar. And so it proved.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The thing that annoyed me most was the plotline of a semi fit bird being sat at a hotel bar on her Jack Jones. As someone who has stayed in numerous hotels over the years with work, this is never, ever the case unless they are brasses. If matey boy with the beard was an experienced traveller, his first question who have been along the lines of 'How much' Imagine what that would have done to the Glenn Close type characters mental well being.

The undercover Rozzer was shithouse as well. She should retrain to the front desk

Oh and Gill Halfpenny did it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It started off well then lost it's way. It was 3 episodes too long for a start. Secondly, they should not have revealed until the very end that he was a serial rapist so that you were kept guessing who was the liar OR she needed to start a relationship with Ian (or whatever his name is) and then accuse him of rape too, then they would both be liars (but that would upset rather a lot of people I suspect). Why we need another series is the biggest mystery as no-one cares who killed him, nor do we particular care about her relationship with her sister.

It was a good concept but, as seems to be the modern trend, was dragged out far too much.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The thing that annoyed me most was the plotline of a semi fit bird being sat at a hotel bar on her Jack Jones. As someone who has stayed in numerous hotels over the years with work, this is never, ever the case unless they are brasses. If matey boy with the beard was an experienced traveller, his first question who have been along the lines of 'How much' Imagine what that would have done to the Glenn Close type characters mental well being.

The undercover Rozzer was shithouse as well. She should retrain to the front desk

Oh and Gill Halfpenny did it.

My money is on matey boy with the beard and as a complete outsider.....his son.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why we need a second series I've no idea.

However the way that TV execs go I fully expect both David Tennant and Olivia Coleman to move along the coast to investigate the death, and even possibly Martin Compston Vicky McClure and Adrian Dunbar joining the series (and swapping channels) after serving Police Officers are implicated in the death.

A good idea for a series but overall let down by too many 'that wouldn't happen' moments and a very poor ending

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Why we need a second series I've no idea.

However the way that TV execs go I fully expect both David Tennant and Olivia Coleman to move along the coast to investigate the death, and even possibly Martin Compston Vicky McClure and Adrian Dunbar joining the series (and swapping channels) after serving Police Officers are implicated in the death.

A good idea for a series but overall let down by too many 'that wouldn't happen' moments and a very poor ending

Don't **** with AC12

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
It started off well then lost it's way. It was 3 episodes too long for a start. Secondly, they should not have revealed until the very end that he was a serial rapist so that you were kept guessing who was the liar OR she needed to start a relationship with Ian (or whatever his name is) and then accuse him of rape too, then they would both be liars (but that would upset rather a lot of people I suspect). Why we need another series is the biggest mystery as no-one cares who killed him, nor do we particular care about her relationship with her sister.

It was a good concept but, as seems to be the modern trend, was dragged out far too much.

I agree on not revealing who the liar was. It's a bit like those horror films where the tension/fear is brilliant until the monster is unveiled and then the whole thing becomes a bit 'meh'

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A series that started brightly but then got progressive worse just at the time where I'd invested enough time to have to see it out to the bitter end.

My problem with this series is that from Episode 1 the raped girl came across as a nutter while the rapist initially came across as wronged. Therefore, your natural sympathies were with him for the first 2 or 3 episodes. I found it hard to side with the raped girl after that.

And are we supposed to be pleased that the rapist ended up with his throat cut? He was a low life so why would we be bothered that he's dead? Whoever did it had a good motive so why would we want them to face justice? There's no point in having a second series.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think the next series is going to be a prequel - I assume it will be about what happened to his wife and also her previous sexual harassment case.

It was a rubbish ending which was a real shame as it had been a great series and I thought revealing the liar half way through the series was a good idea as it wasn't really about that to me as it was it was obviously going to be him. This was correct in my opinion as although it is a drama, I don't believe there's any way they could have put such a high profile program out depicting her as the liar and then demonising the character when it is so well documented how hard it already is to get women who have been raped/abused to come forward.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here