Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Spurs new stadium - will it be ready ??

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But that's exactly what we did! I distinctly remember that in the summer of 1998 the club sold season tickets on the understanding that only the first few matches would be at Gillingham.

It was, I remember the second season being sold the season ticket on the basis of the second half being at Withdean.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-saved-brighton-to-share-new-den-1252462.html

"Although we shall start the season playing at Gillingham, the overwhelming majority of our fans would prefer us to ground share with Millwall and we will be applying to the League to make the switch as soon as it is possible. This whole process will prove quite costly but we believe it's worth it because we want to play at Millwall."

The outgoing chairman, Bill Archer, confirmed that he would be staying on the board once he has handed over the reins to Knight and pledged a massive cash injection of his own. He said: "I have put in pounds 500,000 for the bond and I intend to add another pounds 1.5m to help take the club into the new millennium (ho ho ho). "We have three years to build a new stadium and we have put in a planning application to both the league and the local council and we hope to complete our objective."

So the plan was initially a case of starting off at Gillingham, then moving to Millwall over 3 seasons. Nothing about Withdean at this stage, obviously the Millwall plan subsequently fell through, so Withdean Plan B kicked in. But I don't recall it being sold to us on the basis of it being anything less than 2 years away from Brighton.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-saved-brighton-to-share-new-den-1252462.html

"Although we shall start the season playing at Gillingham, the overwhelming majority of our fans would prefer us to ground share with Millwall and we will be applying to the League to make the switch as soon as it is possible. This whole process will prove quite costly but we believe it's worth it because we want to play at Millwall."

The outgoing chairman, Bill Archer, confirmed that he would be staying on the board once he has handed over the reins to Knight and pledged a massive cash injection of his own. He said: "I have put in pounds 500,000 for the bond and I intend to add another pounds 1.5m to help take the club into the new millennium (ho ho ho). "We have three years to build a new stadium and we have put in a planning application to both the league and the local council and we hope to complete our objective."

So the plan was initially a case of starting off at Gillingham, then moving to Millwall over 3 seasons. Nothing about Withdean at this stage, obviously the Millwall plan subsequently fell through, so Withdean Plan B kicked in. But I don't recall it being sold to us on the basis of it being anything less than 2 years away from Brighton.

Did Archer actually attend any games after Knight took over? Considering he was still on the board? If he did why didn't anyone the knock the c*$t out!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did Archer actually attend any games after Knight took over? Considering he was still on the board? If he did why didn't anyone the knock the c*$t out!

Archer barely attended any games BEFORE Knight took over. I certainly don't recall him ever making any appearances at the Goldstone once we knew he'd sold us down the river. His sock-puppet Belotti was the c**t there on his behalf.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wensleydale Stephens.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I can assure you the plan for the second season was to move back to Withdean before the season ended.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/5168501.no-withdean-this-season/

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can assure you the plan for the second season was to move back to Withdean before the season ended.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/5168501.no-withdean-this-season/

Fair enough. But March 27th is very much the fag-end of the season though, hardly halfway through. There would only have been a handful of home games left anyway, so I can't really see that this compares with the Spurs fiasco of (having actually sold tickets for it) - "we start in our new stadium in August...no September...no wait, October...hang on, Christmas, oh maybe the New Year........oh f**k it, watch this space" scenario. It was certainly never that.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fair enough. But March 27th is very much the fag-end of the season though, hardly halfway through. There would only have been a handful of home games left anyway, so I can't really see that this compares with the Spurs fiasco of (having actually sold tickets for it) - "we start in our new stadium in August...no September...no wait, October...hang on, Christmas, oh maybe the New Year........oh f**k it, watch this space" scenario. It was certainly never that.

And Spurs have refunded those games - 1/19th for every game - Its really not a big deal.

Its a major build, things go wrong - hasn't really affected anything.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And Spurs have refunded those games - 1/19th for every game - Its really not a big deal.

Its a major build, things go wrong - hasn't really affected anything.

Well, it affected the 2 scheduled NFL games that had to be binned off to alternate venues. And its affected all the fans who had bought tickets / season tickets to the new stadium in good faith, only to find that they had a choice of either continuing to yomp up to Wembley, or apply for a refund. You could perhaps accept that a couple of games might need to be switched, but its now looking quite likely that the entire season will play out at Wembley. Not a big deal ?

All will be well in the end when they eventually move in of course. But if you think its not a big deal, you clearly haven't been across the Spurs messageboards on the subject.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well, it affected the 2 scheduled NFL games that had to be binned off to alternate venues. And its affected all the fans who had bought tickets / season tickets to the new stadium in good faith, only to find that they had a choice of either continuing to yomp up to Wembley, or apply for a refund. You could perhaps accept that a couple of games might need to be switched, but its now looking quite likely that the entire season will play out at Wembley. Not a big deal ?

All will be well in the end when they eventually move in of course. But if you think its not a big deal, you clearly haven't been across the Spurs messageboards on the subject.

I dont think many fans really care about the NFL and its affected the club so badly they are playing 2 games at the new ground next season with the potential of having Oakland raiders play a whole season.

You seem to be more annoyed about it than season ticket holders to be honest, Ive just got a refund for every game so far as I dont really want to go to Wembley - but that is my choice.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I dont think many fans really care about the NFL and its affected the club so badly they are playing 2 games at the new ground next season with the potential of having Oakland raiders play a whole season.

You seem to be more annoyed about it than season ticket holders to be honest, Ive just got a refund for every game so far as I dont really want to go to Wembley - but that is my choice.

As I've said before, its no skin off my nose, I'm just an interested observer rubbernecking the car crash. You seem fairly blasé about the situation, which is fine, but there are plenty of Spurs fans who are furious not just with the unending delays (which as you've said can easily happen on large builds), but primarily about the lack of transparency from the club last year when they were still selling the tickets whilst knowing it had no chance of being ready. They feel they were being lied to, and that has caused an awful lot of ill feeling and rancour, which I think is understandable.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As I've said before, its no skin off my nose, I'm just an interested observer rubbernecking the car crash. You seem fairly blasé about the situation, which is fine, but there are plenty of Spurs fans who are furious not just with the unending delays (which as you've said can easily happen on large builds), but primarily about the lack of transparency from the club last year when they were still selling the tickets whilst knowing it had no chance of being ready. That has caused an awful lot of ill feeling and rancour, which I think is understandable.

Car Crash?

There are plenty that are of my mind set - the loudest ones are always the ones moaning. ,

I am certain the club did know earlier than they let on, I am equally certain its not when I renewed last year - that would have been leaked by someone.

The only thing I am annoyed about is the pricing structure for Wembley.

I personally dont think we should go back to the Super Lane this season, but I can see the benefits of doing so.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here