Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert .... Team Player?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
To be clear I think AK is a good player with the potential to be a great player.

That said, I have a significant concern that there are issues around his impact on the team. There have been many examples of togetherness from the squad towards him and AK whipping up the fans to get behind the team but all too often you see him chipping away at players that haven't passed to him or just generally throwing his arms in the air?

Add to this CH's comments post match when speaking about AK he said he needs to work on his "team game" or something similar?

I'm just wondering if it impacts on other players such as Solly etc, Solly doesn't run with the ball as much, is this because he fears criticism or am I reading far too much into this?

What are your views on AK?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I think that given the last 12 months there is no player in the squad who understands the value of togetherness more than AK. he's a skillfull, flair player, they're meant to want the ball and sometimes be a little self indulgent. Let him get on with it.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I think AK will always be a player that wants the ball and tries to hang on to it for as long as possible because he wants to be involved in the game. He clearly doesn't try to hide his emotions and frustration on the pitch, but I think it comes from his desire to do well.

I get the impression that he's been putting pressure on himself to perform (especially with competition for the wide positions) and hopefully getting his first goal will help calm him down a bit. I think he's shown in the last year or so that he loves the club and his team mates and you might be reading too much into it.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
He is worth the entrance money alone to watch when he is on his A game.
My only criticism this season is that he doesn’t track back enough to help his full back out, especially yesterday at times, which Solly does most times

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Took one for the team yesterday , when they caught us on the break and he was the one chasing back to clip the players ankles .

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He is worth the entrance money alone to watch when he is on his A game.
My only criticism this season is that he doesn’t track back enough to help his full back out, especially yesterday at times, which Solly does most times

It is funny, I thought he generally did yesterday, much more than he did against Newcastle. In that game, he left Bruno isolated a few times, which I think may have been part of the reason he was dropped for Arsenal. However, I thought he was better yesterday

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He chases back and celebrates his team mates scoring like it was him. He IS a team player. We know he has the magic.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
On a slightly different tack because he was an out and striker,
Peter Ward jumped more tackles and pulled out of more challenges than any player I’ve seen wear the stripes.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He can be a bit selfish on the ball at times but he can produce moments of magic out of nothing and inspire us when nothing else seems to be working. Definitely a team player in my book. Just a bit frustrating at times, take yesterday pretty anonymous for 70 minutes but then sprung into life and very unlucky not to score 2. Having said that if he was consistent he would be playing for one of the top teams.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Add to this CH's comments post match when speaking about AK he said he needs to work on his "team game" or something similar?

Well he did say that but you're implying something thats not there. CH's comments actually were a rather bland. He has to step up in the Premier League because its harder. He certainly wasn't singling him out ("same as everyone else") or saying his team work was lacking compared to others. Even called his tackle at the end a "professional foul".

"At a higher level, he's got to be better, his team work has got to be better, exactly the same as everyone else.' (from around 2.00)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05k0s4t

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is funny, I thought he generally did yesterday, much more than he did against Newcastle. In that game, he left Bruno isolated a few times, which I think may have been part of the reason he was dropped for Arsenal. However, I thought he was better yesterday

This for me - did far more defensively than he has in any other game this season.

He can be a petulant sod with all sorts of arm waving etc when things don’t go his way (or someone doesn’t pass to him).....because he cares so much, and wants to do everything himself. His decision making is improving gradually.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
To be clear I think AK is a good player with the potential to be a great player.

That said, I have a significant concern that there are issues around his impact on the team. There have been many examples of togetherness from the squad towards him and AK whipping up the fans to get behind the team but all too often you see him chipping away at players that haven't passed to him or just generally throwing his arms in the air?

I'm just wondering if it impacts on other players such as Solly etc, Solly doesn't run with the ball as much, is this because he fears criticism or am I reading far too much into this?

What are your views on AK?

Love him when he's on his A game. However, I think there is a petulant child aspect to his persona and coupled with not being consistent enough is the reason he's not been plying his trade at the top level for a number of years.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
He is 100% someone who plays for the team. His ability to play as part of the team and how he contributes when he doesn't have the ball can sometimes be questioned.

But if he didn't have the self belief or maverick tendencies then he wouldn't be the player he is or be capable of the things he does.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Agree with most of the above, but would add:

He comes inside too often, which then causes problems when likes of Bruno have the ball as options are suddenly restricted. Should stay wide. Without a right back as competent as Bruno we'd be seriously compromised.

This also means Gross has to work incredibly hard to often offer that option on the flank. he shouldn't be expected to do that and in this respect, selfish from AK. But fair play to Gross for that work ethic - he does work harder than most of the league.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No issues.

He tried so hard yesterday and it wasn't particularly happening for him. They were doubling up on him though and most the time he got the ball first half he was so deep so couldn't influence the game like he can.

Glad he got the goal though. Takes somne pressure off him that was building a bit.

Should be all the better for that.

We've got Knockaert !!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No doubt a team – and brilliant – player, but yesterday, on the odd occasion, it looked like he couldn't be bothered. Maybe he was knackered, maybe he was frustrated, but he definitely dipped a few times. There was one occasion where the ball was flicked on by Murray and AK was just rooted to the spot. Even if ultimately he couldn't make it to the ball, he didn't even pre-empt the move to make the run.

Like I say, I love him and I'm lucky enough to have a great view of his skill up close to the front of the East Stand, but yesterday there were a few moments where I was wishing him to move a bit more.

(Re-reading this back, it's probably hyper-critical, but they are probably the standards we've come to expect. Thought his passing game was a lot better yesterday).

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
.... and that's my point, he does "appear" to bend everyone else's ear when they don't do what he wants but others seem to do a lot of covering for him, at times. Agree also when he's on his A game he a pleasure to watch. Felt a couple of times yesterday he got caught when trying to sprint away with the ball something he seemed more than capable of last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here