Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] any other "squad number pedants" out there?

Oct 25, 2003
I have a real obsession with players having the "correct" squad number for their position if they have a number between 1-11

1: Goalkeeper
2. Right Back
3. Left Back
4. Defensively minded central midfielder or perhaps a centre back
5. Centre Back
6. Centre Back- perhaps a defensive midfielder
7. Right Midfielder
8. Central midfielder- preferably your midfield GENERAL
9. Big centre forward
10. Smaller centre forward/attacking midfielder
11. Left Midfielder

anything outside of this is OBNOXIOUS so with that in mind was anyone else FUMING at Morgan thingy in the Everton midfield wearing NUMBER ****ING TWO

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If I saw a goalkeeper wearing a number 4 shirt I would find it strange :smile:
Can't say I took much notice of the numbers on the Everton players backs though, but as someone that started watching football in the 70s, I take your point.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'd quibble with the OP - surely if we're being traditional, the second striker should be 8 (e.g. Allan Clarke at Leeds) and the midfield general 10 (Johnny Giles)? That said, John Hurst, the Everton central defender in the late 60s, always wore number ten, so even then there were aberrations.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have a real obsession with players having the "correct" squad number for their position if they have a number between 1-11

2. Right Back
3. Left Back
5. Centre Back
7. Right Midfielder
9. Big centre forward
11. Left Midfielder

anything outside of this is OBNOXIOUS so with that in mind was anyone else FUMING at Morgan thingy in the Everton midfield wearing NUMBER ****ING TWO

the fact you have a couple of ambiguous numbers in there isn't a good foundation for insisting there should be some order. past 1, 9 & 10 for best forwards, i dont think numbers have held much consistency for over a generation.

Oct 25, 2003
I'd quibble with the OP - surely if we're being traditional, the second striker should be 8 (e.g. Allan Clarke at Leeds) and the midfield general 10 (Johnny Giles)? That said, John Hurst, the Everton central defender in the late 60s, always wore number ten, so even then there were aberrations.

but surely the 'second striker' role is traditionally known as the 'number 10' role? I admit there can be variations in it- mostly from personal preference of players. However, being number 2 as anything other than a right back is a DISGRACE

Oct 25, 2003
the fact you have a couple of ambiguous numbers in there isn't a good foundation for insisting there should be some order. past 1, 9 & 10 for best forwards, i dont think numbers have held much consistency for over a generation.

those two are quite interchangeable I'll give you that- but I do think squad numbers generally do still follow a format (1-11 anyway), and so they should

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Isn't there a bit of a thing for describing positions by a number at the moment in world football...? The OP would approve.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Always upset me a bit that Zidane had the number 5 at Madrid. Surely a mismatch between player and number if ever there was one.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

2. Right Back
3. Left Back
5. Centre Back
7. Right Midfielder
9. Big centre forward
11. Left Midfielder

May too modern fella.
I mean, what number does your inside-right wear or left-half?
Your team has no wingers? aka outside-right/left

And should you be allowed a sub? Number 12 I assume. [what year did they bring that in?]

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
what tugs at my OCD-lite annoyance is the team listing on the screens

Keeper is always first - despite the number, then the rest are numeric

despite their position

it should be listed as Keeper, Defenders, mid, attackers

P1080004-Copy.jpg

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Wilfried Bony is not only wearing a shirt with Wilfried on, he is also wearing No.2.

Yet it's acceptable for Bruno Saltor to have Bruno on his shirt?

Totally agree with the numbers though. Can't remember who, but I've seen a goalkeeper with number 7 on his shirt and it drove me nuts.

Oct 25, 2003
Isn't there a bit of a thing for describing positions by a number at the moment in world football...? The OP would approve.

most of the young lads that play for the team I manage describe positions heavily influenced by FIFA. For example, one of the lads asked me who was playing 'cdm' and I had no idea what he was talking about

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here