Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] I'm thinking of buying a Camera Drone - advice needed

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, as I've said, I'm thinking about getting my first camera drone. It will be to take video footage and photos here in Sussex, and on holidays (skiing is something I really fancy using it with).

My requirements are:

1. Video capability - min HD, ideally 4k
  2. Photos capability
  3. Portable
  4. Easy to fly
  5. Follow me mode
  6. Ideally for under or close to £1k

From the research I've performed, the ones that have my interest are:

• DJI Mavic Pro - c£1100 for bundle with extra batteries etc
  • DJI Spark - c£600 with extras
  • DJI Phantom 3 Standard - c£400

So, does anyone on here own one and can provide some guidance on which models to consider beyond this list, and which is best?

Thanks

P.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My own personal opinion is that they should be banned. We were recently on the grass at Goring Green with my grandchildren and there was one passing over us for most of the time and surely that cannot be right taking pictures of our young grandchildren possibly, Not saying that you are going to, but obviously it leaves the way open for such actions by the unscrupulous and punishes the genuine people. I must point out that this is a personal view and it is obviously up to individuals as to what they wish to use them for.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Only used a Spark.

Tiny so v portable. Doesn't look too serious/intimidating. Footage good enough for social media. As I think you've realised, the controller/extra batteries are a must.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I watched some drone racing a few weeks ago. Some big names have sunk a lot of money into the National drone racing league but it doesn't seem to have taken off.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I have a phantom 3 professional. Longer range than a standard and extra functions. Shoots 4K which is great. Extra batteries are essential. But seriously, you need to think how often you would fly it as they are a lot of money ��. Used mine mainly at sailing events. The negative press stops me from using it more often.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thanks [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - I'll have a watch later (currently at work).
[MENTION=25007]Albion in the north[/MENTION] That is a consideration - but as long as you're not 'put off' by negative press etc, there are loads of situations locally where you can use it. Plus of course there's holidays.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My own personal opinion is that they should be banned. We were recently on the grass at Goring Green with my grandchildren and there was one passing over us for most of the time and surely that cannot be right taking pictures of our young grandchildren possibly, Not saying that you are going to, but obviously it leaves the way open for such actions by the unscrupulous and punishes the genuine people. I must point out that this is a personal view and it is obviously up to individuals as to what they wish to use them for.

Given that people could be taking pictures – or even shooting video – with mobile phones too, should they be banned as well?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Given that people could be taking pictures – or even shooting video – with mobile phones too, should they be banned as well?

They are, and you are able to take action against them if you wish. Hence at school sports days the head master asks people not to take pictures unless thy have the permission of all of the parents of the children being photographed. Obviously impractical to implement but it covers the school against any parent suing

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Quite right BG ,If one of these came withing reaching distance of me i would kick the shit out of it .

The best ones have collision avoidance systems. I'm not so sure about angry curmudgeon avoidance though :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Quite right BG ,If one of these came withing reaching distance of me i would kick the shit out of it .

My nephew traced its route back to South Ferring /Kingstron Gorse and it is unknown who operated it. May well have been a pervert who knows or why would it hover over the same area of grass with numerous young children playing, for something like 30 mins off and on.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My nephew traced its route back to South Ferring /Kingstron Gorse and it is unknown who operated it. May well have been a pervert who knows or why would it hover over the same area of grass with numerous young children playing, for something like 30 mins off and on.

Blimey - which model was that? 30+ minutes of flight on a single charge. Sounds great.

I take your point though. Having spent some days down at the Ferring end of the grass with my family, there tend to be a group of drone enthusiasts who park on the 'backroad' that goes through the cornfields and back towards Goring (with the height barriers) and practice flying their craft. It may have been someone from there, although it doesn't explain why they kept it over a recreational area for so long - there's nothing particularly scenic there.

My neighbour was worried about a drone that was hovering over his house in the summer, as he keep motorbikes in his back garden and was worried someone was scoping his place out for a robbery.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Blimey - which model was that? 30+ minutes of flight on a single charge. Sounds great.

I take your point though. Having spent some days down at the Ferring end of the grass with my family, there tend to be a group of drone enthusiasts who park on the 'backroad' that goes through the cornfields and back towards Goring (with the height barriers) and practice flying their craft. It may have been someone from there, although it doesn't explain why they kept it over a recreational area for so long - there's nothing particularly scenic there.

My neighbour was worried about a drone that was hovering over his house in the summer, as he keep motorbikes in his back garden and was worried someone was scoping his place out for a robbery.

It was off and on for about 30 mins as we noticed so possibly not on one charge. What amazes me is that they can operate and drop things over a prison wall with no apparent control at all

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Can you hover it over the Amex on matchdays and provide a video stream for us please??

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can you hover it over the Amex on matchdays and provide a video stream for us please??

I'd need to change the battery every 20-30 minutes. Plus I don't think they'd 'like' it

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It was off and on for about 30 mins as we noticed so possibly not on one charge. What amazes me is that they can operate and drop things over a prison wall with no apparent control at all

Isn't that why they have drone blocking technology now?

I'd suggest the Goring ones are simply people learning to fly them in one of the few flat / open spaces locally where it's safe to do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here