Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Harvey Weinstein

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Shaping up well for US Presidential candidate at some point, seems to have the right credentials...

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
His apologetic platitudes just highlight how arrogant and unrepentant he really is. His acknowledgement that he has a problem and that he's going to seek therapy for his sex addiction just demonstrates how little he understands what his problem actually is. There's nothing inherently wrong with being a sex addict as that shouldn't mean he poses a threat to women. There are plenty of consensual ways to satisfy a sex addiction especially if you have his wealth. He's in denial of what his real problem is which is a predator and abuser who exploits his power and influence to facilitate that abuse. It's the same mindset as Saville but he targets women instead of children. What also pisses me off is the way his behaviour is largely tolerated until someone has the guts to speak out and then all of a sudden all his friends and associates have to make public declarations of shock and disapproval which is another Saville parallel because a lot of those people were probably fully aware of what he was like already. It was common knowledge. I can't stand that hypocrisy. The way people turn a blind eye and tolerate such behaviour because no one wants to rock the boat really disgusts me almost as much as Weinstein's own behaviour.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
His apologetic platitudes just highlight how arrogant and unrepentant he really is. His acknowledgement that he has a problem and that he's going to seek therapy for his sex addiction just demonstrates how little he understands what his problem actually is. There's nothing inherently wrong with being a sex addict as that shouldn't mean he poses a threat to women. There are plenty of consensual ways to satisfy a sex addiction especially if you have his wealth. He's in denial of what his real problem is which is a predator and abuser who exploits his power and influence to facilitate that abuse. It's the same mindset as Saville but he targets women instead of children. What also pisses me off is the way his behaviour is largely tolerated until someone has the guts to speak out and then all of a sudden all his friends and associates have to make public declarations of shock and disapproval which is another Saville parallel because a lot of those people were probably fully aware of what he was like already. It was common knowledge. I can't stand that hypocrisy. The way people turn a blind eye and tolerate such behaviour because no one wants to rock the boat really disgusts me almost as much as Weinstein's own behaviour.

plus the fact that he is " in the club" will most likely mean he will get off without punishment of any sort.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Funny how a number of actresses/models on the way up in their careers said and did nothing at the time. Now that Weinstein's influence has waned and their careers have strengthened, all of sudden there is a rush to accuse.
The ' casting couch ' has been around for a long time and for a long time, aspiring actresses/models accepted that it was part of getting their foot on the ladder. Not condoning it, just saying that it is nothing new.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Funny how a number of actresses/models on the way up in their careers said and did nothing at the time. Now that Weinstein's influence has waned and their careers have strengthened, all of sudden there is a rush to accuse.
The ' casting couch ' has been around for a long time and for a long time, aspiring actresses/models accepted that it was part of getting their foot on the ladder. Not condoning it, just saying that it is nothing new.

A lot of them didn't accept it. Many of them regected his advances as the tape recording of one of the incidences will testify. Many of them did tell others and even reported him to the police in at least once instance but no action was taken. Those that didn't say anything and remained silent did so because they were scared of the backlash from those in the industry. They would have been treated as the wrong doer for causing trouble which wouldn't have been particularly pleasant for them. I'm not saying they wouldn't have been believed because that wouldn't strictly be true because people knew what he was like but even with their knowledge of what he was like they would still treat the women reporting him as the wrongdoer. How do you think that would make those women feel? It's almost worse than not being believed. It's like telling them that what happened to them was ok because good old Harvey did it and many of those people had vested interests to ensure Harvey didn't get into any trouble because that might have affected their own lives which is why they were so ready to sweep it under the hollywood red carpet. So them remaining silent isn't them accepting it, it's just them not wanting to be treated as a pariah when they were the victims. These women were in extremely difficult and uncomfortable positions. Acceptance just doesn't come into it.

Also the only reason there is a sudden "rush to accuse" as you put it is because one woman had the courage to go public and that gave all the other women the strength and courage to come forward. It was the same sudden rush we witnessed when that ex footballer had the courage to come forward after remaining silent after all those years. It gave the courage to all the other victims of the abuse they suffered. There was no "acceptance" of what they had suffered either just as the victims of Weinstein didn't accept what happened to them.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

That reads like an "I'm not racist but" comment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Great post, and exactly that thought ran through my mind when his wife spoke out at the beginning of the week. I just thought "you gutless cow"

Not really "funny" at all, as much as perfectly understandable. An all-powerful misogynistic sex-pest abuses his power to take advantage of attractive professional nobodies and gets his comeupppance when the tables are turned - hardly rocket science why that is the case. Would you rather these actresses kept quiet once they were so well known that they felt empowered enough to speak out? Or is "funny" according to you that powerless kids didn't speak out against Jimmy Savile at the time, but did so when they turned into adults?

Last edited:

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton

You absolute wrongun!!!!!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
plus the fact that he is " in the club" will most likely mean he will get off without punishment of any sort.

I don't know, he's quickly become an OJ Simpson-esque pariah, which is the only way anything dents the otherwise impenetrable shell of narcissists like him, being driven out of the inner circle.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I see that hero of the right Tim Montgomerie has surprisingly stepped in to defend the elderly white male. What a tosser. We wonder why Women don't come forward...

There should be tweet just below! "Maitlis interview of Emma Thompson was PR for latter. ET not pressed on what she’d done to tackle the abuse she claimed was everywhere"

[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/maitlis?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@maitlis</a> interview of Emma Thompson was PR for latter. ET not pressed on what she’d done to tackle the abuse she claimed was everywhere</p>— Tim Montgomerie ن (@montie) <a href="https://twitter.com/montie/status/918597392227880961?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">12 October 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/tweet]

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I don't know, he's quickly become an OJ Simpson-esque pariah, which is the only way anything dents the otherwise impenetrable shell of narcissists like him, being driven out of the inner circle.

Agree. Whilst in-the-club you will be protected. But if your crime is too widely exposed then you'll be dropped like hot shit. Is that a term? Just felt about right.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I see that hero of the right Tim Montgomerie has surprisingly stepped in to defend the elderly white male. What a tosser. We wonder why Women don't come forward...

I'd forgotten about Montgomerie. He used to sully the Times comment pages. I see he used to work for Iain Duncan Smith. Explains everything.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

I totally agree with all you say, my biggest frustration is when people DON'T use paragraphs !!!!!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's been rumours about HW for years. And not just sex related stuff. I'm not going to say what because of libel etc but I hope it all comes out. If proven he'd go down for a very very long time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I thought that the casting couch has been a tradition in Hollywood since films were first made there ?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If you were going to write a screenplay for a film about a Hollywood producer what would the lead character be?

Would it be anything other than a repulsive, bullying, sexual predator? A bloated, sordid, self entitled, sweaty gargantua endlessly puffing on a cigar, demanding to be endlessly fellated by an endless stream of ingenue wannabe starlets?

If you presented a treatment that strayed from the above character outline to 'Big Harv' he would probably responded with a '**** you buddy, you'll never work in this crazy old town again'

.....anyway

What a ****ing ********.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here