Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Switzerland

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Sort of. It shows that their group was uneven and only one or two games was going to decide it as it wasn’t much of a contest.

Certainly not one for the neutrals.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Currently number 7 in the World Ranking too. If they qualify for Russia they'll be one of the seeds.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Currently number 7 in the World Ranking too. If they qualify for Russia they'll be one of the seeds.

They've done really well - but this aspect apparently is also partly because they've exploited the rankings by carefully timing friendlies and not being involved in too many (very complicated but losing them, particularly, reduces your average). It seems Wales did similar to get a favourable draw at the Euros and others like Poland have also played the system. England know about the loophole but the FA are too shambolic - and presumably money-orientated - to make use of something which would give the team a better chance at the major tournaments....

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
England know about the loophole but the FA are too shambolic - and presumably money-orientated - to make use of something which would give the team a better chance at the major tournaments....

I don't think the FA want to create a scenario where England coast into finals and then look absolute pony when playing half-decent sides. No, wait...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, apart from the alps, this is the dullest county I have ever visited.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
As an aside, apart from the alps, this is the dullest county I have ever visited.

You can't really take the Alps out of Switzerland.

I and Mrs DiS spent a few days in Switzerland in our Motorhome two summers ago. We stayed in a place called Vistnau by Lake Lucerne. On one day we went by boat across the Lake to Lucerne, spent the day in Lucerne and then came back making sure we were on a time which was scheduled to be a paddle steamer. Beautiful day weatherwise, stunning Scenery and Lucerne was beautiful..... and interesting. What's not to like.

But it was very expensive!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
They've done really well - but this aspect apparently is also partly because they've exploited the rankings by carefully timing friendlies and not being involved in too many (very complicated but losing them, particularly, reduces your average). It seems Wales did similar to get a favourable draw at the Euros and others like Poland have also played the system. England know about the loophole but the FA are too shambolic - and presumably money-orientated - to make use of something which would give the team a better chance at the major tournaments....

This annoys me no end. The FIFA rankings are a joke simply because they allow this possibility. The seeded teams should be the best teams, not the teams who have cleverly avoided playing games in the relevant time period. It's unsurprising that the FA are so shite at playing the game. Just like when we tried to win the WC bid, and sort of bribed people by giving handbags to the wives of delegates. Or some pathetic attempt. If you're going to bribe someone, don't mess about.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can't really take the Alps out of Switzerland.

I and Mrs DiS spent a few days in Switzerland in our Motorhome two summers ago. We stayed in a place called Vistnau by Lake Lucerne. On one day we went by boat across the Lake to Lucerne, spent the day in Lucerne and then came back making sure we were on a time which was scheduled to be a paddle steamer. Beautiful day weatherwise, stunning Scenery and Lucerne was beautiful..... and interesting. What's not to like.

But it was very expensive!

True. But to me the only good thing about Switzerland is the alps. And these are not unique to Switzerland. And Geneva and Zurich are very dull cities.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Something to do with all the Germans?

Not at all. I'm a city person and, generally I can find something good in most cities, but Geneva, Zurich do not excite me. I'm staying in Geneva for a day early next year so if anyone wants to suggest something I'm game to be converted.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
True. But to me the only good thing about Switzerland is the alps. And these are not unique to Switzerland. And Geneva and Zurich are very dull cities.

Oh, I don't know - they make nice chocolate, and excellent mechanical watches too.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, I don't know - they make nice chocolate, and excellent mechanical watches too.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth and how will the fact they make good watches affect my enjoyment of, say, Geneva? And I don't wear a watch.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I don't have much of a sweet tooth and how will the fact they make good watches affect my enjoyment of, say, Geneva? And I don't wear a watch.

I was responding to the phrase "...the only good thing...". I note that even though you don't wear a watch, you say now "...the fact they make good watches..."

That's two things then: alps and good watches.

:smile:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not at all. I'm a city person and, generally I can find something good in most cities, but Geneva, Zurich do not excite me. I'm staying in Geneva for a day early next year so if anyone wants to suggest something I'm game to be converted.

To be fair, from what I've seen, they are dull and probably not very exciting unless you're loaded. Basel is cool though.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was responding to the phrase "...the only good thing...". I note that even though you don't wear a watch, you say now "...the fact they make good watches..."

That's two things then: alps and good watches.

:smile:

Is Toblerone Swiss?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here