Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Scone - Pronounciation

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
As we seem to be having an evening of random threads (well, it is the international break after all), I'm going to call on NSC's collective wisdom to settle a debate chez Frutos - scone to rhyme with gone, or scone to rhyme with cone?

On a slight tangent, jam then cream, or cream then jam?

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Gone.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
As we seem to be having an evening of random threads (well, it is the international break after all), I'm going to call on NSC's collective wisdom to settle a debate chez Frutos - scone to rhyme with gone, or scone to rhyme with cone?

On a slight tangent, jam then cream, or cream then jam?

Tomao sauce or brown sauce

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mr and Mrs [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] kept saying scone/gone the other day and I kept replying with scone/cone. They didn't call me out on it.

I did however called out Mr PL who revealed he has butter AND cream AND jam. The man's an utter lunatic.

Petunia

Living the dream
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I sometimes say ‘cone’, and sometimes ‘gone’. I tend to go for the Cornish method myself.

The Devonian (or Devonshire) method is to split the scone in two, cover each half with clotted cream, and then add strawberry jam on top. ... With the Cornish method, the warm scone is first split in two, then spread with strawberry jam, and finally topped with a spoonful of clotted cream.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Definately scone as in cone.
Its a Cornwall/Devon thing whether or not you put the Clotted cream in first or last, i prefer strawberry jam on top of the cream, but this sort of stupid rivalry that this country throws up in a lot of things is truly pathetic.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This thread, and he cheese on toast one, has me shaking my head in disbelief. How can so many of you be wrong? Scone rhymes with gone unless you're a northerner or some sort of bumpkin.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gone.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I asked the maid, in a dulcet tone,
To order me a buttered scone.
The silly girl has been and gone,
And ordered me a buttered scon.!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Mr and Mrs [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] kept saying scone/gone the other day and I kept replying with scone/cone. They didn't call me out on it.

I did however called out Mr PL who revealed he has butter AND cream AND jam. The man's an utter lunatic.
Clotted Cream and jam is the only acceptable combination on a scone/cone.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
Fastest cake in the shop. Doesn't work if you rhyme it with cone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here