Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some nightmare play-off scenarios tonight

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If Wales and Croatia both draw this evening (with Croatia scoring one more, eg 0-0 and 1-1), then they are level on points, goal difference and goals scored - and into fair play points and even lots for who gets a play-off spot. If Ireland win they're in, if Wales and Croatia win, they're in at Slovakia's expense.

At least Scotland were spared any chance of that extra agony.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
At least England got an 'easy' group.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well at least they get some excitement from the borefest of qualifying.

Did any of you England diehards enjoy some of the qualifying games we excelled in? Genuine question, I didn’t manage to watch more than about 15 mins of any of the games, too dire and infuriating to watch for me.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Did any of you England diehards enjoy some of the qualifying games we excelled in? Genuine question, I didn’t manage to watch more than about 15 mins of any of the games, too dire and infuriating to watch for me.

If you hate watching England so much...don't watch them. You remind me of one of those Mary Whitehouse campaigners, just switch off the TV instead of being so outraged, and don't bother watching England in the World Cup.

Most people agree that recent performances have been less than thrilling, but you're obsessed with knocking a team that has walked its group, albeit an easy-ish one.

You may take qualifying for granted, but plenty of countries don't (Scotland, obviously). And some more of those are in action tonight.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Portugal vs Switzerland is probably game of the night tonight - Switzerland have won all 9 of their games, Portugal winning 8 and losing just the away game with the Swiss.

A Portugal win puts them through as group winners and the Swiss into the play-offs but as a seeded team.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Portugal vs Switzerland is probably game of the night tonight - Switzerland have won all 9 of their games, Portugal winning 8 and losing just the away game with the Swiss.

A Portugal win puts them through as group winners and the Swiss into the play-offs but as a seeded team.

Been a good group that one.

And a win v Iceland at home to Kosovo would see them definitely through as group winners. And raise the intriguing possibility of being in England's group in Russia...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you hate watching England so much...don't watch them. You remind me of one of those Mary Whitehouse campaigners, just switch off the TV instead of being so outraged, and don't bother watching England in the World Cup.

Most people agree that recent performances have been less than thrilling, but you're obsessed with knocking a team that has walked its group, albeit an easy-ish one.

You may take qualifying for granted, but plenty of countries don't (Scotland, obviously). And some more of those are in action tonight.

Outraged? Yeah OK then. Apologies, I'll toddle off your thread.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Outraged? Yeah OK then. Apologies, I'll toddle off your thread.

And maybe all the others where you say exactly the same dull thing?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Iceland take the lead, 1-0 v Kosovo. Gylfi Sigurdsson with the goal. He'll find it harder on Sunday...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I went to both Scotland games. I really enjoyed them especially the away game. Passionate, proper game. Great atmosphere. Everything all the other games didn't have.

It's fashionable to moan about England but they have breezed through qualification. They won't win the World Cup in Russia but I see the squad and a lot of decent youngsters coming through across all positions and I am optimistic about the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here