Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Microsoft giving up on Windows 10 Mobile

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm a little bit surprised it's taken this long.

"The OS accounted for just 0.03% of the global market - based on smartphone shipments - between April and June, according to research company IDC." >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41551546

It fares a little bit better on NSC, with 0.45% of visitors in September using Windows Mobile.

iOS: 43.32%
Windows: 26.56%
Android: 22.44%
Macintosh: 6.20%
Windows Phone: 0.45%

So, Windows Mobile users, who are you?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I was until I washed my phone in error, now android - NB work phone, never bothered getting a personal phone

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think [MENTION=272]Gritt23[/MENTION] is a Windows boy, or at least he was. He just likes being awkward.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I've got one. It's my work phone and i feckin hate it. Just dross. really really bad.

My only defence is that it's free.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Microsoft have really flopped in the last few years. Windows phone now extinct. Xbox 1 sales completely destroyed by PS4 despite the 360 selling more units than Sony's PS3. Google Chromebooks are finding themselves in schools now.

Where has it all gone wrong for Microsoft ?

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Microsoft have really flopped in the last few years. Windows phone now extinct. Xbox 1 sales completely destroyed by PS4 despite the 360 selling more units than Sony's PS3. Google Chromebooks are finding themselves in schools now.

Where has it all gone wrong for Microsoft ?

Gone wrong? Have you seen their share price?

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 19.55.21.png

Since Satya Nadella took over, he has been slowly but surely repositioning Microsoft and has done a great job of it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Since Satya Nadella took over, he has been slowly but surely repositioning Microsoft and has done a great job of it.

repositioning them as...? obviously someone likes what they are doing, but i couldnt tell you what it is. apart from milking Office as subscription service.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I dropped my i phone today and smashed the screen:angry:
When i changed my sim only deal last year they sent me a new phone but i carried on with my i phone without even opening the box.
So when i opened it today i discovered that its a made by Microsoft.
I did not even know that Microsoft made mobiles, trying to get the hang of it now, so looks like i am going to go windows.
Having said that there is a shop in Plymouth that replaces screens for £25 so i will be back to my i phone by saturday.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Wife has one as a work phone, horrible piece of kit. Her firm buys them second hand becuase they are cheap.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think [MENTION=272]Gritt23[/MENTION] is a Windows boy, or at least he was. He just likes being awkward.

No, I've been iPhone for a couple of phones now mate - probably about 5 years! I used to be Blackberry but they just weren't keeping up with what others were doing, and the whole family was iPhone so it made it easier if I joined them.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
0.45% - what's that in actual terms?
i.e. it would be 10 people if the sum of users was 2,223 - what are the actual numbers?

I rarely use my [Android] phone for internet - I have a Windows Surface Pro [2½ years now] and it's one of the best bits of IT kit I've ever bought ....

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not being an iPhone person, how did that make it easier instead of going independently Android

There were a few apps that they were on, and I was missing out on. For example, "Find my iPhone", and we're all logged in, so at any time we can see where each other are. Sounds a bit Big Brother, but actually very practical with the kids. My son would be somewhere in town, you ring, he doesn't answer, you text, he doesn't reply, eventually you get "in the High Street" ...... much easier to find him courtesy of the app, because it would give a live GPS location.

IM, iCloud, it was all working so well for the other 3 sharing stuff, that it made more sense to just go with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here