Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wales tonight

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As much as we all talk about Scotland and glorious failure, historically this has been Welsh football's area of expertise hasn't it? 1979 at Anfield, 1985 and Jock Stein (RIP), Paul Bodin's penalty against Romania, the list goes on and on.

Anyway, let's be clear about this - it's going to happen AGAIN tonight:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/worl...-worst-runners-up-and-miss-world-cup-playoffs

If you can't be arsed with that, the jist is that despite being unbeaten through a decent group, despite only needing a draw to finish second tonight, they look set to miss out unless they can conjure a win from their final group game. In all likelihood, a draw would only give them a 50/50 chance (at best!) of progressing to the play offs.

So a win will see Wales progress, a win for Ireland would see them progress instead, whereas a draw would probably see both of them miss out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Also rooting for the Irish.

Rather Wales won than a draw to send them both out though - nothing against the Welsh.

COYBIG

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
100% behind Ireland tonight. Hope they smash the Welsh.

Yep, there are valid reasons to wan Scotland to fail, but the cockiness and anti-English bile the 'Welsh'* spew when they do something good at football or Rugby generates an irrational anger in me.

* anyone who had any link to Wales

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yep, there are valid reasons to wan Scotland to fail, but the cockiness and anti-English bile the 'Welsh'* spew when they do something good at football or Rugby generates an irrational anger in me.

* anyone who had any link to Wales
I still find it amusing that Chris Coleman got an OBE for "Gareth Bale being good at football".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So a win will see Wales progress, a win for Ireland would see them progress instead, whereas a draw would probably see both of them miss out.
Wales need Ukraine vs Croatia to be a draw, then a draw would work for Wales. Ireland have to win regardless.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I notice this one is at the Cardiff City Stadium and not the Millenium Stadium.

Do they play all their games there now?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh? What have I got wrong?

"Wales can only qualify with a draw if Croatia draw too and Croatia score the same or fewer goals. Croatia can only qualify with a draw if Wales draw too and Croatia score more goals."

So 2-2 for Croatia and 1-1 for Wales will see Croatia go through.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I shall be supporting Wales as I’ve lived here for over 15 years and it would be rude not to. No anti Englishness where I live.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So 2-2 for Croatia and 1-1 for Wales will see Croatia go through.
You sure about that? They'll have the same amount of points, same GD, same goals scored - wouldn't Wales will go through on fair play points? If they both draw but Croatia score two more, they'd finish higher, but Wales could still go through if Serbia lose by 2 (which won't happen).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You sure about that? They'll have the same amount of point, same GD, same goals scored - wouldn't Wales will go through on fair play points? If they both draw but Croatia score two more, they'd finish higher, but Wales could still go through if Serbia lose by 2 (which won't happen).

No.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here