Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should he really be saying this?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/10/chris-hughton-brighton-much-smaller-club-newcastle-fans-deserve-success-newcastle-united/

This makes me uncomfortable. I know Hughton is right, but it makes us seem irrelevant and that we should be grateful for whatever we get. I find myself strangely irritated that Chris would come out with such a comment...

I don't expect us to win the Champions League but we are not a tiny club either. We have decent support, facilities and a good chairman. Just because we have won nothing in the past doesn't make us small, it makes us poorly run in the past, that's it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Taken from this article: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...newcastle-deserve-success-safe-hands-13732616

“We’re a much smaller club and the expectation levels among our supporters is much lower. This is the first time Brighton have been in the Premier League and the longest they have ever spent in top-class football is about four years. In fact the club almost went out of the Football League and into liquidation at one time and have endured a lot.

“However I’ve got a good bunch of players with indomitable spirit under a fine captain in Bruno. He is 37 years of age but all the players look up to him – he’s Spanish, he dresses well and acts well, and looks after his body. A great role model.”

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Mourinho spends his life bigging up City and Chelsea - adding the pressure to them as to why they should be outperforming his poor, under-resourced minnows. I don't see why Chris shouldn't engage in something similar - albeit on a much more palatable basis!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/10/chris-hughton-brighton-much-smaller-club-newcastle-fans-deserve-success-newcastle-united/

This makes me uncomfortable. I know Hughton is right, but it makes us seem irrelevant and that we should be grateful for whatever we get. I find myself strangely irritated that Chris would come out with such a comment...

I don't expect us to win the Champions League but we are not a tiny club either. We have decent support, facilities and a good chairman. Just because we have won nothing in the past doesn't make us small, it makes us poorly run in the past, that's it.

He didn't say we're a tiny club. He said we're much smaller than Newcastle, which is correct.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Why not?
It is true.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think to be fair there is a little of Chris’s humility coming out and not trying to make out we are the Man Utd of the south like those chumps up the road did a little while ago.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Seriously who cares. This willy waving of a club being “bigger” than another club is tiresomely dull. Let’s just enjoy the season of being the “smaller” club in the top league.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Seriously who cares. This willy waving of a club being “bigger” than another club is tiresomely dull. Let’s just enjoy the season of being the “smaller” club in the top league.

This.

Arsenal are a "bigger" club but if being bigger means sitting in a soulless library I'd much rather be the little man.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Taken from this article: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...newcastle-deserve-success-safe-hands-13732616

“We’re a much smaller club and the expectation levels among our supporters is much lower. This is the first time Brighton have been in the Premier League and the longest they have ever spent in top-class football is about four years. In fact the club almost went out of the Football League and into liquidation at one time and have endured a lot.

“However I’ve got a good bunch of players with indomitable spirit under a fine captain in Bruno. He is 37 years of age but all the players look up to him – he’s Spanish, he dresses well and acts well, and looks after his body. A great role model.”

He is a beautiful man.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think to be fair there is a little of Chris’s humility coming out and not trying to make out we are the Man Utd of the south like those chumps up the road did a little while ago.

Amen for that! I don't disagree with what was said but I just think it might have been phrased better maybe? Right now, today, what is the difference between the clubs? they get about 20k more for a home game than us (Imagine the gate receipts are much the same) have some worldwide resonance that we don't have and a history that we don't. Chris feels they have more squad depth and who am I to argue that, but that is changing and will continue to do so if we survive. Look at the relative spends? It's good that we don't have delusions of grandeur like the Nigel's but I'd like to think we have some ambition and positive expectations too...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
100% support what he’s said. Anyone taking issue with needs more sleep or a 2nd coffee this morning. We aren’t a big club but presently we’re richer than an awful lot more, which is what the PL is about. Our fans aren’t delusional either. Ow, and after the Emirates experience, at least we’re fans.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's all about expectations. We want to stay up and most of us expect this to be a possibility but difficult to achieve.

The Bar Codes want to finish in the top 4, see Champions League football and have a chance of winning a trophy. They've no chance, but that's what they think is achievable.

So are they a "bigger club"? Yes. Based on fan base, historical success and ridiculous expectations.

Does it matter? No. Not in the slightest. So I have no issue with what CH said.

We just beat them.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

It's not really the size comment that bothers me, more the inference that we should be grateful to be where we are (We are grateful I know ) It may well be the reporting rather than what was actually said but it just seemed unnecessarily downplaying the Albion. I'd say we are in and around what should be our natural level, even if historically we haven't achieved it. Bottom half of the Premier, top half of the Championship....

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Also it's got to do with the context it was said in and the questions asked that prompted him to reply with that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No sane individual could argue that Newcastle are not a bigger club than us.

I'm still slightly surprised that those quotes are being attributed to Hughton though. Some may recall a video taken at the Amex where Hughton was addressing a small group of directors and associates immediately after we'd clinched promotion. It was a lovely video, as it just further illustrated the qualities that we all know Hughton to have - so modest and humble.

However, he was very unhappy that the video leaked out, primarily because he mentioned Spurs in it and he was concerned that Albion fans could be offended, if they interpreted what he said as having affection for Spurs as he is our manager. None would at all.

Based on the concern shown there, I'd be surprised if he was talking "on the record" and said anything that could be taken negatively by some.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
I think he told the truth in his own special way, he and us would love to have the toon army's pedigree,in years to come we may be able to view ourselves as equals....................fingers crossed

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove

In the Premier League we are a small club. Newcastle have a 50K capacity ground and have spent the vast majority of recent years in the top flight, so CH is right. That isn't to say that CH isn't ambitious with us.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
No sane individual could argue that Newcastle are not a bigger club than us.

I'm still slightly surprised that those quotes are being attributed to Hughton though. Some may recall a video taken at the Amex where Hughton was addressing a small group of directors and associates immediately after we'd clinched promotion. It was a lovely video, as it just further illustrated the qualities that we all know Hughton to have - so modest and humble.

However, he was very unhappy that the video leaked out, primarily because he mentioned Spurs in it and he was concerned that Albion fans could be offended, if they interpreted what he said as having affection for Spurs as he is our manager. None would at all.

Based on the concern shown there, I'd be surprised if he was talking "on the record" and said anything that could be taken negatively by some.

This covers how I feel about it far better than I managed to convey myself really. Newcastle are bigger, no argument, but why open yourself up to this? It reads like little ol Brighton are happy to be here. That's not what he meant I'm sure and may well be down to the reporting as much as anything Chris said. I'm just surprised is all...

Jan 22, 2017
It's all about expectations. We want to stay up and most of us expect this to be a possibility but difficult to achieve.

The Bar Codes want to finish in the top 4, see Champions League football and have a chance of winning a trophy. They've no chance, but that's what they think is achievable.

So are they a "bigger club"? Yes. Based on fan base, historical success and ridiculous expectations.

Does it matter? No. Not in the slightest. So I have no issue with what CH said.

We just beat them.

We really don't think that at all. Maybe there are some deluded mongs amongst our support but every club has them. Long term we want to be competing for trophies, but surely long term competing for mid table in the PL would be poor ambition for very club? This season avoiding the drop would be pleasing, especially if it's comfortably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here